Absolute Musts in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiffany

Reaction score
So my boyfriend and I have decided to spend 17 days traveling from Utila to Cancun, Mexico in August. We'd like to spend at least a week on Utila (since it's become one of our favorite places) and then head on to Belize for at least four days. Is there anywhere we absolutely must visit in that short period of time? We're both newbie, budget-conscious divers and we tend to prefer laid back, less touristy places over the big resort areas.

Thanks!

Your options are pretty limited if you're only planning to spend 4 or 5 days. Is diving your main goal or are you also interested in the ruins, jungle adventures, and other inland activities? Maybe basing on Caye Caulker would be good, with a day trip to the Lamanai ruins (up a jungle river) if you'e interested. With more time you could split your trip between an inland base (like San Ignacio) and some blue water time. Let us know what you're interested in a we could help more. In the meantime, you might want to check out the Belize Forum: www.belizeforum.com . Happy trails!

In Belize?

Make sure you experience Jet at Jet's Bar in the Belize airport transit lounge. I have no doubt that's where the idea for "Tattoo" from Fantasy Island came from.

Skip da' Blue Hole.

How you getting from Utila to Cancun?

Personally, I would not bother with Caye Caulker for diving. The hotels are more backpacker friendly, but the dive boats will go over to Ambergris anyway. Ambergris Caye is where I stay, and have been there 5 or 6 times with two trips of 30 days each. Needless to say, I love the place. My fav dive shop there is Protech Belize. The owner, Peter Jones posts around here frequently.

If you plan to spend time doing land activities, Jaguar Paw is wonderful. We did cave tubing, zip lines, hikes through the jungles, and then went to dinner in their lodge for 5 star food! Not a lot of time to both dive and enjoy the other fun activities, though.

i went to caye caulker about five years ago, so much has probably changed. but back then i loved it - as i do utila!

my girlfriend and I are doing much the same as you in a couple of weeks. we have three weeks in total to get from san pedro sula to belize city. and we also plan on spending a full week on utila. after that we'll spend a bit of time in placencia, whish is supposed to be nice, and then go inland for a bit. finally we'll probably finish off with a fre days out on caye caulker. these plans may change, but that is roughly what i'd do with three weeks.

if you'd like to spend a bit of time inland, after diving a lot in utila, i cannot recommend tikal too much. these ruins are absolutely great, but how much time it requires out of belize, i'm not sure....

but if you "just" want the caribean vacation i'd probably suggest caye caulker - laid back, and from what i gather, the prices are still pretty reasonable.

remember, however, that the divng in belize is more expensive than in utila, so if the budget is real tight, get most of the diving out of the way there.

btw - tulum is pretty nice for a couple of days when you cross into mexico!

not too structured answer, but i hope it helps a bit!

I would recommend either Placencia or Caye Caulker. The diving is further out at Placencia, but there are also other things to see--monkeys, manatees. We really liked the town (we have been to Utilia too and it has a similiar vibe, but not so dive-centric). Another awesome thing to do in belize is explore the cave systems. It is incredible--either through Ian Anderson's place (black hole drop is an amazing experience and the cave tubing is fun) or stay in San Ignacio and do the Cave of the Crystal Maiden (I can't spell the mayan name of it--xunantunich or something like that)--that trip was one of the neatest things I have done in my life. Have fun. It' s a great country. Very easy to get around on the busses.

Man, that Black Hole Drop is amazing, isn't it? Xunantunich is actually a lovely Maya ruin on the Guatemala border west of San Ignacio; I think the cave of which you speak is the ATM (Actun something?).

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! We will certainly keep them in mind as well put this trip together! The cave tubing, monkeys, and a laid back atmosphere all sound very appealing.

I'd endorse Jaguar Paw. Not been there, but I know lots who have and they say it's very good and very good value. For diving I'd check out Tobacco Caye - again I haven't been there. A very small island right on the reef with good access to all three atolls. There are several places to stay there, starting at backpacker level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom