Abalone opener dive and barbeque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherpa_fab:
questions for the "all-knowing types"...........

looking at maybe trying the ab opener on the 1st........ was thinking of freediving
for abs in the morning, then 2-3 hour break, then maybe 1, possibly 2 tank dives in
later afternoon. here's my DFG-related question: DFG officer stops you while loading SCUBA gear into truck in evening.. notices cooler.... asks: are you ab-hunting-?
answer: yes. while freediving............................... now, does officer have grounds
to yank your equipment (noticing scuba equipment in vehicle while in possesion of
abs-?????????

--Sherpa
No, the DFG does not have authority to confiscate your scuba gear if you also have abs.
You tell them you freedove for the abs according to the law and punched the card as required THEN went scuba diving. They have to catch a person in the act of violating the law before they have grounds to cite you. They can do a lot of posturing and use intimidation tactics but they have to have hard facts as in spy on you with binoculars and see you coming out of the water with illegally taken game.

I've been harrassed before unfairly, not ab related, but on another charge and it resulted in a lot of hot air in which the officer had nothing and he knew it. He was looking for some kind of confession and tried to resort to trickery but I did absolutely nothing wrong and had nothing to hide.

Glad you're going to make it, it's going to be a lot of fun!!!

im gonna go up too. i think i might stay monday as well.

Jorbar1551:
im gonna go up too. i think i might stay monday as well.

You are more than welcome. We'll see you in April.

renpirate:
You are more than welcome. We'll see you in April.
While Eric is correct in it being legal to have Scuba Gear in you car or truck with Ab's, you can't have Scuba gear in a boat on the water while you have Ab's. Remember you must also have your punch card and license in a boat while hunting for Ab's. CA DFG even considers a kayak a boat. I can't wait for Ab's and Lings to open on April 1.

Gary

Are you going to join us in April Gary?

garyh20ski:
While Eric is correct in it being legal to have Scuba Gear in you car or truck with Ab's, you can't have Scuba gear in a boat on the water while you have Ab's. Remember you must also have your punch card and license in a boat while hunting for Ab's. CA DFG even considers a kayak a boat. I can't wait for Ab's and Lings to open on April 1.

Gary

Gary is quite right about kayaks being considered a boat. I hit the beach at Van Damm once with Abs on my kayak and got hasseled by DFG because I hadn't punched my card on the kayak. Huh? How easy is this to do all wet! In my opinion they spend too much time bugging people diving legally.
Back to the thread, if its at all possible, I'll try to make this event. I know it will be fun.

Hey Dale,
If you do make it see if you can spend a few days up here. I may be able to play hookey for Monday and or Tuesday and we could get a boat dive in or at least some shore dives. Maybe a kayak dive. I'm sure we can dig up a kayak for you somewhere.

If I make it, I'll definately stay a couple days longer. I'll probably drive up so I'll bring my kayak. Lets hope for great conditions!

I would be interested as well. I am sure I could rent a Kayak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom