A question about Scuba Board posting etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Oceanic computer, and I did not find the manual friendly at all.

BUT had I not started there, I would not have known that. Had I not started there, there would have been no focus to the questions I brought back to my LDS. I would have wasted their time and mine. Had I not started there but instead relied solely on other sources, I would not now be able to have a quick glance at the manual to refresh myself.

My LDS will not be in my kit when I go on a dive. Dive Nav will not be in my kit when I go on a dive. The manual will.

No one is suggesting or has suggested that a manual is the be all and end all. But it does have its purpose.

For the instructors here, when you have a student sign up for a course and they show up having done zero preparation, no reading, no idea what is going on, how do you feel about that? How do you feel about how much time they waste for you and the rest of the class? What if they show up for the second class or the third still not having done any reading or other prep? How well will your patience hold up?

At some point you have to take some responsibility for doing some work on your own.

Ask your questions - I certainly do - just understand that there are different levels of tolerance for questions depending on how much the asker is taking ownership versus how much spoon feeding they are looking for. It isn't the repetition, it isn't the "level" of the question, it is the context.

For those who have great patience, kudos to you. But the rest of us aren't wrong either.

You're not wrong ... but nobody's forcing you to respond to a question you think shouldn't have been asked either.

I've never understood why anyone feels they have a right to a snarky answer to someone else's question ... if it isn't something that strikes your fancy, we're all better off if you just move on to someone else's thread.

Nobody has to "take responsibility" by your standards ... you have a right to live your life and make your decisions according to them ... but not to impose them on others.

Rather than saying "Do a search" ... save yourself some effort and move on to a different topic. Snarky answers are neither appreciated nor helpful to anyone ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - that's a rhetorical "you" ... not you, personally ...

Last edited:
You're not wrong ... but nobody's forcing you to respond to a question you think shouldn't have been asked either.

I've never understood why anyone feels they have a right to a snarky answer to someone else's question ... if it isn't something that strikes your fancy, we're all better off if you just move on to someone else's thread.

Nobody has to "take responsibility" by your standards ... you have a right to live your life and make your decisions according to them ... but not to impose them on others.

Rather than saying "Do a search" ... save yourself some effort and move on to a different topic. Snarky answers are neither appreciated nor helpful to anyone ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - that's a rhetorical "you" ... not you, personally ...

Thanks for the PS. With that thrown in, I can agree with the rest :).

I typically DON'T respond to questions I don't like because it usually degenerates quickly and life is too short. Sometimes that happens anyway even when you are not trying to be snarky and that is pain enough - I don't need to go looking for it LOL.

Having said that, sometimes I do slip, but I am usually put in my place pretty quickly :D

...//...sometimes I do slip, but I am usually put in my place pretty quickly :D

Had a recent "whap upside the head" served by Quero. She's a really decent sort of mod. Decided to suck it up and start behaving better.

-all part of fitting into this community...

:D

Can this be a "shake hands and be friends" thread?

Sorry goes out to gcarter & oreo, because I have a tendancy of lashing out at nitpicks, when I see it as nitpicking w/o justification.

Ah, boards are so easy to get peeved, and the other goes WTH???

As per this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/aqua-lung/374877-why-push-i3.html

Simple ... because some folks know how to produce documentation that's understandable, while others merely know how to produce documentation that's technically accurate. The two are not the same.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I started working on Japanese copiers in the mid 70's the manuals were direct translation of the Japanese manual and you could get a headache trying to read and understand while trying to solve a problem. Not only do they express ideas differently, they think differently. I've had years to get used to it and the manuals are better now.

What I try to take from that experience is to read for the content and not get hung up on how it is presented. I reread my own posts before posting to see if I am helping and not pouring gas on a fire, as much as I might like, or would if the conversation were in person.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

What I try to take from that experience is to read for the content and not get hung up on how it is presented. I reread my own posts before posting to see if I am helping and not pouring gas on a fire, as much as I might like, or would if the conversation were in person.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I tend to re-read mine after they're posted and make use of the Edit function ... hence the PS ... I realized it could be taken in a way different than intended.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I haven't felt particularly picked on or abused,
Thanks for the input. I'll discuss this with the mods and get on to them to pick up the pace! :D
Oops! I just accepted Matt's friendship request. Do I have to undo it now, boss????

Oops! I just accepted Matt's friendship request. Do I have to undo it now, boss????

p.jpg

Did you get that memo?

Oh, oh, and I almost forgot. Ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom