A Question As Old As The Sea Itself...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I got my camera and it looks great, the controls seem very intuitive and I love the one button video feature! The only concern I have is about the Ikelite Housing, I haven't purchased it yet but there seems to be a rash of customer complaints saying that the buttons do not work/ don't reach the camera. Does anyone have experience with this? It seems like lots of people needed to jerry rig the housing to extend the rods that press the buttons. I really would prefer the Ikelite housing as the canon seems to handicap your shooting with "helpful" features but also want a housing that will actually work! I know people have said that at depth the compression will help and the housing will work but what about if I'm shooting in 20' or less? Or just using the housing on land for protection? I won't get any shots? Please help! I've scheduled a trip to Costa Rica and want to be familiar with the housing and camera before the trip!

There are several excellent underwater photography shops in the US. Now Reef Photo is just down the way from me in Fort Lauderdale. So I can GO down and see them if I have to. I know the are 2 shops with California stores: Blue Water Photo (I think that is what it is called) and Backscatter. I know that Reef Photo is excellent. I have had good luck dealing with Backscatter also. I would strongly suggest talking to someone at one of these stores. They get to handle all the gear. They probably handle more stuff than any normal photographer even sees in a lifetime. I think the Reef Photo, Backscatter and Blue Water all carry Ikelite products. None of these shops would carry a product that they did not think was adequate.

Now, I had an Ikelite housing for my Canon G11. The housing worked well. The problem and benefit of the the Ike housing is that it is inexpensive. But it is essentially a water tight box. Ikelite jury rigs the controls. Since the controls are a bit wobbly, they can get out of adjustment and not really work all that well. But I used my housing for over 100 dives with just the odd minor problem (which I was always able to work around). If things get dicey, you can send the housing back to Ikelite and they will tweak it back into the sweet spot.

I have moved onto a DSLR with an aluminum housing. Aluminum housings are purpose built and the controls are much more precisely fitted to the camera. As such, the control is far more precise and the feel is better. But then again, you pay a whole bunch more too.

Gilligan, who posts on the Canon board, uses a Canon G12 with the Canon housing. He tends to go towards macro photos and his work is impressive. My point is that in the hands of an excellent photographer, a modest camera and housing can perform quite well.

I hope this helps,

Pat

I bought a canon sd960 is a year and a half ago for $250. It got ruined so I am looking for a new one as I have the housing already. They are still $200! How are these not cheaper??? It was old when I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom