Abalone opener dive and barbeque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyh20ski:
Eric-

It is Gary Johnson
Hi Gary!

Good to see you on scubaboard.
Good to see you've been active in divng too. I can't wait to see what kind of boat you got. What did you get?
Do you have sling straps for it to go out of Pt. Arena? If not that's easily cured with a trip to Sanford & Son.
Give me a call sometime.

Don't forget to check out:
http://www.northcoastdivers.org

Can a chick diver from So Cal join you guys??? :blinking:

We'll be camping at Gerstle cove Friday and Saturday. I'm hoping to commandeer my friends Kayak for the weekend. Eric are you interested in doing any Dawn patrol dives Sat. or Sun? Dara will be asleep which means I can sneak in some Kayak diving.

Jim

JIM SEE:
We'll be camping at Gerstle cove Friday and Saturday. I'm hoping to commandeer my friends Kayak for the weekend. Eric are you interested in doing any Dawn patrol dives Sat. or Sun? Dara will be asleep which means I can sneak in some Kayak diving.

Jim
It's possible, but I'm already going to have lots of stuff to do.
I have to bring the barbecue and all the food, set everything up, try and get a dive or two in, cook the food, clean up, so adding a kayak dive at a different location would mean that I would have to gear up twice, load and unload a kayak, etc. I could see not getting to Fisk Mill 'till 10 or 11. That would blow the day and make a lot of people mad.
So thinking about it, probably not. I'm goiung to stick with plan A.

renpirate:
I read the article and he is talking about bounce diving, not free diving. The major difference is in bounce diving on scuba you are absorbing more nitrogen due to breathing compressed gas at depth. In free diving, you are breathing the same volume of air at depth as at the surface.

Now this is way old, (and off topic) but I can't pass up this common misconception.
There is no practical difference in gas absorption between SCUBA bounce diving and freediving for the same time/depth.
As long as there is still gas in your lungs, it's the pressure (which is ambient whether you are on SCUBA or on a breathhold) that determines how much gas dissolves into blood, not the total amount of gas in your lungs.

That said, I think a bit of 20ft freediving followed by 50ft SCUBA diving is probably fine.

paulwlee:
Now this is way old, (and off topic) but I can't pass up this common misconception.
There is no practical difference in gas absorption between SCUBA bounce diving and freediving for the same time/depth.
As long as there is still gas in your lungs, it's the pressure (which is ambient whether you are on SCUBA or on a breathhold) that determines how much gas dissolves into blood, not the total amount of gas in your lungs.

That said, I think a bit of 20ft freediving followed by 50ft SCUBA diving is probably fine.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for goading me into doing more research on gas absorbtion. Here is a great article for people to look at for more information. http://www.gue.com/Research/Exercise/q3_2m.htm

paulwlee:

I'm not any hyperbaric scientist but bobbing for abalone in 10 to 20 feet of water then 1 to 1 1/2 hours later deciding to throw on a tank and shore dive to 40 or 50 feet with a gradual accent/ return to shore isn't going to make a hill of beans of difference by any practical sense.
If you were doing 150 to 200 foot competition freedives then dicided to go scuba diving right after, yeah, you might have a problem.
But I think it's kind of silly to obsess over this much further because it's really a non issue as far as I'm concerned with the profiles that we mentioned.

Eric

ZKY:
But I think it's kind of silly to obsess over this much further because it's really a non issue as far as I'm concerned with the profiles that we mentioned.

Uhh.. that's what I said, if you actually read my post.
I was just correcting renpirate's comment that freediving and bouncediving are different in terms of gas loading, which they aren't. For the case under discussion, either bounce diving or freediving to 20ft a bunch of times and then going for a shallow SCUBA dive should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom