Abandoned at Sea - Sun June 26, 2005 - The Ibis, Dania Beach, Hollywood Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
Some great points there, and thanks for sharing them.

Jenny, Are you still diving with these people?

Share with us whether or not they are consistantly using roll calls these days. They carry as many as 24 divers you know. Or... are they still half hearthed about safety and place all the risk on the diver?

Don

I'm glad I read this thread. It made me come up with a plan in case I'm not diving on the usual private I normally do. This may even have been suggested in some of the prior 15 pages of replies, but I only read the first 2 pages.
I intend to print up vinly labels on 1-1/2" tall label cartridges, with a labeler machine we have at work. The adjustable font prints several lines of smaller text, or extremely large text, seen 30' away. The cartridges I use to label my dive gear are designated "outdoor vinyl". The large rolls of continuous vinyl label do not tear or leave sticky residue when removed like the paper ones do. It will be printed with something like this:

"DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL! My name is XXX and I AM STILL IN THE WATER."

Just place this label where easily seen by many divers. I guarantee if someone reads this while heading back in, they will speak up. I would hope a DM or captain would not object to this safeguard. Even if they have a role call system, this is offers more protection, as long as no one removes the label but you.

Don Janni:
Jenny, Are you still diving with these people?

Share with us whether or not they are consistantly using roll calls these days. They carry as many as 24 divers you know. Or... are they still half hearthed about safety and place all the risk on the diver?

Don

Don, I have never been on this boat, but have met the Captain and know of an LDS that uses them every weekend with students. They are quite happy with them, and mentioned the boat is almost always full. The Captain has learned his lesson and no longer relies on a head count.

Scuba_Jenny:
Don, I have never been on this boat, but have met the Captain and know of an LDS that uses them every weekend with students. They are quite happy with them, and mentioned the boat is almost always full. The Captain has learned his lesson and no longer relies on a head count.

I'm glad to hear that!

Jersey Jim:
I intend to print up vinly labels on 1-1/2" tall label cartridges, with a labeler machine we have at work. The adjustable font prints several lines of smaller text, or extremely large text, seen 30' away. The cartridges I use to label my dive gear are designated "outdoor vinyl". The large rolls of continuous vinyl label do not tear or leave sticky residue when removed like the paper ones do. It will be printed with something like this:

"DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL! My name is XXX and I AM STILL IN THE WATER."

Just place this label where easily seen by many divers. I guarantee if someone reads this while heading back in, they will speak up.

How can you guarantee this?

Roll call is not enough! I had the opportunity to dive with Sunset Divers in Grand Cayman. They log each diver in and out of the water and it is required by staff to also get depth, time, and returning air pressure. This seems like alot but if an accident occurs you have a record of all diver profiles. This is what I have adopted forr all my students and dives.

I am truly sorry for your experience; I hope that no one ever has to go through that. Personally I read fpsndiver's incident report and that has definitely made me a much more thoughtful diver--especially regarding what to bring in terms of safety equipment.

When NCSU goes down to Key Largo on their bi-annual trips right after certifying new divers they go with Ocean Divers. I have been on this trip twice and can say that they are a professional group.

Whenever we originallly get on board before departing the docks they immediately do a roll call--not buddy team numbers or counting heads, but a roll call. They call out every person on the list and you and instructed to stay quiet until they are finished and to answer for yourself and no one else. They then ask if there is anyone on board who they did NOT call (ie anyone who might be there that shouldn't--just because you're not on the roll call doesn't mean that you can't be left behind!)

We had a dive slate with a sign in/sign out chart on it that you were required to initial upon descending along the anchor line and initial after you ascend. Then after we believe everyone is on board we are told to "count off by buddy team"--you are NOT allowed to shout out your number unless your buddy is NEXT TO you--both divers in the buddy team must shout it out at the same time. I believe that this is specifically requested by our NCSU instructors so it might not be an Ocean Divers thing--but I will say that it is in lieu of an Ocean Divers roll call. Occasionally we will use both the roll call AND the buddy team counting method and I believe this is an attempt by our instructors to keep us on our toes...although we are told which method they will use beforehand.

No matter how many times we've been on the boat they give us the safety briefing every time--location of emergency oxygen (right under the ladder), location of life jackets (up front), the head, etc.

I believe in our particular situation we may have as many as 20 divers on each boat at once. However, these are people who we have been in class with for an entire semester so we know each other by name. If someone isn't on board, everyone knows it. When NCSU goes diving with Ocean Divers no one else is on board the boat except for us so it makes it quite easy to know who is on board and who isn't.

For legalities--please note that this is not an "official NCSU endorsement" but is me saying my own personal experience based on who I was diving with at the time. :)

My last dive I went on, the captain of the boat stood at the side of the boat as we prepped to do our giant stride. Even if he knew our names, he would say, "Okay, tell me your name?" and he would check us off as having gone down on a clipboard. When we were recalling, he would be waiting for us as we climbed back onto the boat, and he'd confirm our names again and check us off.

I though to myself, "What an excellent safety practice."

KansaiKitsune:
My last dive I went on, the captain of the boat stood at the side of the boat as we prepped to do our giant stride. Even if he knew our names, he would say, "Okay, tell me your name?" and he would check us off as having gone down on a clipboard. When we were recalling, he would be waiting for us as we climbed back onto the boat, and he'd confirm our names again and check us off.

I though to myself, "What an excellent safety practice."

I couldn't agree more. Who are they? I would think everyone would like to know. I sure would.

Don Janni:
I couldn't agree more. Who are they? I would think everyone would like to know. I sure would.

This was the dive boat Mr. Tim out of the Panama City Marine Institute, which is a school in the Panama City area. However, my LDS where I got certed recently (Dixie Divers of Panama City) had its OW class taken out on that boat. Magnificent time, and just by observing procedures, I learned a lot about the way things should be done.

I'm not sure if PCMI does charters for individuals but I certainly enjoyed the one I went on.

Back
Top Bottom