A620 housing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar:
i have an a620 and just got a housing for it (not looking into strobes or lenses in the forseeable future)

still have to get it wet though but i LOVE the camera (great piece it is) and very clear u/w shots of my little girl in the beach last may

Jag

Hi. Just a note on getting your A620 wet the first time. My lesson learned was that even though it takes great pictures with the underwater white balance setting, it takes even better pictures if you use the custom white balance option. I use a standard white plastic slate board used for writing underwater to establish my white balance, and the results are well worth it. You don't need to go overboard adjusting it for every shot, but I readjust it only when conditions significantly change (depth, light intensity, etc), and it's worked well for me.

Best of Luck -- Mach

Does the Ikelite case for the 620 have the same groove for the gasket that the canon housing does?

On my current canon case (for an older camera) its my biggest complaint...

Scott

mach2plus:
Hi. Just a note on getting your A620 wet the first time. My lesson learned was that even though it takes great pictures with the underwater white balance setting, it takes even better pictures if you use the custom white balance option. I use a standard white plastic slate board used for writing underwater to establish my white balance, and the results are well worth it. You don't need to go overboard adjusting it for every shot, but I readjust it only when conditions significantly change (depth, light intensity, etc), and it's worked well for me.

Best of Luck -- Mach

Thanks for the tip, will have to remember to pick up a slate before I leave. Have been playing around with all the settings the past couple of days so I am familiar with what does what. Always was a auto stting type of guy or just use one of the prest scene settings. trying to learn app and Fstop's to add that little extra to the pic. Will prob shoot auto until I am comfortable with the camera though.

Scott, dont really know what the grove for the gasket on the canon housing is like. I know that the o-ring sits on the back part of the case which is flat and the camera mounts to a tray attached to it, when you put the camera in the case there is a bit of a groove on the front of the housing but the case does not close fully, there should be a small gap all around the case and you can see a dark line from the o-ring pressed against the back when closed with the clasps. Will take some pics when I get home in the morning.

ok here are pics of the case with dual handle tray,

sorry if they are not the greatest shots but I just got home from work and am tired and ready for bed.

detail

detail

detail

detail

detail

detail

when the latches are locked you get sealed look throught the back ( might see it better on ikelites page but it looks almost like the oring is wet.
detail

almost forgot the defuser its the one on the left, the one on the right is for triggering the strobe

detail

Thanks for the pictures. Ikelite makes an excellent product...just wish their website was a little better. For instance, after seeing your pictures of the included diffuser and strobe triggering attachments, I went back on their site an noted that they said a diffuser was included, but none was pictured, and nothing was mentioned (as far as I can determine), about the strobe triggering attachment. Was that included with it also? Looks like you purchased the accessory double-handled tray for the Ikelite. Question: While you're holding the right arm, can you press the shutter button lever or do you need to hold the left arm, and kinda squirrel your right hand between the right arm and case to get at the shutter button lever? I was also under the impression that the Ikelite double handled arm/tray combo wasn't specifically made for the Ikelite A620 case, and that the single armed one was. How did you find the fit? Any mod required to put them together? Again, this is why so many people (this thread and others) seem to have so many questions about compatibility.

Again, many thanks for the pictures, and regards to all -- Mach

AIC. I'm wrong and stand corrected about the Ikelite A620 website description. They did mention that a "deflector" is included (didn't Cold War Russians deflect?). Old age and continued use of all the recreational drugs that I can get my trembling hands onto have evidently finally caught up with me... Now what was I saying, oh ya, what other accessories came with the Ikelite?

OK, gotta try and sneak by the security guard and hobble to the doc now to get my Oxycontin prescription dosage increased, followed by a visit to my optometry clinic, and lastly to the liquor store for some grain alcohol to wash the oxy down with...(and bribe the guard).

Regards -- Mach

Mach, its a one piece unit and is made for this case. I have no problem taking pics with my hand on the right handle, its about an inche from the triggering mechanism. There are a bunch of different spacers, washers included for different case setups. It is pretty easy to put on and you can set it how you want, like if you want it closer to one handle or centered.

I wont be home for a couple of days but if I get a chance I will post better pics with a side shot of how far the trigger is from the handle. The strobe triggering mechanism is just a thick piece of white plastic to block the cameras flash and kinda direct it at the manual controller , nothing more. It works though, tried it out in my living room to make sure there were no probs with it. Been working 12hr days everyday for the past 2 1/2 weeks so I haven't had to much time to get to play with it but will post more detailed pics and when I get my DSLR back from my bro I will put the a620 in the case and have pics of that as well.

hope this helps.
AIC007

A question for those who have this camera and housing (Ike or Canon) - can you switch from record mode to play mode while camera is on housing?
Thanks...

divv:
A question for those who have this camera and housing (Ike or Canon) - can you switch from record mode to play mode while camera is on housing?
Thanks...

Yes you can, all functions and modes of the camera are fully accessible in either the Canon or Ikelite housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom