A80 - Got My Housing - WA Lens or Strobe Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMo

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, just got my housing (well ordered it, it's on the way). What would give me the biggest benefit as to taking decent pics - a wide angle lens, a strobe, or something else? Right now I am thinking wide angle lens, and using the internal flash to get by on until I pick up a strobe.

If the choice is the WA lens, does anybody have any recommendations?

And this should probably be another thread, but I am gonna sneak it in here: would anyone happen to know the size of the main housing o-ring? I just want to pick up at least one more spare before my trip. Thanks

Canon's website should have the specs for the o-ring - I have simply gotten my backups through them for my housings.

Strobe definitely. WA lens will block part of the internal strobe so you will be limited to natural light.

First and foremost practice with what you have (when you get it!) and then add accessories that suit the way you shoot.

Alcina is Everywhere :D
Anyway, good luck with your A80. Did you get the Canon Housing?? DC-900 or something like that...I didn't know you could get a WA for that one. Anyway, I love mine and they take quite good pictures if you learn how to use it. Check out my gallery for a little example of what they can do. Good luck, and let me know if you run accross and great A80 tips. :wink:

Just remember to keep you wits about you and not destroy the reef for that perfect picture. Theres a whole forum on that right now!

Following on from the above I would suggest 'something else' - photoshop elements or some other software programme.
They make a huge difference in giving you back what you saw and can make reasonable shots out of ambient light stuff. I have all three add ons - strobe, WA and Photshop elements and the one I would most miss is the software!
Alison

alcina:
Canon's website should have the specs for the o-ring - I have simply gotten my backups through them for my housings.

Man, I must be missing something. I've been all over that website and can't find it.

First and foremost practice with what you have (when you get it!) and then add accessories that suit the way you shoot.

Sounds reasonable. FYI, I just got done printing off the Photo Tips For the A80, and have been going over them and making (and saving) my settings. That's a great sheet. Thanks.

Chad_Ordelheide:
Alcina is Everywhere :D
Anyway, good luck with your A80. Did you get the Canon Housing?? DC-900 or something like that...I didn't know you could get a WA for that one. Anyway, I love mine and they take quite good pictures if you learn how to use it. Check out my gallery for a little example of what they can do. Good luck, and let me know if you run accross and great A80 tips. :wink:

Just remember to keep you wits about you and not destroy the reef for that perfect picture. Theres a whole forum on that right now!

Yep, that's the housing. Should be here Wed, which is great since I am leaving, like, on Sat. Nothing like cutting it close! The only tips that I currently know of are the ones I mentioned above from Alcina. I'm assuming you already know about those, but just in case, here is the link:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t83711-getting-started-with-the-canon-a-series.html

Alright! Looks like the WA can wait. Since it's cheaper, I will probably pick up the Photoshop first, and save up for something like the Inon Strobe. Thanks all, it's truly appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom