A real rescue course - very close near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Bump = 13 months & over 200 dives later)

I assisted with another rescue yesterday. A group of divers/people watched and called 911 as the unconscious diver was being towed to the shore.

kathydee,

Given that you've already had 2 significant rescues in a relatively small period of time, could you post your dive schedule so that those of us who may not be comfortable with self-rescue skills can plan dives in that immediate area?

Or, for those who are superstitious, to not be there?:D

kathydee,

Given that you've already had 2 significant rescues in a relatively small period of time, could you post your dive schedule so that those of us who may not be comfortable with self-rescue skills can plan dives in that immediate area?

Or, for those who are superstitious, to not be there?:D

:rofl3::rofl3:

So YOU say.

I see nothing in the story as recalled by you to indicate that "diving alone" is what caused this disaster.

As a solo diver, I always find myself shaking my head as I read posts by clueless divers who suggest that "diving alone" is the cause of most diving accidents.

That's simply not the case.

I don't know about most accidents.

But in the first incident mentioned in this thread: something simple went "wrong." It became a paranoia for the solo diver which lead to uneasiness, panic, a rapid ascent and a near death experience in about 40ft of water.

A buddy could have provided a solution or at least a calming level-headed companionship which most likely would have eased the underwater tension before paranoia, panic, rapid ascent, and multiple chamber rides occurred.

Kathy,

I'm curious what you feel you learned from these incidents. I was involved in a rescue at the end of 2008 which I described here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/260067-rescue-diver-theory-vs-practice.html and it really showed me some differences between the theory and the practice of real-world rescues. R..

Good question. Thanks for the link.

I'll need a few days to answer.

At this moment, I can just see how many rescue skill I still lack. You must practice and keep them fresh to respond with confidence and know you have something to offer in that moment... You owe it to your buddy to be able to offer that.

I've never had to be the main rescuer, just played supporting rolls. I admire those who have, and perhaps someday more will be required from me. I hope not, but I do want to be ready just in case.

It is sad that it takes an incident… but I am again motivated to learn more rescue skills in relationship to our local environment & I am very encouraged that I can and will step up to the plate ;-).

The first incident left me quite shaken and could have easily ended my scuba experience, but instead it motivated me to seek out the safest dive training I could find. It also encouraged me to take the risks in scuba more seriously.

I am truly grateful for the recent training and very solid buddies that I've found as a result. Thank to these buddies/training, diving feels and is so much safer.

You all please be careful out there.

(Bump = 13 months & over 200 dives later)

I assisted with another rescue yesterday. A group of divers/people watched and called 911 as the unconscious diver was being towed to the shore.

I had a moment of hesitation flashing back to the first rescue, the seizing body, the trauma of being part of it all. But the victim was close to the shore and somebody needed to step up to the plate.

Myself and another diver ran down to the shore, plunged into the icy water to our knee in street clothes to accept her from the rescuing diver. We carried her up the rocks to a flat place. Then I realized the next step was on us.

There she was, white, her lips were blue, her body lifeless, her mouth was cracked slightly open, her eyes rolled back. It didn’t look promising. I was bit frightened, but knew our response could make the difference. ABC’s. It was automatic, tilt head back, look listen for breathing. I readied for CPR, but after a few seconds there was a faint gurgled breath ;-). Before long a Dr showed up.

Out of a group of divers/bystanders a few of us stepped up to the plate. Turns out the divers who helped had taken rescue class. The other rescuer was a by standing doctor. The in water rescuer was the hero, the rest of us all did our little part.

She was a newbie with a very inexperienced diver. Soon after she entered the water somehow her BC dumped air, her reg wasn’t in, neither knew what to do. She started drowning. He didn’t know how to help her. His calls for help were heard by a nearby rescue diver who jumped in the water, pulled her out just in time and towed her back. Her breath appeared to have stopped - but returned and she was talking by the time the ambulance took her away.

If you're diving, it's really important to have rescue skills! I highly recommend taking the class!

I read accounts from other people who also participated in this rescue. As you have stated, knowledge and some level of proficiency in rescue is critical for a situation like this. What I hate about rescue skills though is that if you have to use them, someone is already having a very bad day.

The ideal case is to get ahead of these issues such that rescue skills aren't even necessary. I know that no matter how diligent we are as divers, there is no way to eliminate all the possible scenarios that would necessitate some form of rescue. However, it's a struggle to find many incidents posted in forums like scubaboard that could not have been avoided by some proactive measures.

In this case, the proactive measures may have been the very basics that we learned in open water class. I know that I myself have been guilty of omitting these basics on numerous occasions. They include:

- proper gear match before entering the water
- have mask on and BC inflated before entering the water
- keeping regulator in the mouth when entering on the water

Apparently, the other critical component here was that there were people keeping their awareness at heightened levels and not being shy to ask if that dive team needed assistance. Thank goodness people noticed and acted quickly.

As you know, I was not there - I am just repeating what others seem to be saying as possible lessons to learn.

Last edited:
Just found this thread, it should be recommended reading for all those "It will never happen to me" types.

Kathy: You never let me know I was diving with a bonafide hero when I was in Cali. I feel shorted :wink: . And while it is rather late in the game, you and your fellow rescuers deserve a round of beers for those scenarios. Kudos to all for keeping their cool.

This is definitely motivating me to take my Rescue class, I met another diver today (DM candidate) and his first question was "Have you taken Rescue yet?" Definitely food for thought on the subject of taking the course.

Peace,
Greg

This is definitely motivating me to take my Rescue class, I met another diver today (DM candidate) and his first question was "Have you taken Rescue yet?" Definitely food for thought on the subject of taking the course.
Peace,
Greg

Hey Greg,

Great to hear!

After these two incidents I can't recommend the class enough :)!!

As a matter of fact, my entire intention with this thread & follow has been to inspire others to gain precious Rescue skills.

You never know when you'll need them!

Kathy... just saw this. "Funny..." just after I completed my rescue cert I was swimming out to the float to grab my gear and saw a diver in distress. I went over, calmed her down, towed her to the float and let her rest, then resumed towing her to the stairs. When I got about 30 ft away a male diver approached and said he'd take over from there. I asked him who the heck he was (after all, I had just rescued a fair damsel in distress). He said "I'm her BF and dive buddy." I replied "Oh, really? And just where were you when she needed help?"

I read accounts from other people who also participated in this rescue. As you have stated, knowledge and some level of proficiency in rescue is critical for a situation like this. What I hate about rescue skills though is that if you have to use them, someone is already having a very bad day.

The ideal case is to get ahead of these issues such that rescue skills aren't even necessary. I know that no matter how diligent we are as divers, there is no way to eliminate all the possible scenarios that would necessitate some form of rescue. However, it's a struggle to find many incidents posted in forums like scubaboard that could not have been avoided by some proactive measures.

In this case, the proactive measures may have been the very basics that we learned in open water class. I know that I myself have been guilty of omitting these basics on numerous occasions. They include:

- proper gear match before entering the water
- have mask on and BC inflated before entering the water
- keeping regulator in the mouth when entering on the water

Apparently, the other critical component here was that there were people keeping their awareness at heightened levels and not being shy to ask if that dive team needed assistance. Thank goodness people noticed and acted quickly.

As you know, I was not there - I am just repeating what others seem to be saying as possible lessons to learn.

Thanks for adding more details & very valuable advice!

Disclaimer: I have simply explained some of my personal experience with the most recent event to restress the importance of rescue training. Names/places were omitted and certainly it was never intended as a comprehensive accident report (but I have edited the post to add a little more detail). The entire picture was much larger, and involved many helpful participants. It was an honor to have enough skill to be a part of such a sucessful team effort.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom