Accident at Vortex Springs 8-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben lost his young brother 2 years ago almost to the day Ben went missing. Ben is 30. Believe me you don't understand this whole story - but absolutely - his parents will be and are tremendously thankful to the dive community for their efforts in such dangerous conditions. We are too and thank you all who are so concerned as to put their own lives in danger. This is my last response. Thanks to All. Gena & Mike

If you venture down this way to Cave Country you will find ,any OW divers in full TEK gear or Sidemount.
You can be pretty sure that someone with split fins, a BC, no reels, and a small hand-held torch isn't a full cave diver. If they were they wouldn't be heading into a cave with that gear.

Hetland and JahJahwarrior - nowhere did I endorse or propose assault or battery. To be sure, dumping someone's batteries would not be step 1 in "get out of here" negotiation, but it might be step 4 or 5... JahJahwarrior, your suggestions were good suggestions in steps 1, 2, and 3 "get out of here" negotiation.

JahJahwarrior, I was not being sarcastic. Nor did I suggest that flooding someone's flashlight was a perfect solution, or even a good solution. It is, however, a possible solution.

Hetland, there is no need for you to assert your manhood by threatening a fight. I am not going to touch you underwater.

If you venture down this way to Cave Country you will find ,any OW divers in full TEK gear or Sidemount.

That is a good point, Kevin Carlisle. However, I suspect that it would be pretty obvious from pre-dive drills, buoyancy control, trim, underwater communication, and line skills whether the divers were cave-certified or faking it.

I am not cave certified, and I live pretty far from Florida. However, it is my understanding that years ago after a rash of cave fatalities the state of Florida was very close to outlawing cave diving. What is a smaller price to pay - requiring cave divers to try to discourage non-cave certified divers from diving in overhead environments, or losing the ability to cave dive legally in Florida?

That is a good point, Kevin Carlisle. However, I suspect that it would be pretty obvious from pre-dive drills, buoyancy control, trim, underwater communication, and line skills whether the divers were cave-certified or faking it.

I am not cave certified, and I live pretty far from Florida. However, it is my understanding that years ago after a rash of cave fatalities the state of Florida was very close to outlawing cave diving. What is a smaller price to pay - requiring cave divers to try to discourage non-cave certified divers from diving in overhead environments, or losing the ability to cave dive legally in Florida?
What rash of cave fatalities?? Been very few over the last few years. Why do you think we should recoginize all that? I see cave divers from out of this area all the time who's skills suck, even though they don't realize it. Not sure where that information about outlawing cave diving comes from, more systems are open now than ever.

What rash of cave fatalities?? Been very few over the last few years. Why do you think we should recoginize all that? I see cave divers from out of this area all the time who's skills suck, even though they don't realize it. Not sure where that information about outlawing cave diving comes from, more systems are open now than ever.

The rash of fatalities and near-outlawing of cave diving were things that I was told of by my instructor - they apparently happened many years ago. Don't pick a fight with me - I am just recalling (to the best of my ability) what I was told. I posted them because I believe the comments to have come from an authoritative source, and I believe that I correctly recall them comment. The incidents were used as an example of why better cave training was necessary back then, and why OW divers should not go into caves. If you'd like PM me and I'll give you the instructor's name and contact info.

I don't know about you, but when I'm prepping to dive, I'm concentrating on my own gear and buddies, not looking at everyone else and writing up dive demerits. I also don't stop motorcyclists and refuse to let them ride unless they are wearing helmets. You can only do so much to keep people from taking risks. Requiring (your word) cavers to enforce some dive code is asking for all kinds of trouble. First off, it's confrontational, second, if cavers are "required" to take actions, what liability attaches to them for failing to do so?

I don't want it to seem as though I'm advocating OW students going into caves, I'm not. I don't have a problem with someone trying to talk a diver out of a dangerous dive, or even using ridicule (via the safety of the internets) to make risk-takers feel stupid or shameful for such attempts. But you can't put your hands on someone or go around sabotaging gear. There is no law that grants divers privilege to dive (thank goodness) and if there was, divers are the wrong people to enforce it.

The most effective methods I have seen to prevent non-cavers from entering caves are (1) gates, and (2) light restrictions.

Vortex has a gate. I've never seen it, so I don't know how it operates, but I would be very, very reluctant to dive that cave (assuming I was certified) for fear of being locked in (purposefully of by accident). While a gate can be a great deterrent to non-cavers, I think the concept is just too dangerous to the guys that want to those types of dives, and are qualified to do so.

Ginnie does not allow non-qualified divers to carry lights in certain areas. When I dove that area, our group had an actual human being watching us like a hawk, to make sure we didn't sneak any lights along. I really liked this method. While I dislike paying more to dive that area (we had to pay the watcher's salary) I feel like this is the most reasonable way to restrict stupid activity without infringing upon my freedom as a diver, or human being. But....... I could have just as easily boated my way to these areas, bypassed the land owner's rules and done whatever the hell I wanted.

As for my manliness, I'm quite comfortable with it (I'm a lover, not a fighter) and no threat was implied in my earlier post. It is simply a fact that I will not allow someone to disable my life support equipment (which imho includes a light) or prevent my free movement underwater. I'd say that nearly everyone I dive with on a regular basis has that same attitude.

And TRAINED cave divers die too!

It's important to discourage people from diving outside their limits, but there are two things that will close a cave: politicians and land-owners.

Both respond positively to monetary stimulation, and cavers spend mountains of money in the form of access fees, sales taxes, lodging, fuel, food, et al. It also helps ENORMOUSLY that the cave community has volunteers willing to risk their lives and personal treasures for rescues and recoveries. It's hard for a Sheriff complain about "wasting" public resources on rescue efforts, when there are non-employees doing the heavy lifting for "free".

Everyone who dives in freshwater in Florida owes these rescue divers a debt of gratitude.

I think another big problem is inadequate open water classes. I am becoming more and more certain that a one weekend class is not enough to make for a safe diver. I think open water books do not cover this nearly well enough.

As an instructor, teaching one weekend classes most of the time, I feel the need to chime in on this. The course is not designed to create a well trained cave diver. It is simply a gateway into the underwater world. Most of the people taking the weekend courses are very capable after the class to go out and dive in an environment similar to that which they were trained in. If standards are followed, this means shallow, no overhead, decent visibility, no strong current, plenty of ambient lighting, with a dive buddy. This should not be an attack on the training that this diver, or other divers receive, but rather this one diver's decision to dive outside the realm of his training.

The rash of fatalities and near-outlawing of cave diving were things that I was told of by my instructor - they apparently happened many years ago. Don't pick a fight with me - I am just recalling (to the best of my ability) what I was told. I posted them because I believe the comments to have come from an authoritative source, and I believe that I correctly recall them comment. The incidents were used as an example of why better cave training was necessary back then, and why OW divers should not go into caves. If you'd like PM me and I'll give you the instructor's name and contact info.

Ahh, you would be correct. Decades ago this was an issue. My apoligies, someholw I missed that part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom