A620 housing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Jamdiver, I was concerned seeing as the record/play switch slides to the side.
Just got the camera last week, now investigating housings....
Have you got the W/A lens for this, and how have the results been?
I read a post elsewhere that it didn't work so well???

None of the third party additional lenses like macro or wide angle work the Canon WP-DC90 housing :( :(, it's due to the weird oval shaped port on it...

Anyway if you want to use those lenses you'll have to get an Ikelite housing :( :(.
If you do a search there have been a lot of topics about this, Canon really dropped the ball in this department.

The housing for the previous model the Canon Powershot A95 had a round port and one could add macro or wide angle lenses to it..

As for the ikelite housing, everything is accessable as well, simple to reach and use. I guess it all depends on what your plans are for underwater photgraphy. I was going to get the WP-DC90 housing but after seeing it, I wasn't crazy about the way it looked built. No offense to anyone with it, but it just didn't look as sturdy as the ikelite.

Pros on the ikelite:
Thick Polycarbonate build
Additional lenses and filters can be attached
200' depth rated (though I doubt I will be doing that anytime in the near future :) )
Metal controls
You can see that the gasket is sealed through back portion of housing

Disadvantages:
$200 more than WP-DC90
alot bigger and heavier than WP-DC90

The canon is great if you don't want to spend the extra money or don't plan on getting different lenses and want something that is easier to travel with without having to go out and get extra cases for protection since it will fit in most camera bags. Both do the job well but the ikelite will give you more options if you plan on taking it the photography a little further by allowing macro and WA lenses.

If they would have put a round port on the WP-DC90 like for the A95 housing I prob would have went with that but I had some extra money burning a hole in my pocket and decided to go with the ikelite so that if I choose to get extra lenses I won't have to get another case, though I may pick up the WP-DC90 for snorkling since the ikelite can be a bit bulky to carry around.

I definitely DO want to be able to add lenses, which is why I am considering the Ikelite, BUT from what I've read so far on this site, the wide angle results aren't good, the edges are blurry...
Has anyone gotten good results from their A620/Ikelite/Inon WA setup?

That I can't help you as I don't have any lenses yet. Try going to a shop and see if they will let you pop a filter on the case and snap some shots in the store. I know the a620 has some mild barrel distortion as it is so maybe the extra that the lens adds causes the distortion.

Sadly, where I live (South Africa) NONE of these items are available in shops - I have to do everything long distance and hold thumbs!!

Back
Top Bottom