Accident at Vortex Springs 8-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Jerry (who is much smaller than Ben) finds it difficult to maneuver around, then how did Ben (he's 50 lbs. heavier) supposedly get back there? Is it possible to squeeze in these caves and not be able to get back out?

Thank you Cave Diver and Kevin Carlisle for your answers. The other thread is a nice read as to how people are interested in cave diving. I find it fascinating.

tn:
Thank you for clarifying. I'm sorry to the ones who have friends and family trying to recover Ben. We greatly appreciate all for their bravery and time. My prayers go out to all involved. I know a few have asked the friends and family of Ben to not read any further but most of us can't and won't stop reading until closure is found. This message board is all we have that brings us closer to what has happened. There are hundreds of us back home (Memphis, TN) reading your every post and waiting, just waiting, wanting some closure of this tragic accident.

Ultimately, this thread is about preventing the next person from being injured or killed. To do that, we (the community) will have to put "B's" every action and inaction under a microscope. It's not about putting him down, it's about making sure that his loss serves the greater good of keeping other people alive.

I've browsed the foundation that "B" served on. It's clear that he was a special person. While his organs won't go towards serving "B's" higher purpose, his story will.

tn:
The question most of us are asking is why do some divers think it's ok to dive alone or go into caves that are dangerous like this? What is it that these divers are looking for? Adventure? Danger? Death?

Divers dive for a variety of reasons. I couldn't imagine my life without diving. For me, it is something that is beyond therapy. It is impossible to take life's problems along with you underwater. No cell phones, no bills, no traffic, no family problems. It is a total and complete release from the world above. This is true in a tiny freshwater basin, with little to look at besides mud and gravel. When you add indescribable wonders of geological formations that few humans have ever seen, fossils, from creatures that have been extinct for thousands of years and the deep hulking wrecks in the gulf, or 20ft whale sharks gliding silently below you, or colors bright and vibrant beyond anything terrestrial (in an environment where those lights can't be perceived naturally) then the draw is even greater.

Humans are wired to push harder, explore further. We are also frail, and often, we push beyond our individual limits in our quests. We don't yet know limit caught up to "B". It could be something as simple as a heart attack, or it could be, as most suspect, that he got into trouble because he was diving beyond his training and experience.

For you, his friends, thinking ill of his choices is counterproductive. We only do it for the sake that such accidents won't be repeated.

Great post, Hetland. ^ I love how you described diving. I hope there will be some lesson(s) learned about this tragic accident.

tn - Do you know much about Ben's diving? Are you able, or willing to fill in some of the blanks for us? Frequency, certification levels, etc.?

tn:
...The question most of us are asking is why do some divers think it's ok to dive alone or go into caves that are dangerous like this? What is it that these divers are looking for? Adventure? Danger? Death?

Do any of you get scared underwater in a cave?

Great questions, everyone has their own comfort zone, a set of activities they feel are too dangerous for the benefit received. That is why I don't ride a motorcycle anymore. But with the proper training and equipment cave diving is an enjoyable and reasonably safe sport, by my calculus.

Is it adventure we are looking for? I suppose to some extent it is, but it isn't the adrenaline rush that I am looking for, in fact if I am doing it right and everything goes according to the plan, there won't be a rush. But being able to see some of the fantastic formations, the fossils, the wild life (yes, there are cave dwelling crawfish 2000 or more feet back in some of these caves, Vortex has cheese wizz eating eels as far as 1000 feet back) there is the comradarie of sharing your dives with your buddies, even those who were absent, being able to see something that so few others have ever had the opportunity to see, and like Everest, you dive the cave, because it is there.

Sometimes diving alone is okay, but it can't be done lightly or without proper planning; everything that your buddy would have carried (minus the extra brain, and you had better have the experience and training to make up for that missing piece) you need to carry. And be able to utilize it all in an emergency, without fumbling around to figure out where it is.

This particular cave is not overly dangerous, but it is more dangerous than a lot of people give it credit for. Just because it is located at a major open water dive training location, camp ground and summer swimming hole does not make it an simple cave to dive. I dive this cave frequently because it is convenient to where I live, so I can practice my skills without the extensive drive I have to make for other systems.

I have been scared underwater. The most scared I ever was had to have been several years ago, before I had a clue about cave diving, that an Open Water Scuba Instructor took me into the cave at Vortex, all the way to the gate. Wow, was that stupid! But now, with training and experience the scare is gone, I hope what remains is a healthy respect for the danger.

And finally, I am certainly not looking for death. I have invested a huge amount in terms of both time and money in diving, especially cave diving and it is my clear desire to keep enjoying the sport. If it were death that I was looking for, it would be a lot easier to just drown my self in the bathtub.

To family and friends, I am truly sorry for your loss. To the recovery teams, thank you for your efforts.

Cave Diver made an excellent post in another thread which, as it is my decision not do so, will not me named, but here is my response:

Cave Diver, some may take issue with your post, but I don't.
Many, many years ago in a land far, far away, I saw many young men die for the exact same reasons that we see divers die, over-estimations of their capabilities and/or abilities, poor judgement, especially after proper training and so forth; that is one reason I don't do AOW directly after BOW.

I know what I have stated is a far cry from diving in caves, but the relationship remains the same.

I have lived a long and happy life by acknowledging, knowing, understanding and accepting my capabilities and limitations.

Unfortunately, in any, what some may consider "extreme", hobbies or sports, there are, and always will be, those who think they have some sort of innate, God given ability to abrogate all the laws of logic, training, ability, physis and what have you. . .

Unfortunately, often times DEATH is the only separator between those who can understand limits and abilities and those who don't.

I certainly hope anyone reading this does not misconstrue my observations with a lack of concern and sense of loss, it is certainly not so.

My only addition to this thread is, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE !!! ALWAYS understand your level of ability, capability and understanding and NEVER, NEVER exceed it.

To paraphrase a person who was, evidently, more intelligent and wise than I, "Some times it's better to run away so that you can come back and fight another day."

I have the greatest respect for all of you cave divers, but that is something which I can never do. There are those of you who have graciously offered to introduce me to the discipline, but that is something I can not, and will not do.

Safe dives . . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !!!

The Kraken

tn:
If Jerry (who is much smaller than Ben) finds it difficult to maneuver around, then how did Ben (he's 50 lbs. heavier) supposedly get back there? Is it possible to squeeze in these caves and not be able to get back out?

Thank you Cave Diver and Kevin Carlisle for your answers. The other thread is a nice read as to how people are interested in cave diving. I find it fascinating.

Well this may be hard to take but the difference between Jerry and Ben is big. Ben was on air, at great depth, meaning he was narced and not thinking clear. Jerry and the others were breathing proper gas and they also know the consequences of their actions. You can't make a rescue lor recovery if you become a victim yourself. The place Ben went is the worst possible place he could have.

tn:

Possibly Panic. Yes.

tn - Do you know much about Ben's diving? Are you able, or willing to fill in some of the blanks for us? Frequency, certification levels, etc.?

Sure. Ben was a very experienced diver who would dive any chance he got and had many certificates. Diving was a passion of his especially after his brother's passing. Every picture he has taken in the past year is of his dives. He was also a scuba diver instructor ( he recently was able to teach others in beginning to scuba dive). I do not know in detail about his certification levels as I am not a diver. I hope this helped.

Now cave diving, I do not know if he was certified but I can tell you he was always cave diving any chance he got. His pictures are just fascinating to look at from his dives.

In your line of experience with cave diving what do you think went wrong with this situation?

Ladies and Gentlemen;

In this unfortunate cirumstance, please, let us not generate contorversies that are not necessary.

Please, let us focus on the root cause of such incidences and what we, the living, diving community do to prevent any such future occurrences such as this.

Let us keep our wits about us and not be lost in the chaos.

The Kraken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom