(About to be) Another new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,
I just signed up to join the PADIwagon, so here I am! I recently moved to southern California, and met a new friend who's a diver and also just moved out here. We both turn 40 the same week in October, so I'm getting certified and we're going to dive Catalina Island to celebrate!

I've pondered diving a few times before - I love being in the water and used to dream about being an underwater environmentalist, or underwater welder. It never seemed realistic when I was living in colder climates and not travelling much, but now both of those things have changed.

Right now I'm shopping for fins (and boots, gloves, etc) - I'm hesitant because I just bought Cressi Palau short fins for snorkeling, and find (for me) I get very little thrust for a large amount of energy (drag). At the same time, I need my gear to be as compact and light as possible, so I found myself looking at the Oceanic/Aeris Accel fins but don't want to be disappointed again.

There's not a classified section here for fins?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/comments!

Welcome to Scubaboard & soon to diving!

You're correct that we don't have a specific classified section for fins though we do have a general forum for Fins, Masks, and Snorkels. Just a heads up, some divers become very excited when they talk about equipment. This is especially true when discussing fins. :)

What works for some divers may not work for others so sometimes just hearing what others prefer isn't always as helpful. I find it best to try out different types of equipment to see what works best for me. My local dive shop is wonderful about letting me try out equipment in their pool. You might want to ask your dive shop if you can try out some different fins. You can try out different rental equipment as well.

Side note: I've found that slower is better when diving since it allows you to see more. If you're fast underwater, you not only miss things, but you end up frightening the marine life.

Happy diving!

Welcome. The California dive scene was interesting the one trip I made it out there; very happy I was blessed to sample diving around the Channel Islands. You should have some good regional diving at hand, plus whatever traveling you choose to do. You're in a position to ask around and get info. 1st hand, but in case it's of any use:

My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/my-notes-for-researching-my-california-dive-trip.532316/
Northern Channel Islands - Spring Break Trip W/Truth Aquatics - http://www.scubaboard.com/community...ds-spring-break-trip-w-truth-aquatics.524761/

Richard.

Thanks! There's a ton of info here. It sounds to me like a shore dive in the park is the right idea, but my friend still seems interested in the boat dives so we'll see what we decide.

I asked about renting fins at the LDS, and the guy looked at me like nobody's ever asked that question before. He didn't really have a solid answer, other than saying 'maybe, for an extra cost'. Interestingly, if you just rent gear from them for the day, it covers mask/snorkel/fins, but if you do the class, they drop that from the package. And most of the other places I've looked at since (Hawaii and Catalina) include the personal gear for OW cert. I got the strong impression that they just wanted to sell me gear, which I think kinda sucks. The cost is non-refundable so I'll probably get certified there and find another LDS afterwards.

The Quattros seem like a decent fin to get started with. If I really love diving I'll probably grab the Quattros and a Scout or Biolite travel BC package (pending feedback on suit thickness and weight).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom