A300 Plane Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Today I decided to dive the A300 plane wreck, I have not dived this site in over a year and it also gave me an opportunity to evaluate Al Boom's takeover of the Atlantis Dive Center.

Well it is not cheap, with full gear and only hiring tanks, we had our own weights, AED300 ($82) each for short dives in poor visibility. On the plus side it was warm, 31C so only wearing skin suits.

The second dive on the Cement Barge reminded of why I don't like diving on this side of UAE, 1M max visibility, we would have been better off staying at the A320.

Would the passenger in seat 3A please fasten their seatbelt

UAE_8915Csig.jpg

There is only one section of fuselage still in one piece, the rest plus the wings are scattered around.

UAE_8917Csig.jpg

The cockpit is located about 30M away from the main wreckage

UAE_8905Csig.jpg

Average depth of this site is around 12M

More info here

The other week, myself and a buddy did Zainab and SMB with them. I had my own doubles and he was on a CCR. Even with only taking a space on the boat (and as one of their independents) we were still charged AED250

Not great value for money Simon for sure, if only Pavilion were able to go out mid week with a couple of divers, I know I did this before many years ago with Carole Harris.

Money is better spent driving over to the east coast, usually only costs me around AED80 for fuel, AED190 for the boat at Scuba2000, and better viz, even at Car Cemetery and more life too.

Never had a decent dive so far at Car Cemetery sadly.

Martini wasn't so great on friday with about 8m viz and Shark Island was about 4m

TBH they could offer free diving and I'd still never dive with Al Boom.

Actually before they sucked Atlantis into their web I used to be able to dive for free off the Palm thanks to Jason's support for the UW photo community.

East coast this weekend to give Inch 10 my first ever try.

Gordon we've been having some interesting Nudis turn up on Inch 2 lately - just a shame the photo club no longer runs so we can share our finds

Well, a couple of comments from my side.............Nice pictures Gordon :) The photo club does exist Stewart - it's just on the east coast :wink:

On a serious note, I must defend Al Boom and the prices. As I pointed out in my apparently controversial feature in the latest EDA magazine, there are big costs associated with running a dive centre: rent, boat maintenance, rental equipment, new engines every 2-3 years, staff, compressors, marina fees, tank and equipment servicing, trade license, sponsor fees, work visa's (that's 12.000 per employee for 2 years over here) etc etc. In addition, the price level has stayed fairly stable while fuel prices have increased significantly. Looking at the numbers, I can assure you that 250 AED for a double-tank dive in Dubai is NOT making Al Boom any profit. Scuba 2000 can do it cheaper because they have much lower costs, but if you want a venue like Atlantis, Meridien (or Miramar for that matter), you cannot compete with such prices without making a loss. There are also people using their private boats to take divers out; no insurance, no trade license, no work visa, no shop rent etc - obviously they can charge even less. Until they get caught of course :wink:

So......as much as I emphasize with divers' wish for low prices, I must also defend the dive business and our right to try to make a living :wink:

---------- Post Merged at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:36 AM ----------

PS: I am trying hard to get a nitrox-diving buddy for your Inch 10 dives Saturday :D

Hi Karin,

Understanding the business is not something that Al Boom seem to comprehend though. When I enquired about diving the A300 I was told two dives on that wreck. Once we were on the boat ready to leave we discovered the second dive was to be the Cement Barge, might be good for training (although nobody was during this trip) but not for a decent dive where visibility is guaranteed to be bad, I felt a bit ripped off to be honest.

Inch 10 is very tempting, but all my Nitrox (apart from the doubles) is in Dubai, plus I have a fair bit of work to do before I go on my trip next weekend.

However please keep me posted on the November Inch 10 trip as long as it is not on the 24/25 because I will be in Sunny Saudi.

---------- Post Merged at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:55 PM ----------

TBH they could offer free diving and I'd still never dive with Al Boom.

Actually before they sucked Atlantis into their web I used to be able to dive for free off the Palm thanks to Jason's support for the UW photo community.

East coast this weekend to give Inch 10 my first ever try.

Gordon we've been having some interesting Nudis turn up on Inch 2 lately - just a shame the photo club no longer runs so we can share our finds

Stewart,

Good to hear from you, how was the Seychelles?

Seychelles was good - although prefer the diving here. Found a good number of Nudis but nothing to compare to Inch II. Will hopefully see you on the next Inch 10 trip

Karin, the 250 I was charged was for a space on the boat, no equipment. As one of the instructors who signed an independent agreement with them, a boat going out with free space on it, I still think was a bit cheeky.

Seychelles was good - although prefer the diving here. Found a good number of Nudis but nothing to compare to Inch II. Will hopefully see you on the next Inch 10 trip

Spoke to "another" Simon on Friday who told me that there are nudis on steroids on Inch 10, next month inshallah, off to Anilao next Friday :D

Back
Top Bottom