About FredT backplates & are they compatible with Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by bengiddins
I've done the razor and aquaseal job - takes a few careful minutes and it's never a problem again. I figured that I'll never sell the wing - I plan on wearing it out! so a litttle nip and tuck wasn't going to bug anyone and it was going to make the STA sit better. Plus it's a few extra pounds of weight, the tank stays rock solid, smiles all round. I was never happy with the integrated STA after the bolt holding the backplate and wing together came out, and the whole thing fell apart underwater and almost drowned me when the weight of the tank on the camstrap pulled it all pearshaped. STA (and some better bolts!) fixed that. Been sweet ever since.

How did the bolts coming out cause the tank to fall off? The bolts holding the wing to the plate are not even required they basicly just hold the wing on and straight while you are putting the tank on and tightening the straps.The tank straps go through the slots in the plate and hold it all together not the bolts.I agree with Uncle Pug ditch the STA, the integrated wing works better the tank is held noticeably closer to you.

My rig (halcyon ss bp, pioneer 27# wing) works just fine with no STA...that tank isn't moving...

I also have the "new" style Halcyon SS cam bands...

Originally posted by Mr Crab
How did the bolts coming out cause the tank to fall off?

First dive with brand new tank straps - even thought I wet them before the dive, they still stretched a little during the dive. After the bolt fell out, the tanked slipped and the whole thing fell apart. Probably some inexperience too with the SS buckles that Halcyon were supplying at the time on the straps - I hear they now have a permanently attached buckle.

So what happens if the tank slips and you're not using the bolts? What keeps the wing attached to your back?

I should clarify that the bolt falling out didn't cause the tank to fall off - they just happened on the same dive.

... you are using one of FredT's two piece STAs and the lower one looses a bolt and a nut...

... or the upper one looses its bolt and nut...

Both permutations are interesting and produce different effects with the wing, the plate and most importantly the regulator in your mouth...

Didn't happen to me but it did to a guest on sequential dives so we got to see the full range of possibilities. :D

BTW... the fault wasn't with FredT's design... you gotta tighten things up folks... and the fault isn't with Halcyon's design... I have never had either the bolts come undone or the tank slip in the bands... ya gotta keep your gear in order and things need to be checked and tightened periodically.

.... the tank straps will still keep the wing close to the diver. If the straps comes undone, you may have problems.

I also vote for losing the STA. I've had no problems with my Pioneer wing without the STA.

Tank slippage should not be an issue during thorough preperation. Multiple checks for proper strap tension can, and should, be performed (at least once) before, while and after donning the rig. In fact a hop on the surface just before entering the water should do the trick (probably not a good check on a boat deck).

Let's be realistic about this particular emergency situation. You'll have fair warning that the tank is going, and should be looking to your partner for support (while grabbing the hose to keep you properly weighted). Share air, call the dive, jettison the tank, deflate the wing and start heading for safety. If your wing does get away (which actually could be a godsend), you should be properly weighted to swim out. Switch to an aluminum BP and ditchable weight, if the SS is too heavy to swim out. No piece of equipment is worth sacrificing your life.

Live, to dive again.

Well we've been using the identical setup to 11B3Y, and up until now I wasn't particularly concerned with the way the internal rods caused the STA's to tilt a bit. We tighten the wingnuts as much as possible by hand, and check them before every dive. So far they have stayed tight. In cold water we need all the weight we can get with 7mm wetsuits. In fact, I'm thinking of putting together a second rig with the heavy plate and single heavy STA for cold water use, which would not only reduce the amount of lead around my waist, but also eliminate the need to adjust the straps between warm and cold water diving (yeah, right, like I'm really going to have much opportunity to go back and forth from cold to warm water!).

I'm not sure I can work up the nerve to slice into my nice new wing to remove the rods; I'll have a closer look to see if there is any structural concern there.

Regards,
Peter

Yeah!!!!

A little "judicious" use of force, and presto chango, the STA is now evenly attached. It did not take all that much effort actually. I just "rocked" the upper STA back and forth, slowly working the internal rods lower to allow clearance and proper tightening of the STA. The lower one never needed any work at all, plenty of room between its edge and the internal rods.

Thanks to all who replied.

Thomas (a very happy diver)

Over and over and over I read about the FredT BP. Can someone point me to his website or a website with information about this?
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom