A300CS OLED Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug - I asked my local dive shop about purchasing the A300 CS and they said that Aeris is coming out with a fix for the apparent 'difficult to read' screen in 'bright sunlight' in the next month or two and that I should wait to buy it till then. Can you confirm if this is true? Also, I reached out to Service on your web site about whether the A300 CS had a software download for PC running Windows 8 OS, but have not gotten a reply. Can you comment on the difficulty others have mentioned about syncing dive logs onto their PCs? Thank you!

Fysh- We got both of our A300 CS comps replaced by Aeris after the Cozumel debacle. Have a one week livaboard in November in Belize (we both dive with tank gauge and BUD comps) but I find that to be a pain in the ass and spent the cash on a high end comp because i want the features and logging capabilities of the A300. You have any advice on bringing them along for such an expensive trip? Should I also rent some nice comps for the week as backups? We are landlocked in Texas so doing lots of "test diving" on the computers isn't an option.

Slimrn

The computer actually worked great. Gave me all the proper information i.e depth, BT=bottom time, SI=Surface Interval, SS= Safty Stop, TS= Tissue Saturation etc... I was able to compare most of the readings with my 22 year old U.S. Divers Puck, because I was diving AIR with the DSAT profile.

The problem lies, when the data is being transferred into the computer or iOS. However, if the dive data for air and bottom time reading have spikes on the graphic then the software has issues. I just don't know if the firmware (Dive Comp) or Software (MAC/PC) is having issues, and I don't want to be at 100' and find out if the Dive Computer.

My suggestion is to test, but you don't really have that ability until your next trip. Personally, I would make sure I have a reliable back up, when you dive on the aggressor. They will have backups to rent on the ship, but why rely on them. Also, I might just return the A300 CS and go with something you know that works, and works right. That is just my opinion.

Thanks Fysh!

How good is the time keeping on everyone's A300 CS?

Mine is slow by more than 2 minutes over just a 24 hour period,which concerns me a bit if the oscillator that is driving the digital clock is the same one driving the rest of the computer's chipset.

I have started resetting the time every day...it's not reliable at all.

We're looking into this report.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 01:41 PM ----------

Doug - I asked my local dive shop about purchasing the A300 CS and they said that Aeris is coming out with a fix for the apparent 'difficult to read' screen in 'bright sunlight' in the next month or two and that I should wait to buy it till then. Can you confirm if this is true? Also, I reached out to Service on your web site about whether the A300 CS had a software download for PC running Windows 8 OS, but have not gotten a reply. Can you comment on the difficulty others have mentioned about syncing dive logs onto their PCs? Thank you!

There is no "fix" to better read an OLED display in direct sunlight - all of these displays, whether cell phone, dive computer or gps device are going to give you similar results and will need to be shielded to some degree or viewed at an angle in bright sunlight. This may be obvious, but did you make a brightness adjustment? Our default setting on the first production run was 50% - which has led some to believe that it wasn't as bright as it could be.

The PC software is compatible with Windows 8. The difficulty seems to be mostly related to USB driver installation. We've posted a work around for Windows 8 specifically on our web site faqs.

Thanks Doug. I really like the computer and have been impressed with its function otherwise. Have there been reports of problems with the compass? I've had difficulty using mine, but prefer to use a regular compass anyways...I did read about someone else having issues and getting theirs replaced though.

Thanks Doug. I really like the computer and have been impressed with its function otherwise. Have there been reports of problems with the compass? I've had difficulty using mine, but prefer to use a regular compass anyways...I did read about someone else having issues and getting theirs replaced though.

We've made some firmware improvements, mostly to the calibration routine. If you're running Rev D (or just released Rev E... more on that in a separate post) and you're having problems, we'd want to know more and get a chance to take a look at it.

A300 CS OLED FIRMWARE UPDATE REV E
We've released firmware Rev E. It is available through the PC or Mac software. It is recommended that you first check to update to the latest interface software, then check for firmware update.

USER-DEFINED AUTO-DIM SETTING
Units up until now featured full time lighting - with the ability to manually adjust display intensity both above and under water, as well as an auto dim option that sensed ambient light and automatically adjusted intensity up and down over time. We've eliminated that feature, replacing it with a user setting for both intensity and time. As an example: If you begin a dive at 100% intensity - after 20 seconds, the display will dim to 50%. For me, 50% is perfectly readable - but if I want to bring it back up to 100%, I just push a button. 20 seconds later, back down to 50%. We've added a chart to the manual to show a number of setting options and the effect on battery life.

auto_dim_chart.jpg

Additionally, we added a color coded BATT icon that indicates status of the battery while viewing surface and dive Main screens. Green = good, yellow = warning, and red = alarm.

LOSS ON TRANSMISSION ON SURFACE
All of our wireless products operate on the surface to minimize current draw when transmission is unnecessary. After 10 minutes on the surface, if transmission is lost (you walk away from your transmitter), the receiver stops “looking” for a signal. Once back in range, a button push or beginning the dive acquires the signal. Prior to firmware REV E, a button push would not re-acquire contact with the transmitter.

If you experience intermittent transmission loss underwater, it is unrelated to this firmware update - but it is something that we can improve here at the factory. PM or email me for more details.

BLUETOOTH COMPATIBILITY
The A300 CS allows direct transfer of dive profile data and dive computer settings via enclosed USB cable and Bluetooth 4.0 LE (Low Energy), also known as Bluetooth Smart.

Bluetooth Smart is an extremely optimized version of Bluetooth. It enables an entirely new class of product and is thus targeted specifically for small battery-operated devices like the A300 CS.

While the USB cable is best utilized for transfering dive data, uploading dive computer settings and installing firmware updates via PC and/or Mac systems, Bluetooth Smart is ideally suited to interact with the DiverLog for iOS App that makes it even easier to setup your dive computer and lets you do more after the dive than ever before.

Bluetooth Smart and the DiverLog for iOS App is compatible with the iPhone (4S, 5S and 5C) and iPad (3rd Generation, Air and Mini).

For use with most desktop & laptop products, a proprietary Bluetooth Smart dongle is required and may be purchased through our web site (we've built up inventory and are setting this up now).

DiverLog for iOS is available now.
It may be purchased through the App Store. Additional details may be found at Diverlog for Mobile. DiverLog for iOS App makes it even easier to setup your dive computer and lets you do more after the dive than ever before:

screen568x568.jpeg
• Get full remote control of Dive Computer Settings
• View Log and Profile data, add location, notes and other details
• Share your favorites via email, Facebook® and more
• View, edit, and manage favorite dive spots & locations
• View, edit, and manage dive gear
• View, edit, and manage dive buddies and contacts
• Easy Software update on App Store
• Add Photos to dives, and remember those fun times!
• Synchronize with DiveCloud online dive storage system
• Synchronize with DiverLog for Mac OSX

DiverLog for Android is currently scheduled for January, 2015 availability.

Attachments

• dlm-7.png
    dlm-7.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 375
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom