a weekend with MHK or yet another DIR-F report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, well.. I don’t even know where to start. Since there’re about a dozen of other DIR-F reports out there, I won’t go into a complete report what is going on during the class, so I’ll just mention on a few things that touched me.

First of all, I don’t care who you are, or who you think you are, most likely you’re not anywhere ready to continue in your diving career without first re-examining your basic, elementary, fundamentals skills. Take the DIR-F class! Second, what ever you read on these Internet boards is 99% bull****. And also, you are not getting anywhere by “learning” from postage stamp size drill videos out there floating around on the Internet. Take the DIR-F class! Lastly, I don’t care what opinions you have about DIR, what you know or what you may have read/heard/argued – you want to be a better diver? Take the class! I don’t care if you want to adopt the DIR system or not, but no matter what your view on this is, you will get away with a better understanding of “where you are” in regards to you diving level. We had a variety of experience in the class, single tank divers, doubles tank divers, even an Instructor, and we all ate a piece of the humble pie on what level our dive skills currently are. So,.. take the class!

So, without any name bushing for our previous agency certification that we received, it became apparent that we all suck. And to quote MHK – “Hey Chief, the videos don't lie!”

So, the first day was a complete disaster. I thought that had a few of the skills nailed down, I’ve been doing frog kicks forever, right? WRONG. Backwards kick was a disaster as well, I think I was actually moving forwards than backwards, and I looked like humping a dog. After watching the videos, MHK pointed out what we were doing wrong and suggested how to fix it. Second day was better, but the trim was still a little off. Then, anytime you are being just a bit more tasks loaded, everything you’ve learned goes down the toilet.

By the way, everyone in our class had their harnesses too lose… D rings incorrectly placed, etc.. This just goes to show that you really need a GUE instructor to show you and explain “what” and “why” as you can’t learn everything from the Internet. Our dry suits were crap, and he showed us why. As, MHK said – “Nothing is more upsetting when students buy a brand new drysuit right before they take the class”.

Also, forget about “practicing” for DIR-F class and also saying some dumb **** like “oh, I don’t think I am ready for it”. It’s not about pass/fail, and the more your “practice” your incorrect skills and kicks, the harder and longer it will take for you to unlearn them. The class is open for new divers with just 25 dives logged. And I now strongly believe that this class is a MUST before you spend any more of your time and money for other gear and classes that you will then end up regretting. But, hey, eBay will always be there for you…

So, am a DIR diver yet? Not even close. Am I a better diver? Probably not. Of course, there is no magic wand that MHK could waive and turn us into pros over one weekend, but what we have now, is the knowledge and the tools to keep practicing and gradually become better divers.

Remember – practice doesn’t make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect!

Overall, however, the weekend was a lot of fun! And I think it is safe to assume that I will be taking the class again in two weeks with Bob Sherwood. So, I strongly suggest you register for the class, tere are 2 spots left. You may not agree with me now, but learn from other's mistakes and not yours, take the class before you do anything else. You’ll thank me later.
:11ztongue
-VT

P.S.

MHK really knows his stuff. There hasn't been a single time where a question was gone unanswered. But... I am also convinced the guy is not human - he doesn't wear a hood in 41 degree water, and certainly doesn't breathe. my LDS where I rented the doubles for him turned out to be out of hydro (I have to remember to yell at them for that!) and weren't refilled on the second day. If I am not mistaken, he still had about 2000 pounds left after all four dives. :11:

I was impressed with how much the class was skill oriented, and there was nothing in the way of ego or boasting. I have one hell of a different outlook on all the stuff said on the internet about DIR now, and I'd suggest that people take the class before they make their decisions on the merits of the class and system.

Oh yeah, MHK is a killer instructor and seriously patient.

Anyone who can put up with 20 minutes of grilling from me without getting upset is kinda special :wink:

Hey Jon, I was talking to MHK in the car about what you were trying to say in regards to GUE-factor... that makes sense and we agreed that you had a good point on that.

I also figured out that the factor would not change, for 104 tanks at 2600 vs. 104 tanks overfilled to 3400, since it then no longer a 104, but becomes 130.

P.S.
.. just spoke to Ed over the phone, he can't thank you enough for his "out of air" situation...

VTernovski:
P.S.
.. just spoke to Ed over the phone, he can't thank you enough for his "out of air" situation...

Hey man, what are buddies for? We actually drove a few miles to get his tire patched, then he was off on his way. Only put me out an hour or two, I still got home before dark.

It sounds like you guys had a great time. I remember when we were going over the equipment part in our DIR-F my dive buddy said, "it seems like this class is all about buyer's remorse". It's really a bummer to go spend a bunch of cash and find out you should have gotten more educated on your purchases first.

Hi Vadim and John, I had a great time doing the class with you guys and I hope we can do some dives together. :D
After almost 20 years of diving, I just can say thanks to Michael Kane to "Open my Eyes"... :eek:gle:
I am still wondering how I am going to teach my next Open Water Diver course.
Let me know when you guys are going to dive.
By the way I am selling my rebreather, dry suit, computers and all this *%#(!#@+ diving gear.
Thank you again!

Vladi
Miss Bonaire :chillin6:

onfloat:
Can I ask? Why were your dry suits crap? fit? name brand? type?

Tom

Fit, features, buoyancy characteristics. One of the guys had a neoprene drysuit, two had crushed neoprene, four (myself included) had the torso recoil thing (which isn't really all that bad), etc. It wasn't a big issue, except for the guy in the neo suit which posed some real buoyancy issues.

MHK's Diving Concepts suit had some nice features to it and fit him like a glove.

As a whole, the class was very much *not* about gear and brands and features and stuff, it was really about skills. I can't stress that enough. Name brands came up very infrequently, not a word was said about drysuit manufacturers (except DUI's use of the word 'custom'), backplate and wing manufacturers never came up, etc. The major things I took away from the class were the in-water skills, harness fitting, and gas management. What little gear discussion there was was almost tangential and only discussed as it pertained to actually performing in the water.

The whole DIR/non-DIR gear thing you see so much on here is amazing, as it takes up 99% of the DIR discussion.. but in actuality it's only relevant as a means to performing the necessary skills and buoyancy effectively in the water.

Thanks, I was just curious. I realize that DIR has more to do with skills and attitude than the gear itself. Being a new diver and having DIR inclinations (saving funds for the DIR-F class). I heard a lot about everything from fins to BC’s. Never heard anything about types of dry suits though, just that pockets on the legs were good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom