a question about sea hunt tv show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, I swim a mile or so a day, most serious swimmers, male or female, wear swim caps. It helps prevent chlorine hair, it actually provides some warmth, and it reduces the exhaust bubbles noise in my ears. The noise thing is by itself more than enough reason and there is some reduced drag, depending upon the hair style, especially for women.

N

Nope 9 times out of 10 mike used double tanks and the bad guys used single tanks. I am also old enough that I watched Sea Hunt when it was originally on tv. I also watched the old Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford when the episodes were new on tv.

it may have been coincidence, but I remember the bad guys usually had doubles, and the good guys singles. I'm remembering that from the originals, not reruns, and I was pretty young, but I always rooted for the guys with singles because of that. It would be interesting to go back and watch to see if that was the case.

---------- Post added May 25th, 2013 at 11:07 PM ----------

I didn't want to tack this on to the end of this quote. But I couldn't get it posted any other way on this thread.
1 episode of Sea Hunt I remember when Mike spent those few days in a deep sea diving bell and the hatch dogs got bent. The producers didn't do there homework on that episode. 1 if he was really that deep. Mikes voice would have been very high pitched from breathing the helium mixed with nitrogen need for deep diving. His voice was normal pitch. also how was he supposed to pull that big heavy hatch inside the bell with the bell up right on the bottom of the ocean. And the hatch won't fit through the opening from underneath, that it is suppose to seal. My farther was a machinist and a boat designer. My room mate calls it a case of hollyweerd.

Steve

Last edited:

I didn't want to tack this on to the end of this quote. But I couldn't get it posted any other way on this thread.
1 episode of Sea Hunt I remember when Mike spent those few days in a deep sea diving bell and the hatch dogs got bent. The producers didn't do there homework on that episode. 1 if he was really that deep. Mikes voice would have been very high pitched from breathing the helium mixed with nitrogen need for deep diving. His voice was normal pitch. also how was he supposed to pull that big heavy hatch inside the bell with the bell up right on the bottom of the ocean. And the hatch won't fit through the opening from underneath, that it is suppose to seal. My farther was a machinist and a boat designer. My room mate calls it a case of hollyweerd.

Steve

That is relatively minor compared to all the technical errors and discrepancies that the show contained.

I am almost certain that there were technical discrepancies and errors in just about every one of the 155 episodes.

The episode “Magnetic Mine” (season one #21) it showed so many technical errors and different mines (that were supposed to be the same) that it is truly funny.

Even their geography knowledge was way off (or what they showed). In the episode “The Dam” (season two #51, 12 in the season) they are talking about traveling way south past the Panama Canal at the same time that they are showing a map where they land in central Mexico. About half of the episodes seem to occur in an imaginary "Small South American Country" (many ruled by a dictator).
:lol:

Editing errors like the tank configuration changing multiple times on different scenes of the same dive were also common (starting with doubles but showing triple tanks and back to doubles or single tank occurred frequently).

All that being said, it was the best underwater action show at the time and it can be easily argued that nothing has being produced that had the impact that Sea Hunt did (and still does).

I saw the original Spanish translated realizes when I lived in Puerto Rico, in the 1960’s, which got me into diving in the early 70’s.

BTW, I have bought four different sets of Sea Hunt (during the last several years), but the most recent set sold at Amazon.com is by far the best. This is not a bootleg copy, but a truly re-mastered released from MGM. You can get all four seasons for just over $50 which I think it is a great deal.

The new release is very clear and you can clearly see a lot of great detail (including some of the errors). It is great to see in detail the equipment used. In the episodes that I have seen, the audio is also very clear.

I highly recommend that anyone that has any interest in Sea Hunt should get a copy. We can then start some trivia games based on the show. :D

While we are at it, on the episode “Killer Whale” (Season one #11) can anyone tell me what kind of whale were they showing in the underwater shots? On most of the surface shots they did show the dorsal fin of an Orca, but on the underwater shots it was a totally different type of whales. I don’t know what they were and I am curious.
Thanks

Just for the record, the B&W photo above was taken May 2011...good friends of mine.

And I don't think I can see a thing that would give it away either. Anybody looking at that would be unlikely to date it past the mid 60's.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2013 at 09:41 AM ----------

All that being said, it was the best underwater action show at the time and it can be easily argued that nothing has being produced that had the impact that Sea Hunt did (and still does).

It was the best underwater action show ever. Sure it was cheesy and they got more things wrong than they did right, but it had the same kind of appeal that Star Trek did.

Some of the highlights in my opinion would be the diver playing golf with the guitar fish while narked and any scene that involved "current". I always get a kick out of seeing someone thrash around like they're having a seizure when they get caught in a current. That's straight out of the Ed Wood school of special effects.

I watched these shows before going into the pool at the YMCA for swim team practices in the 1950s. My favorite "technical error" was when they would show Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) in their farther scenes using grey hoses with the updated Voit mouthpiece, and in a closeup with the green hoses and green "T" style mouthpiece. They did that over and over, as I recall.

SeaRat

Luis, it's been a while but I seem to recall it being a Pilot whale.

When in doubt underwater I always ask myself the question: WWMND?

The other thing I thought strange is the weight belts. On the surface they were worn outside the wetsuit and then underwater they would be worn inside the wetsuit.

I think Sky King could whoop Mike Nelson.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom