A real rescue course - very close near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is entirely speculation and certainly not confirmed -- but it is quite possible that the same instructors who were training him also sent him off alone to assist with the other OW group.

PADI teaches to always dive with a buddy... DM's or DMC's have nothing in their course materials for "solo diving". However I don't think I know of any DM's that assist with classes Rescue and O/W specifically where they aren't needed to solo dive. I know I have more times than I remember. I don't think its so much of a training issue on solo diving since everyone is taught how to safely ascend. I think in this case the individual has some outside factor that made him uncomfortable and clouded his thinking to the point where there was panic. Being a DM isn't for everyone and not everyone that wants to be a DM is ready at 60 dives either. The instructor has some responsibility in any training dive even to DMC's/DM's to express concerns if there are any.

I read accounts from other people who also participated in this rescue. As you have stated, knowledge and some level of proficiency in rescue is critical for a situation like this. What I hate about rescue skills though is that if you have to use them, someone is already having a very bad day.

The ideal case is to get ahead of these issues such that rescue skills aren't even necessary. I know that no matter how diligent we are as divers, there is no way to eliminate all the possible scenarios that would necessitate some form of rescue. However, it's a struggle to find many incidents posted in forums like scubaboard that could not have been avoided by some proactive measures.

In this case, the proactive measures may have been the very basics that we learned in open water class. I know that I myself have been guilty of omitting these basics on numerous occasions. They include:

- proper gear match before entering the water
- have mask on and BC inflated before entering the water
- keeping regulator in the mouth when entering on the water

Apparently, the other critical component here was that there were people keeping their awareness at heightened levels and not being shy to ask if that dive team needed assistance. Thank goodness people noticed and acted quickly.

As you know, I was not there - I am just repeating what others seem to be saying as possible lessons to learn.

This incident sounds familiar and may be one I know of...

If so I have a little more insight. The BC in question was found later to be functioning fine. From the sounds of things a proper buddy check had not been conducted and had it been this incident could have been avoided. Sadly one thing all us Monterey trained divers take for granted is the reg in the right hand while entering. Especially for people that were trained off a boat and never shore dove before. Its almost having a PADI Shore Diving specialty... I mean there's a boat one why not?

Great job to all who were involved in both rescues! Thank you so much for starting this thread Kathy. It's a good reminder for all of us. I too believe rescue training is the most important training I've done...I just hope I never have to use it.

It seems really odd to me that someone who was taking the DM training would hyperventilate, panic and make a breath-hold ascent from a buddy separation. Am I understanding correctly that this is what happened?

R..

I've been wondering the exact same thing, but it's hard to judge others without having been there yourself.

The first person who noticed the emergency should be commended as well.

Signs of an emergency can be pretty subtle and not the wild splashing and calls for help we use in rescue training. I was on a spearfishing trip a couple months ago, and a few of us were standing on the bow, laughing and joking and not paying close attention as we watched another diver come to the boat. None of us noticed any signs of trouble except one young woman, who also happens to be an instructor. She called out, "Are you OK???" And the diver gave a little gurgled, "Help."

I won't give all the details of the rescue, which would detract from the conversation about the above rescue, but there is no doubt in my mind that this young instructor saved that diver's life. He had come up out of air, and in his panic he did not think to drop his weights or manually inflate his BC. He was bobbing up and down in the water and tiring fast. In a few seconds he would have gone under and sunk like a stone, and nobody would have found him in the low viz conditions we were diving. And this was a highly experienced diver.

The sharp eye of one smart diver who just noticed something didn't seem quite right saved that man's life.

Thank you for sharing this. nuff side.

Wow! Nice work, that's as real as it get's and the OW student is very lucky to be near your class. It's a stressful situation but very valuable experience and a reminder that this is a sport that requires constant training that can saves lives.Bravo to you all!

well done! together you ALL saved somebody's life! just goes to show how further training can help. perhaps PADI could put in a mini rescue diver course in the OW and AOW courses?

Kathy,

You and your class are to be commended. Great job. Don't think what you did was any less important than what anybody else did. Having the oxygen ready when he got to the boat was VERY important.

I am sure others will suggest that you talk to people who can help you with your feelings over this. I was on a boat where a diver had a medical problem and was taken to the chamber but did not survive. It was very hard on the instructors and one of them took 2-3 years before he could teach again.

Again, you did a great job.

Mike

As a Paramedic I agree with this. O2 was critical. Great Job!

In my opinion it is not a matter of how many dives one has had. Panic kills and given the right circumstances, anyone, even instructors can panic. It happened to me once back in the mid 80s and, at that time I had over 600 dives on my belt. I was so embarrassed by what had happened that I and my buddy never told anyone. It wasn't until the early 90's when I owned my own dive shop and was a BSAC Advanced Instructor that I shared the experience with my students as a lesson that controling rising anxiety is of the utmost importance. Like I said, panic will kill and it can happen to anyone.

Congrats on being there for the victim. By having the O2 ready and by taking that loud roll call before you all motored to shore you not only saved this man's life but prevented anyone from being stranded and becoming a new victim. You are as much a hero as any of the others who helped save this man's life.
Steve

I agree. One of the first things I did 20 years ago was get rescue certified. That along with my military first-aid training, I believe makes me a better diver. In any dangerous sport the only way we can possibly mitigate risk is by training and safety.
Solo diving is not wrong but it requires skills and an awareness that is developed over time. Remember, solve your problems on the bottom, not racing to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom