A questions about "bouncing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In certain conditions, a safety stop can be aborted. Personaly, If the situation was a strong current in a safety stop, which made it uncomfortable, I'd abort the stop, and keep myself on the concervative side for the rest of the day. Safety stops are not mandatory, and all diving tables are built to work without it. It's just another precoution, that is up to you as a diver to asses and decide it's nessesity under the present conditions. This, ofcourse has nothing to do with mandatory deompression stops. those should never be aborted, unless a life-threatning situation ocures (a hungry shark, a storm), where you'd be safer seriously risking DCS.

Hello,

Liquid, I would urge you to read the assumptions on most tables. One of those assumptions is that a safety stop WILL be done. The more of these assumptions that's not met the more inaccurate the data (from the tables) becomes.

Ed

If a table requires a stop it is clearly an obligated stop and the dive is a decompression dive. Safety stops are added to no stop tables to increase the margin of safety and reduce "silent" bubble formation, but they are not required. In other words, you have an acceptably low probability of incurring a DCS hit if you ascend directly to the surface at the proper ascent rate without a safety stop.

NetDoc, would you mind providing an exact reference as to where and when Rodale's said that "bounce" and "sea-saw" profiles were OK? I read the magazine and I only recall reverse profiles being debunked as myths. I'm sure bounce dives are still considered dangerous, particularly when done after the diver has acquired a significant N2 load from previous dives.

Ralph

Hey Ralph and all,

I will endeavor to find the article, and I may have had a JoeWR moment (senior moment for the rest of you) in all that it said. The bad part is that I am leaving for NC for about five days, and that will just have to wait. Remind me when I get back. I am positive it referred to the reverse and sea saw dives, and I think it also mad a reference to the bounce dives as well.

:tease:

A "Joewr Moment" is an "epiphany". If I said it was anything else, I forget....

Joewr...bouncing along the Board with absolutely no fear of WDCS (Web Decompression Sickness)

Dear Readers:

As long as one is relatively shallow, there is nothing wrong with a small ascent and descent as far as decompression is concerned.

Are "safety stops” required? Nothing is required if you get out of it OK. The question always is, how do I tell in advance that everything will be fine? The answer is you give yourself every advantage up front. That means what we have discussed on this board in the past year.
  • slow ascents, because they prevent the over expansion of tissue micronuclei;
  • safety stops because they are a variation of the slow ascent and further prevent the growth of micronuclei above the Laplace limit (where they turn into decompression bubbles);
  • prevention of straining after reaching the surface as musculoskeletal activity breeds tissue micronuclei.
If you follow these precepts (along with normal decompression procedures), you should be ahead of the curve. Nothing in this life is guaranteed, but this will help with diving.

Dr Deco

Hello,

Well the mere definition of a 'safety stop' is a non-obligatory decompression stop. Any time we surface we are in essence doing a 'decompression stop', it is not the 'classical' decompression stop but it's still a decompression stop none-the-less.

Ed

Hey Doc,

I heard somewhere that the big problem with very short bounce dives after a regular dive was the way the very small bubbles compress and pass through the lungs and end up in the arteries and then expand in potentially very bad areas (brain, spine, etc) as you immediately ascend (and while on the surface). During a very short bounce dive, there isn't enough time for all the bubbles to fully compress and cycle through and be offgassed properly. This is, of course, avoided by a longer bottom time and proper deco procedures. I've heard this can occur if one free dives after scuba diving.

Is this somewhat right, Doc? I ain't a biologist.

Mike

PS. This assumed a dive was done, then a quick bounce dive to a relatively shallow depth for a very short bottom time (after a relatively short SI -- less than 2-4hrs).

Hello,

Well simply put

"Jon line 6-8 ft. line used to attach diver to anchor/shot line for deco so you don¹t wear your arms out. Named for Jon Hulbert, a well-known NE wreck diver. "

(taken from -> http://wrolf.net/scuba_slang.html#J )

It's nice to have in strong/nasty conditions or when you have a cluster on the line.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom