A question not often discussed: alternatives to tradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a 7mm farmer john for years before switching to a drysuit. In many ways I think a farmer John is easier on and off than a one piece. Not sure at all where you got your info.

Definitely agree that the farmer john is super easy to put on. Basically put on some pants, then put on a jacket. You can get funny ones where the top includes some almost shorts and those would be a bit harder. In general though with the zips almost always at the front (rather than usually at the back) I have found 2 piece farmer johns easy to get into. They also give you a bit of versatility on the surface when you want to be wearing a wetsuit but not necessarily the whole thing i.e. When using it in place of a PFD on a small boat.

I have done a couple dives with a 1 piece + hooded vest. I near on dislocated my shoulder getting the vest off afterwards but I would say it was about as warm as my 2 piece farmer john.

If you go with this much neoprene be aware that it complicates your buoyancy. You are going to have a lot of Neoprene so you are going to need a lot of weight, this in turn entails a lot of air in your BCD at depth. That larger air bubble is going to swing your buoyancy faster and make things a bit harder on you in the shallows. This is why if I was purchasing a wetsuit again now I would probably have gone for the 7mm semi-dry with maybe a vest for winter if I really needed it.

Wow! I had not expected such low temps. That leads me to reconsider my options. It sounds like using a 5mm over my 3mm might be a good way too go.

I am curious about the layering concept. Has anyone something to say about that? Is it a nightmare too try to get 2 full suits on? Am I just better off with a 7mm full suit?

Before I bought a drysuit I used to wear a 7mm full suit with a vest when the water was in the lower 40s. You are a brave man to try a 3mm + vest. Using two full suits is even worse, I'd like to see a video of you trying to put them on ;-) If you layer use a proper undersuit, something like a fourth element or lavacore.

Long term, a drysuit is the way to go for those temperatures. All the money you spend on various wetsuit kludges is money you could have spent on a nice drysuit. In your place I would either buy a drysuit (wait for Black Friday sales?) or an inexpensive 7mm with vest, then replace it with a drysuit next year if you still like diving in winter.

Preparing for Texas winter dives with water temps in the low-mid 60s. While I may end up w a 7mm full suit, I want to consider other options which may be more useful for a wider variety of temps.

For or example I am considering obtaining a 5mm to layer over my 2.5mm. Or a vest/hood combination to warm core (while sacrificing some degree of extremity protection).

Would a Farmer John prove more useful throughout the various seasons?

Looking beyond the obvious drysuit/7mm full suit solution what other options might I consider.

Thank you for your thoughts.

why look beyond the obvious dry suit solution?

wetsuits are for 70 degree plus - anything below that falls in the getting cold for no reason bracket.

Ah Ha: so it IS hard to put 2 wetsuits on, one over the other. I thought so but so many posts I have read suggested layering up 2 suits, I wondered how that would. If a 7mm Farmer John is as easy (?) or at least not too much more difficult to don & doff, I am strongly considering that mainly due to having the advantage of being able to wear just the jacket as temps warm up and thus extending my diving season. I am going to look at prices of both FJ and 7mm full suits now.

Oh year, a drysuit is sure the best way to go, but my scuba budget is not there yet ��.

Isnt it it great to have this board as a resource? I have saved time, money and frustration by getting educated by fellow diving enthusiasts.

Cool.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2013 at 02:19 PM ----------

Based upon reviews and advice I have purchased a 7mm FJ. 14mm over my core should do the trick!
thanks all...

Here is the update. Got a Henderson 7mm FJ. Fit well but so restrictive that I could not reach all my valves and gauges comfortably. Returned it to Wetsuit Wearhouse (great online service), and exchanged f a 5mm FJ.

This coming Saturday it will be close to freezing surface temp (w water temp expected to be mid 40's to low 50's if lucky). We will be doing deep dive to 130' w stages stops during ascent. Once below thermocline water actually warms up about 2-4
degrees.

I will post an after dive report for those interested.

Oh, 1 more thing re last weeks dive. I experienced a total mask failure at 25' when my mask flooded and could not be cleared due to lack of a good seal over the 5mm hood I was wearing. Had a
moment or two of panicky feeling but my dive buddy was there to adjust the mask and try to get a good seal. We eventually did get at least a tighter seal and I was able to complete the dive as planned. I am thankful I
able to breathe through reg even w/o my mask on or I would have been in a more serious situation.

That is why we train, train, train and practice and then re-practice isn't it?

That panic feeling in cold water with mask floods will go away with practice, although you need to practice it frequently and if you're away from cold water any length of time, practice it again.
If it were me, I'd wait until Black Friday and get a drysuit.
Fusions and Hogs can be bought when not on sale for around $1,000 or even less. You might also look for used, starting with the LDS and Craig's List, along with all the forums.
I did the 14ml on the core farmer john for a year up in Puget Sound when I first started diving.
it took forever before I finally was able to buy a nice, custom drysuit. I'm simply not a normal,stock size girl at 5'1" with broad swimmers shoulders. For some reason, all the scuba size charts for women seem to think if you're short you need to weigh about 94 pounds and if you're not short you should still be anorexic. What is with that? I noticed in wetsuits, I wear about 2-3 sizes larger than in normal clothes. Then the wetsuit is so long that it doesn't really fit. I haven't ever looked at the men's charts but I wonder if men are expected to be twigs as well? Now, the Fusion has started making a suit that allows you to fit without needing a custom suit, which is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom