A very bad week in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GDI:
Bruce go and practice.
My offer will still satnd for when you think you are ready. If you feel that you want to attempt full cave then by all means lets see, show me the skills. I understand the cost concern.

Keep this in mind while you practice (I am serious here with nothing against you, these are words I use in my class)

Bad Instruction = Bad Skills

Poorly Trained Skills are just as effective as having no skills

Poorly practiced skills = Poorly trained skills

You practice poor skills, you continue to be poor

Good Luck

Thanks once again for your very kind offer.

I am just about to go to Menorca, Spain with my drysuit, reels etc for at least 12 hours of underwater time practicing skills.

The problem with travelling to Florida for a checkout is that it is 5 hours jetlag both ways, I need to find time out of a busy shedule (we are just moving house, for instance), and the total cost for your free checkout would be not much less than the cost of doing the full course. Also I need to rekindle my enthusiasm for instruction per se. If you are at school and have a bad teacher for a term it can put you off a subject that you previously enjoyed. My instructor not only gave me a bad week, he also posted a (fairly obvious) pack of lies.

A technical instructor who knows my diving has made some intelligent suggestions, which I am mulling over. Whatever, nothing is going to happen soon, it took me nearly two years to find the time, money etc for my last, bad, experience.

Skip Menorca, go to Florida. BTW - 12 hours is nothing. My intro to cave with Rick took more hours of diving (I don't have my logbook here but it was well over 20 hours).

Mania

Bruciebabe:

I am just about to go to Menorca, Spain with my drysuit, reels etc for at least 12 hours of underwater time practicing skills.

The problem with travelling to Florida for a checkout is that it is 5 hours jetlag both ways, I need to find time out of a busy shedule (we are just moving house, for instance), and the total cost for your free checkout would be not much less than the cost of doing the full course. Also I need to rekindle my enthusiasm for instruction per se. If you are at school and have a bad teacher for a term it can put you off a subject that you previously enjoyed. My instructor not only gave me a bad week, he also posted a (fairly obvious) pack of lies.

A technical instructor who knows my diving has made some intelligent suggestions, which I am mulling over. Whatever, nothing is going to happen soon, it took me nearly two years to find the time, money etc for my last, bad, experience.

:pity_part

5 hours of jet lag? Awwwwww muffin. :Kissy: :crying2: Somebody call the whaaaaaambulance. :crying2:

Honestly, with all the diving you claim to do (12 hours of skills time!?), you should be just as physically bagged from the diving...:no

Sorry cupcake, but I don't think anyone is going to buy that excuse.:rofl3:

BTw, there is almost no jetlag on the way from here to Florida (all it takes is couple of strong expressos and staying up till almost morning our time). The real jetlag hits you back home. And then it takes couple of days.

Mania
PS Bruce - get a better excuse.....

JimC:
The funny thing is that the agency you received your training from is completely meaningless in almost every cave on the planet. In fact, the fact that you're cave trained isn't even relevant as far as access goes. All you need is land owner permission, and most of them don't give a rats *** what training you have.
I know I'm coming into this pretty late, I don't often visit here, but I'm CDAA (Cave Divers Association of Australia) trained and I happen to know that unless they take you under their wing (they will, subject to your training) you have absolutely zero chance of legitimately diving an Oz Cave.

But that's Oz for you. :wink:

The landowners still know, and understand, the attrition rate of some 30 odd years ago.

Cheers,

Christian

Bruciebabe:

Don't you have to pay for flight, car hire, etc to complete a full course. Go to N. Florida, take up Rick on his offer. It's one day. Then you can either complete a full course if he takes you into a course or do some practice dives and intro dives. Either way, it's a no lose situation.

And I agree, 12 hours is nothing.

Bruciebabe:

Come off it Bruce, you are flying off overseas to the Far East and Caribbean to go diving every 6 weeks or so; you find both the time (and money) and manage the jetlag to do that don't you?

Poor excuses mate. Boy oh boy, it didn't take em long to see through you on here did it?

Friday: Sympathy

Sat-Sunday: Suspicion

Tues: Derision

You never learn do you?

Bruciebabe:
It isn't. It is 2 transatlantic flights for starters.
But you are not a starter, right? it's not the first time you will be flying that far away, right?

so what's the problem?

And as i wrote - on the way to US jetlag is not a problem.
So you fly in (BA lands in Miami around 5pm if I remember well) - this is one day, next day morning (as I did) drive to Ginnie - second day, do the refresher with GDI - third day. A day to get back to Miami - fourth one (needed to have a 24h break between diving and flying), and then you are ready to fly back on the fifth day. Thanks to time zones you are back home on your fifth day of the trip.

5 days. Less than you plan on Menorca, right?

It even can be 4 days if you land in Jacksonville instead of Miami.

Mania
PS. Bruce - give me any good reason you don't want to take GDI's offer. Reasonable reason.

Bruciebabe:
It isn't. It is 2 transatlantic flights for starters.

Not the trip, the review - one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom