A question about the devils eye/ear entrances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is the very first thread on any forum that is totally unanimous.

I will not be the one to disagree either.

This troll should find a different why to commit suicide that will not jeopardize other divers.

wtcreaux, thanks for your input, but do you really think there is NOBODY intelligent enough to figure out how to safely do something on their own?

TSandM, thanks for pointing out the ease of getting into the catacombs.

PfcAJ, thanks for about the only post that answered the question and still managed to intelligently get your other opinions across.

JamesK, according to my map, the devils ear and eye are in navigable waters, owned by the state and under the equal footing doctrine the owners of ginnie springs cannot police what goes on there.

Ianr33, don't be so sure. Also, don't think that there are not people out there who can figure out how to do things safely on their own. I've seen video of Jacques cousteau cave diving. Who certified him?

Ayisha, thanks for actually reading my post.

Bamafan, don't assume I'm trolling.

Now a couple of points...

One. I hate to see people who take an activity freely available to anyone in a free country and try to plant their flag on it and charge people out the yazoo to do it.. for example... a couple of weeks ago I wanted to dive king spring. I get online and see a number of people charging 50 bucks a head to take them out on cattle boats. I got the gps coordinates, hopped in my canoe and paddled right out and dove.

Should I pay you or your friends 300 dollars for a basic cave class, oh wait, you need the 300 dollar intro to cave prerequesite ... oh, wait, no you need the 300 dollar cavern class first.. oh wait.... blah blah blah

Why are you not screaming about all the open water divers who go into the ballroom? I highly doubt even a small percentage of the people in there have had a cavern class.

Anyway, Thanks for the one person who actually gave me some input about topography, which is what I asked about.

You're welcome.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2012 at 01:42 PM ----------

Oh and the ballroom is completely different from what you are trying to do. I believe I mentioned the false exits, and the line traps. You are leaving a cavern zone and heading in to true cave zone.

wtcreaux, thanks for your input, but do you really think there is NOBODY intelligent enough to figure out how to safely do something on their own?
Why make the same mistakes that have already been made by others & cost them their lives?:shakehead: There is MUCH more to it than you know. That is why the training is so extensive. When I made my near fatal dive,... I found out very quickly, I didn't know what I didn't know & it nearly cost me dearly. A cave is unforgiving. Did I mention that there is much more to it than you know? Not just a reel, full cylinder & 2 lights,.... There's much, much, much, much, much, much..... more to it than that.
:shocked2:
Ianr33, don't be so sure. Also, don't think that there are not people out there who can figure out how to do things safely on their own. I've seen video of Jacques cousteau cave diving. Who certified him?

They were Pioneers, you are not.:no: It has already been done. Big difference. They (Cousteau, Exley, & many more....) are the ones (many of them) who died "learning it on their own" & who gave rise to the rules of safe cave diving we have & follow today. #1 Being training. #2 continuous guideline. #3 Gas management & redundancy. #4 Depth #5 Lights (redundancy). Break any of these rules & you vastly stack the deck against your survival. To risk the lives of those who must retrieve you when you don't return, is enormously selfish. Very rarely does someone get a second chance when they screw up in such an environment.

Now a couple of points...

One. I hate to see people who take an activity freely available to anyone in a free country and try to plant their flag on it and charge people out the yazoo to do it.. for example... a couple of weeks ago I wanted to dive king spring. I get online and see a number of people charging 50 bucks a head to take them out on cattle boats. I got the gps coordinates, hopped in my canoe and paddled right out and dove.

Who "has palnted any flags"? The reason for the concern is that too many deaths by those who "want to learn it on their own" will lead to the state (by laws)/ land owners (by denying access) start closing off the sites to those of us that dive them safely. You're right,... nothing can stop you from killing yourself, if that's what you really want.

Should I pay you or your friends 300 dollars for a basic cave class, oh wait, you need the 300 dollar intro to cave prerequesite ... oh, wait, no you need the 300 dollar cavern class first.. oh wait.... blah blah blah

If you want to do it safely,... it IS worth every penny. What is your life worth to you?

Why are you not screaming about all the open water divers who go into the ballroom? I highly doubt even a small percentage of the people in there have had a cavern class.

You obviously haven't read many of the threads about this topic on this board. It has been discussed Ad Nauseum, just like your thread.

I would highly recommend watching this film: A deceptively easy way to die - YouTube .

But then again,... you probably already know it all.

Troll.

No one can be this stupid.

At least not more than a couple of times.

Maybe we need a section in A&I where we can forward these posts and wait for the news to fill in after the fatalities.

flots.

People have died there. Check this out...

Cave diver's body found at Ginnie Springs | Gainesville.com

Everyone, please dive within your training. If you want to dive wrecks, caves, or deep, get the appropriate training.

Ron

FYI I'm totally aware that people have died in Ginnie.
My point was the Reaper sign is there to warn the untrained,not because someone died. It would still be there if no one had ever died there.

I tried diving a submerged cave once. I almost died. Don't be stupid. STAY OUT!

If you want to play around in an overhead environment, dive the Ballroom at Ginnie. Unless you have a serious death wish, stay out of the Devil's Ear/Eye.

I think this is the very first thread on any forum that is totally unanimous.

I will not be the one to disagree either.

This troll should find a different why to commit suicide that will not jeopardize other divers.

Not unanimous. I for one, vote for someone to give him the topography so he can go kill himself, and let all the divers with poor attitude just go die.

I do not wish for anyone to kill themselves or die. I simply wish you would heed our warnings. The only reason I get so emotional because I do not want anyone to hurt themselves. It's not about being a big bad cave diver, it's about trying to save someone from doing something that in reality is very stupid. All that wishing death on someone does is make them want to do it more.

Please understand I'm not trying to be an ass. I am simply trying to let you know you're making a bad decision.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2012 at 04:34 PM ----------

Swampy, I will be in the area tonight and if you would like to come up, have a drink and discuss why I feel that way and what could go wrong.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom