A thief in the night - - - A long tale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we were at the Marazul for a week in May 09 never have any problems, fact his my brother call the resort to let me know that my mom was in hospital. a guy from de Marazul went to OE west to tell me. the girl at the reception let me call home free from the office, we really enjoy our bungalow that week.
so i am sorry to here your story. we might reconsider going to MDR again.
sunshine is very helpful woman.

What a f'n joke. This sh*t doesn't happen in any other place I have ever been to and it's been a few.

I'm not going to flame you or claim things like this aren't disturbing and wrong. But I have to disagree with your comment above.

I suppose you could go to the Bahamas:
Police warn of Cable Beach crime. Caribbean News from Nassau Guardian via Caribdaily.com
(many more reports, too numerous to list)

Or, perhaps the Virgin Islands:
Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info

Belize:
Stabroek News - Belize grappling with huge crime problem – Barrow

Or maybe Turks & Caicos:
Police crime solving statistics shock public. Caribbean News from TCI Net News via Caribdaily.com

The Caymans, perhaps:
Police organize West Bay meeting to thwart crime. Caribbean News from Cayman Net News via Caribdaily.com

How about Trinidad & Tobago?:
No let-up in crime situation. Caribbean News from Trinidad Guardian via Caribdaily.com
Taxi driver tries to rape me in back seat. Caribbean News from Trinidad Guardian via Caribdaily.com

I won't even mention Jamaica.

It isn't just one or two islands:

"Many of the islands face an additional challenge of convincing potential travelers of their safety following several crimes against tourists. Armed robbers in the Bahamas have targeted cruise ship visitors, while travel advisories have been issued for Trinidad and Tobago because of sexual assaults and murders of tourists and foreign residents.

Though local residents are more often targeted than visitors, the region is struggling with high murder rates. Bermuda had six murders in 2009 and one already this year. At least three of the killings were gang-related. Hotelier Michael Winfield, chairman of the Bermuda Alliance for Tourism, said the killings and the resulting international publicity threatened the island's image.

"One of Bermuda's strongest selling points has, traditionally, been its safety and friendliness and for that main plank of our profile to now be threatened is alarming; this at a time when projections are already very poor," Winfield said in Bermuda.

Seeparsadsingh said Tobago had boosted police presence, while the crime detection rate has been increasing. Jamaica, described as one of the most violent countries in the Western Hemisphere, continues to attracts tourists despite its staggering murder rate. The island logged 1,680 murders last year, a record for the nation of 2.7 million people."
Caribbean tourism outlook improves despite tax, crime | Reuters

There is widespread unemployment, poverty, lack of education and other issues in the Caribbean. Youth's risky behaviours a high cost to the region. Caribbean News from Caribbean Net News via Caribdaily.com

I have traveled a lot, too. Any place that draws tourists also draws people who want to make money from tourists, both legally and otherwise. Tourists are viewed by some as walkiing piggy banks, flush with cash, jewelry, electroinics, etc. The rate of crime in the ABCs is actually lower than much of the Caribbean
CBC News - Consumer Life - The world's ultra safe holiday destinations

I have said it before. If someone can point me to a place with shore diving on a par with that available on Bonaire and Curacao, I would love to go there. And, if I can leave stuff in my truck and not lock my rental apartment I would love it. Until then, I will take the bad with the good and go to Bonaire and Curacao, and enjoy it immensely.

we were at the Marazul for a week in May 09 never have any problems,. . . .

During that time there was different management (from what I've been told by one of the owners there). With that manager, everything was very good. Rentals were going good, grounds were well maintained, etc. Now with this current manager, the rentals are waaayy down, grounds are not kept and it appeared to me to be in a general state of disrepair (not to mention the security concerns). I hope that at some point, when management changes, things look better for Marazul because it truly could be a beautiful resort.

I wanted to thank everyone who provided suggestions re. alternative accommodations to Marazul. I think I have found another apartment on Lagun Bay owned by a Dutch woman. The manager at Lagun Blou (Kristie) told me about it, and it looks quite nice. It may be in the same complex as the apartment that diversteve mentioned. Now I can get back to looking forward to going to Curacao!

I want to say how great the ScubaBoard community is. What did we do before the internet?

My LDS owners are doing a private trip to Bonaire with another couple. They don't follow internet news, but threads like this are about the best source for warnings. I tried to explain what I read here and there and suggested they get portable alarms for their doors, etc.

Crime may well be increasing over much of the Caribbean, but glad you don't hear of such on Coz, Cancun, FIBR, and a few others.

I'm not going to flame you or claim things like this aren't disturbing and wrong. But I have to disagree with your comment above.

I suppose you could go to the Bahamas:
Police warn of Cable Beach crime. Caribbean News from Nassau Guardian via Caribdaily.com
(many more reports, too numerous to list)

Or, perhaps the Virgin Islands:
Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info

Belize:
Stabroek News - Belize grappling with huge crime problem – Barrow

Or maybe Turks & Caicos:
Police crime solving statistics shock public. Caribbean News from TCI Net News via Caribdaily.com

The Caymans, perhaps:
Police organize West Bay meeting to thwart crime. Caribbean News from Cayman Net News via Caribdaily.com

How about Trinidad & Tobago?:
No let-up in crime situation. Caribbean News from Trinidad Guardian via Caribdaily.com
Taxi driver tries to rape me in back seat. Caribbean News from Trinidad Guardian via Caribdaily.com

I won't even mention Jamaica.

It isn't just one or two islands:

"Many of the islands face an additional challenge of convincing potential travelers of their safety following several crimes against tourists. Armed robbers in the Bahamas have targeted cruise ship visitors, while travel advisories have been issued for Trinidad and Tobago because of sexual assaults and murders of tourists and foreign residents.

Though local residents are more often targeted than visitors, the region is struggling with high murder rates. Bermuda had six murders in 2009 and one already this year. At least three of the killings were gang-related. Hotelier Michael Winfield, chairman of the Bermuda Alliance for Tourism, said the killings and the resulting international publicity threatened the island's image.

"One of Bermuda's strongest selling points has, traditionally, been its safety and friendliness and for that main plank of our profile to now be threatened is alarming; this at a time when projections are already very poor," Winfield said in Bermuda.

Seeparsadsingh said Tobago had boosted police presence, while the crime detection rate has been increasing. Jamaica, described as one of the most violent countries in the Western Hemisphere, continues to attracts tourists despite its staggering murder rate. The island logged 1,680 murders last year, a record for the nation of 2.7 million people."
Caribbean tourism outlook improves despite tax, crime | Reuters

There is widespread unemployment, poverty, lack of education and other issues in the Caribbean. Youth's risky behaviours a high cost to the region. Caribbean News from Caribbean Net News via Caribdaily.com

I have traveled a lot, too. Any place that draws tourists also draws people who want to make money from tourists, both legally and otherwise. Tourists are viewed by some as walkiing piggy banks, flush with cash, jewelry, electroinics, etc. The rate of crime in the ABCs is actually lower than much of the Caribbean
CBC News - Consumer Life - The world's ultra safe holiday destinations

I have said it before. If someone can point me to a place with shore diving on a par with that available on Bonaire and Curacao, I would love to go there. And, if I can leave stuff in my truck and not lock my rental apartment I would love it. Until then, I will take the bad with the good and go to Bonaire and Curacao, and enjoy it immensely.

What I find absurd is the common prevelance in these threads to :

"shh.... hush... hush... let's not make this more than it is... just the routine... just the norm... nothing to see here... move along... move along..."

It seems with more and more frequency there are reports of more and more brash room intrusions in the ABC islands at night while people are asleep. To me that is extremely brazen, and takes a whole lot of balls or it takes somebody with no fear of consequences if discovered in the process. Big difference from a maid or a bellman involved in an opportunistic poaching of 20 bucks left out while they access your room in broad day light while you are gone for the day. Big, big difference.

It takes some mighty big balls to go into a room with grown man/men sleeping in it. You either are a doped out crack head, where you aren't even conscious of what the results might be if somebody wakes up, which I don't believe is the case, or you are somebody with no fear of dealing with the situation if somebody wakes up and discovers you in their room.

A room invasion like this to me is extremely serious.

Seems to me especially on Bonaire there is some desensitizing going on. The casual attitude of the petty thefts of car break ins while diving is now leading to ... "Oh, somebody invaded your room while you were sleeping... Oh my, how droll dear... just the restless natives.. you'll get used to it. Ha Ha, pass me the crumpets my dear...":shakehead:

We have 2 different camps now, those that are defending it with cut and paste statistics of nothing to worry about, business as usuall and another camp who is now posting home defense measures like door wedges and the like to pack along with your SPF40 as required items for a trip to the ABCs.

It will be interesting where the line of intollerability will actually be raised to where "shhh... " is no longer status quo.

I am one of the people mentioned in th original post. We spent all our winters at Lagun Blou and enjoy it very much.

There is petty theft on the island but the frequency is relatively low and violence against touruists is extremely rare. Certainly not more than in my "safe" home town in Canada. It takes only one active thief in a small village like Westpunt to have a little crime wave. One robbery every two or three weeks may not be much of a statistic but will taint a place pretty fast. For the victim it is a big problem.
The police often knows who did it but needs evidence to arrest. They eventually do. A few years ago one individual was working cars on deserted beaches. He is now in jail for a few years, that wave stopped. When he comes out his movement will probably be monitored with an electronic clamp.

I am aware that the owner association of Marazul is having a serious meeting today. I would expect that there will be rapid improvements in all aspects.

Yikes, I am supposed to stay at this place at the end of February! Not good. I sort of wish I didn't know this, because obviously I will now be paranoid. I did quite a bit of research, and Marazul has received pretty good reviews, generally better than Lagun Blou. It also seems slightly more upscale. I even read some translated Dutch reviews that were positve. At this point, I'm not inclined to change my reservation because everything is set up, but this unfortunate incident does make one think about things. I guess I'll hope that lightening does not strike twice. For peace of mind, I may have to invest in some of the cheap travel safety devices that were mentioned in the other long thread about crime on Bonaire. However, I realize that these probably don't make much difference and are more of psychological rather than practical benefit. Also, I will demand another unit if it turns out mine has one of the "non-functioning" safes.

Just think, in the pre-internet days, we never would have known that these events happened. I may post a link to this post on the Curacao Tripadvisor Forum, which gets a lot of traffic. Perhaps this will unduly scare visitors to Curacao, but anything that would prompt the management of Marazul to increase their secuity or address the problem might be beneficial.
Hi there to renters coming to Marazul, Arthur and I will be here and we will definitely look out for you. Hope by the time of your arrival the current management has "bit the dust". Also, I am receiving a quote for our home owner's on security cameras this week. Many owners have been in their properties, sprucing them up and they are lovely, our pool is gorgeous, and down our stairs into the sea is perfect. Many units have added additional inside security measures. All the reasons we come here are still here. Most owners have withdrawn their units from the current management. Questions: please e-mail me: dorthyo@gmail.com

Its nice to see the problem is being addressed. Perhaps you should post something here when management changes. I am sure it would be received as good news.

Hi there to renters coming to Marazul, Arthur and I will be here and we will definitely look out for you. Hope by the time of your arrival the current management has "bit the dust". Also, I am receiving a quote for our home owner's on security cameras this week. Many owners have been in their properties, sprucing them up and they are lovely, our pool is gorgeous, and down our stairs into the sea is perfect. Many units have added additional inside security measures. All the reasons we come here are still here. Most owners have withdrawn their units from the current management. Questions: please e-mail me: dorthyo@gmail.com

I'm glad to hear that you appear to be doing something about this problem, but the initial bad publicity about Marazul from the original poster has already caused me to switch my reservation (see my previous post above). Also, I posted a link to this post on the Tripadvisor Curacao forum:
Robberies at Marazul in Westpunt - Curacao Forum - TripAdvisor
I am a big believer of posting things on the internet re. travel problems that might prompt corrective action. You may also want to provide your response on Tripadvisor regarding the problems at Marazul. Once you get a bad rap on the net, it can be hard to change it.

Back
Top Bottom