Abysmal tank sale -- Faber HP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Like many others, I've been looking at the Faber HP steels that Abysmal is offering for sale at some great prices.

They provide the following stats:

HP100 buoyancy = -7.5lbs empty / -14.8lbs full
HP120 buoyancy = -7.7 lbs empty / -16.6 full

Do these sound right? A tank with that much negative buoyancy kind of scares me......

I assume these tanks have the same finish as the OMS tank I own produced by Faber.

Thanks.

-LD

Good question! The numbers appear to be essentially correct.

Steel tanks, especially the HP ones, are compact suckers and they may require substantial changes in other gear in order to be able to take advantage of them.

The solidly negative bouyancy these cylinders exhibit, even when empty, is why many people will tell you that you should only dive steel with a drysuit - you need redundant bouyancy. Diving high volume tanks allows you to extend your BT, but bouyancy characteristics become really important.

With an AL80, you need to be carrying several pounds of additional weight in order to offset the positive bouyancy the tank creates at the end of the dive. Switching to steel means you need to carry less weight, overall, which is a good thing. It also allows you to shift weight from your belt to your back, generally making it easier to achieve trim, which is also a good thing.

Ahh, but what happens if you experience a blown bladder in your BC? Oops. Pretty darn hard to swim that brick up from the bottom and ditching your rig while underwater creates its own unique set of problems! Thus the lift capacity of your bladder has to increase significantly in order to offset the negative capacity. You also want the redundant bouyancy that a drysuit can provide for emergencies.

And then there's the DIN valve issue...

Don't get me wrong, I put my order in for a couple of the HP100's.:)

Here's my issue:

Just ordered BP/wings (45 lb Halcyon wing -- flame on!). BP and STA are -11. Faber HP 100 would be about -15 full.

I currently wear about 45 lbs with my LP 98 (about -8 when full). So let's say that's 53 lbs of negative buoyancy. In my current set-up, I have 35 lbs of ditchable weight (combo of BC weight pockets and weight belt).

With a -15lb tank and BP/STA, I'd have 26 lbs non-ditchable weight and would need to wear a ~27lb weight belt......

I am worried about having too much non-ditchable weight in the event of a wing failure. I don't dive dry yet, but may someday......

Any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by large_diver
Any thoughts on this?
Several:

1. Good thing you have a 45# wing.
2. You need to get the weight down.
3. Stick with the LP98 for now.
4. You shoulda bought my lighter weight STA :D
5. Start saving for that drysuit.
6. If you can't swim up after ditching 35# something is seriously wrong.
7. Once you get the bp/wing set up and out to the water with a near empty tank (500psi or less) find the weight you need to be neutral at 10 feet without any air in the wing. Get this as low as possible.

large diver.

If you get in the water with that lp 98 full do you float or sink?

With 35lbs of weights only about 7lbs would be the swing weight for 100cf of air. Approxametly. So it should take you around 28lbs with the tank full if it takes 35lbs with it at 500psi.

So all you would need is approx 7lbs of ditchable weight. Add in the factor of a 7mm neoprene farmer john compressing at depth and you get even greater need for more ditchable weight. I'm not sure what the swing weight is on that. I dive dry now. But I'm pretty sure it isn't 20lbs.

I've used my Faber HP 100 with a stainless BP and a 27lb cell. In shorts and a t shirt. Starting thats 6lbs for the bp, 15lbs for the tank and no ditchable weight. That's 21lbs negative. And I can swim it up. Wouldn't do double's like that but it's fine for me on a single. And it's non-DIR. Now I do use my Al plate. But I love the weight of that tank. I just ordered 4 more and 2 HP 80's.

Oh, I alway's have a reel a spool and a lift bag on me to. Just incase I get into trouble. But if I'm testing something out I alway's tell my buddy to watch me closely and explain why. First time I used my drysuit I was WAAAAYYYY over weighted. I could still get out of it with either my wing or my drysuit inflation but I sunk like a stone when I let the air out of my wing.

Heavy steels are kinda for drysuits though.....
Or dare I say a redundant wing.......

Thanks for all the info.

The prices are pretty darn good -- less than $200 INCLUDING shipping for an HP 100....

But after further thought and reflection (and despite the $$$), I think I will end up buying a PST LP 104...

-LD

Originally posted by martinjc
I have been 'looking' around for a set of LP 104's too. Let me know if you find a good price. Thanks!
They make the things back there near you...
At least on that side of the Rocky Mountains....
Anyway you might want to contact Chris at:
www.covci.com and ask him for a price...

Owner of the LDS chain near here gave me a price of $245 each w/o valves when we bought four recently and they had to be shipped to Seattle so you should be able to get them for the same or less since you are closer to the source.

Get the SeaElite 300 bar manifold from www.divers-supply.com for $170... it is the same as the Halcyon, rubber knobs and all. Are you planning on doubling them up? Highland Millwork bands are the ticket.

No plans to double as of yet.

I did find AquaAire Pressed Steel LP 104s with K valve and boot for $274.95 at Leisure Pro. (My wife's family is from New York City - so we drive out there every couple of months. I could easily stop by their store and pick them up - saving me the shipping costs.) Anyone have any experience with these?

Originally posted by martinjc
No plans to double as of yet.
You should still give Chris a call since COVCI stands for Central Ohio Visual Cylincer Inspection...

He might be closer to you that NYC and....

He might work you a better deal (w/valves) and throw in next years inspection too...

The only connection I have with Chris is a phone conversation or two and the purchase of some dry gloves... but he seemed like a real nice guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom