A word of caution about avoiding theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowhands

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Theft is always a problem anywhere in the world, but something happened to a friend of mine that I want to share in hopes that it never happens to you.

My friend was in Cebu City getting a loan. Thieves watch these places because they know people walk out with money. In this case, my friend was wearing a gold necklace and medal worth about P20,000. As he left the lender, he was surrounded by a gang of thieves but he managed to run into a mall. The thieves waited for him, and hours later when he left the mall he was again surrounded and threatened with a knife. Wisdom prevailed and he surrendered the necklace. The thief was seen leaving the area in a jeepney.

For my friend, a retired filipino cop, this was a great loss. P20,000 is a great amount in the Philippines, about US$450. And he was humiliated and endangered. He is now sadder but wiser, and will not be replacing the necklace.

It is never prudent to display items of value, whether jewelry, watches, cellphones, or laptops in the big cities of the world. Nor is is wise to display a large amount of cash. When you walk or take a bus or jeepney, be alert and aware of your surroundings, don't walk at night, and don't wander about drunk. Thieves and pickpockets are around, and they are skillful and ruthless.

When I travel, I make a point of dressing down, of never wearing jewelry or a watch, of seldom using a cell phone on the sidewalk, and I keep a dummy wallet for the pickpockets. Serious money is in a money belt or the bank.

I hope people are not offended by this warning. Most people in the Philippines are honest, decent folks who work hard for their daily rice. But the few thieves in the big cities are professional, brutal, and quick. Don't be an easy victim.

sorry to hear that, but surely if he was a ex Filipino police officer he would know much better than to walk around with expensive jewellery on? its risky to do that in any major city, but to walk into a building where you know there will be people waiting outside to take their chance is just crazy...

Yes that bit did not compute, why wear an expensive item? Also when some malls have really good security guards with guns and checkpoints how does something like that happen? Which mall did this incident take place?

I'm sure the ex-cop could've called some of his former colleagues for some back-up...

I don't. For the simple reason that I see no reason not to. What could possibly be the point of lying?

So the guy was a bit of a dumb-ass. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom