"accidentally" stolen dive gear from airport shuttle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hola divers!

Today my customers bag was stolen out of the airport shuttle. My client was sitting in the front seat and left his drawstring Nike bag at his feet - he realized it was gone after unloading his luggage and the van had left. This is the type of bag that you know if it belongs to you or not.

We have been to the airport and talked to the same shuttle driver. He told us which hotels he went to after dropping off at Casa Mexicana and we have gone personally to check with each hotel to see if it was turned in by a guest. No luck. The shuttle driver also told us that a man staying at scuba club moved to the front seat after my client was dropped off.

If you happen to see any of this gear, know anything about this or if anyone tries to sell you a camouflage mask with polarized lenses, a brand new Mares Nemo wide dive computer (very rare) an iPhone 6 or a mares regulator with a dry suit hose on it - please contact me immediately. The shuttle they were on left people at Scuba Club, Park Royal and Hotel Cozumel after they dropped him off at Casa Mexicana.

Thanks in advance for your help in finding this. Whoever has the bag in their possession at this point knows it does not belong to them - shame on you whoever you are. Oh - "find my iPhone won't work because the phone is in airplane mode"

No questions asked for the safe return of these items. Thank you in advance for being on the lookout.

Last edited:
That's a shame. Hope it gets returned.

Thanks for looking out for your guest. Hope the loss didn't ruin his/her vacation.

Used airport shuttle to get to el CID and driver took my camera case off bus with 2 systems in it and put it in Royal lobby. I caught it before we left that hotel. Very careless or they tried to steal it. Never had that happen on Bonaire :)

We had gear sitting in the lobby of a place in Roatan and the shuttle driver grabbed it and put it on with a group leaving earlier for the airport. (We were just transferring to a liveaboard so it was in mesh bags and possibly still damp.) Pretty sure there was no ill intent, and I caught it, but I try never to let my eyes off our bags when they're in any kind of public situation like that.

Last edited:
Nope, me either, anywhere. I watch them get loaded and I watch what gets unloaded. Here in COzumel, we are usually the first stop by the shuttle bus so our stuff goes on last and comes off first, making that task somewhat easier. But we were just touring in Italy with lots of luggage loading and unloading and in the rush to get underway, people make mistakes.

Pretty sure there was no ill intent, and I caught it, but I try never to let my eyes of our bags when they're in any kind of public situation like that.

Once my wife and I took the airport shuttle and got off at our downtown hotel with another couple. The driver unloaded the bags and left. We all got our bags and started on our respective ways when I noticed one unattended bag still on the sidewalk. I called to the other couple but it was not theirs. I was able to get the bag to the owner but have been extra quick to check my bags whereabouts since then.

I do what MMM does. We are the first stop most times, Casa Mexicana. I get out and watch to make sure our bags don't go elsewhere.
One time our bags never showed up, airlines sent them elsewhere. Next day they arrived, but went to a different hotel. One of the people staying there actually brought the to our hotel.

Yes - a very expensive lesson for him if his things are not returned.

Sadly, I suspect the shuttle driver - otherwise we have an island visitor with some new stuff that he/she knows does not belong to him/her. We were hoping that by now if it ended up left at the wrong hotel with a guest, they would have turned it in by now. I have checked with the respective hotels again this morning and nothing.

Driftwood - he is a very calm man with a lot of integrity - he is not letting it ruin his vacation. I set him up with some of our brand new rental gear and a computer - so his dives are not lost :)

Thanks again everyone for being on the lookout!

We were hoping that by now if it ended up left at the wrong hotel with a guest, they would have turned it in by now. I have checked with the respective hotels again this morning and nothing.

did the driver make another airport trip after the one your customer was on? If so, maybe there are more hotels to check.

Back
Top Bottom