A young mind learning Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9DEA76EF-39BD-48E8-A2A2-F40CEA41C076.jpeg
I call it the “Big Bang” Gane.

Which character in that TV show does she most represent?

Aviator8--
Thanks for sharing. It's very cool that scuba is giving you and your daughter such quality time.

Are you taking Nitrox now because she wants to be "allowed" to dive to depths where Nitrox can provide benefits as soon as she hits her next birthday--sort of like the kids who get their drivers licenses the very first day they're allowed to?

(I'm assuming depth restrictions are comparable between NAUI and PADI, and 12 is when NAUI says kids can go deeper than 12meters/40feet).

Stand by for intense pressure to take her somewhere special for her first 20 meter dive on her birthday.

BTW, you're way ahead of me on proactivity in daughter dive training. I bought dive lessons for my oldest daughter and her husband as a wedding present. My youngest daughter just got certified this fall, taking the course as a PE class at college--and we had our first dive together last weekend when we brought her home for Christmas break. So good job getting her into diving early.

Best wishes,

Preparation for the future and an added safety factor are the main reasons we are doing the nitrox. We don't plan on going deep for awhile. We are doing AOW as well and although I will do a deeper dive for that, I will set her limit to 60 for now. As she gets older and more experienced we can look at extending that where appropriate. I am not all that interested in deep diving, and since she is my buddy and her limits are set by me until she is older 60 is the floor.

I call it the “Big Bang” Gane.

Which character in that TV show does she most represent?
oh wow, I never got int the Big Bang so not sure.

@aviator8 CFI=certified flight instructor

On the turning into a solid. Yes, it will eventually turn into a solid. The pressure does not inherently create heat, only an increase in pressure creates heat. You can have "air" at any pressure and any temperature. The specific phase that it exists in will of course be dependent on which pressure and temperature it exists at. Cool article to show her. What is interesting though is that each of the components of "air" have different temperatures at which point they will turn into a liquid and eventually solid. This is how we create most of the "pure" gases, for is that is mainly O2 and Argon through a distillation process. Get everything SUPER cold, then at certain temperatures, individual gases will start to boil and you capture whatever gas you want. You could do it with pressure as well, however it is much more efficient to do it with temperature. Dry ice is a good example of a molecule that usually exists as a gas around us, but you can see it go through the phase change from solid-liquid-gas as it warms up. There are other ways that you can extract certain components using things called zeolites along with pressure which is how oxygen concentrators are used for emphysema patients and what not, but also for making nitrox in more remote parts of the world​
Triple point - Wikipedia

In terms of whether she'd ask me if I was teaching her, I hope she learns that any true educator gets excited when students ask those kinds of questions. Sometimes it may not be the most appropriate time to ask, but I hope she doesn't feel stifled. May be worth talking to her about this community and how it is a relatively safe space to ask any questions and get them answered by experts in the field. She may find it interesting to ask through your account.

@aviator8 CFI=certified flight instructor

On the turning into a solid. Yes, it will eventually turn into a solid. The pressure does not inherently create heat, only an increase in pressure creates heat. You can have "air" at any pressure and any temperature. The specific phase that it exists in will of course be dependent on which pressure and temperature it exists at. Cool article to show her. What is interesting though is that each of the components of "air" have different temperatures at which point they will turn into a liquid and eventually solid. This is how we create most of the "pure" gases, for is that is mainly O2 and Argon through a distillation process. Get everything SUPER cold, then at certain temperatures, individual gases will start to boil and you capture whatever gas you want. You could do it with pressure as well, however it is much more efficient to do it with temperature. Dry ice is a good example of a molecule that usually exists as a gas around us, but you can see it go through the phase change from solid-liquid-gas as it warms up. There are other ways that you can extract certain components using things called zeolites along with pressure which is how oxygen concentrators are used for emphysema patients and what not, but also for making nitrox in more remote parts of the world​
Triple point - Wikipedia

In terms of whether she'd ask me if I was teaching her, I hope she learns that any true educator gets excited when students ask those kinds of questions. Sometimes it may not be the most appropriate time to ask, but I hope she doesn't feel stifled. May be worth talking to her about this community and how it is a relatively safe space to ask any questions and get them answered by experts in the field. She may find it interesting to ask through your account.

CFI, ah I should have known that, topic switched brain didn't.

Thanks for that explanation. I have had many conversations with her to encourage her to raise her hand and speak up. She does but not nearly as much as she should. I think it is more of a factor of being shy in a larger group, and being comfortable with the group. In a new group of people, or a large class she clams up.

She has asked if she could get an account on SB, maybe I should let her.

@aviator8 may as well, or if you aren't comfortable with it, then let her post under your account and just have her sign it as ms. aviator or something.
in a large class it may not always be the appropriate time though since it can derail "scheduled programming" for the class and be counterproductive. That's where finding the outlets where it is appropriate to ask those types of questions is important. In college it's office hours with the professors, in the "real world" it's finding places like this, but unfortunately before you get to one of those two places it's only your parents and any specific people that you are fortunate enough to know

CFI...certified Flight Instructor

:D:D:p:p
Definitely not kid material. I'm gonna have to make sure she doesn't google that one, though she would likely hear that and turn it off an tell me "that was inappropriate" Funny stuff though.

Yes that's the frustrating part. Its hard to get through the material for all the questions. I love it but some of it is not relevant! More than once I had to say you dont need to know that level of detail to scuba dive. If she was taking the course with you she would likely not ask any of the questions as she is a bit shy and afraid of asking a dumb question. She knows she can ask me anything though and has no problem exercising that option all the time.

CFI?

She got me stumped on a couple things. The fill the tank until it is a solid had me scratching my head. I normally think of matter changing states as temperature dependent and explained it that way, but I had to acquiesce that I was just not sure on her question. I told her probably it would turn to a solid with enough pressure, but since pressurizing a gas creates heat and causes molecules to collide it didn't seem likely because that creates heat which flys in the face of matter cooled goes from gas to liquid to solid. I bailed by saying the tank would explode before you ever got to that point. At the end she smiled and said "was that a good question?"
You can make solid nitrogen by lowering the temperature.
Here's liquid nitrogen turning into solid nitrogen in an extreme vacuum

But that’s not the question, you asked if you can compress air until you get a solid, I found sources saying that you cannot compress nitrogen into a liquid at room temperature: it would enter a ‘supercritical’ state.

If you scroll down to the phase diagram of nitrogen on this page you can see that it does not look like you can compress Nitrogen into a solid at room temperature at realistic pressure although you cannot infer, for sure, that extrapolating the lines is the correct shape

Nitrogen - Thermophysical Properties

I learned that Hydrogen cannot be compressed easily into a solid but some have speculated that there is a state obtainable by gravitational pressure

Metallic hydrogen

However there can be solid hydrogen when cooling it:

Solid hydrogen - Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom