Accomodations near Fonatur?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at an Airbnb near Chedraui in April for a week, dove with Dive with Martin every day. We met a taxi driver outside the airport (across the street) when we first arrived, told him our plan for the week. He gave me his card and his WhatsApp number. He picked us up each morning for the quick drive to Fonatur... like clockwork (we used WhatsApp to confirm with him each evening for the next morning.) And he took us back to the airport at the end of our trip.
For all the bad press the taxi drivers get, most of our experiences with them have been like this one.

For all the bad press the taxi drivers get, most of our experiences with them have been like this one.

Mine too. Really nice guy with a small family... working to pay his bills. We were able to spend 15 minutes with him every morning, added up to a couple hours over the week. Got to know him a bit, just through the usual chat. And his number is saved in WhatsApp in my phone for the next time we're there.

Mine too. Really nice guy with a small family... working to pay his bills. We were able to spend 15 minutes with him every morning, added up to a couple hours over the week. Got to know him a bit, just through the usual chat. And his number is saved in WhatsApp in my phone for the next time we're there.
Likewise. We've been using the services of the same guy for the past three or four years. Same story - family man, all around good guy, takes us to dinner and picks us up, takes us around the island, takes us to the airport when we leave, hugs and handshakes all around, see you next time. I don't normally tip Cozumel cab drivers but he is the exception.

Planning to dive with Martin. They are leaving out of Fonatur now (due to COVID). Was looking at staying in town for proximity to restaurants (and was an easy bike ride to Martin's regular shop), but that's likely out unless I want to rent a car or take a cab back and forth each day. I prefer to book Airbnb/VRBO as opposed to hotels. Anything near Fonatur that can be recommended? Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and plant to stay in Central and rent a car? Or perhaps book with a dive Op that is closer to town.

This isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

We have an oceanfront house in Costa del Sol. Any operator will pick you up on our pier. Feel free to reach out if you (or anyone else) are interested in negotiating a stay.

casabonitacozumel@yahoo.com

Thanks, Mike

I think I may purchase the add'l insurance for $13/day. However it's just collision so only protects the rental. Doesn't help me if I hit someone else and it's my fault. Although I do see that they charge you for SOME mandatory liability insurance that's baked into the rate/taxes. My CC provides me collision but that doesn't really help me if I damage/lose the car and I'm trying to pay so I can get back home!
O BOY ARE YOU IN FOR A SURPISE!!! Better read the fine print on your car rental. If it does not say $250,000 liability included your screwed. Mexico requires $250,000 peso liability coverage on care rentals. As you said $13 a day is collision but the mandatory Liability charge is usually $40 to 75 a day. Many contracts bought through the online booking sites say liability included buy don't say how much or say $100,000. Makes you think you got it all worked out. But they mean $100,000 peso. So your short. Then they say other charges may incur at the local rental location. That's the kicker that the local place hits you with the Mandatory liability.

Find the rental terms and read fine print. Some times there are 2 different liability choices and most times the lessor one is the included one

Also if you used to ride to DM shop from town it is only an additional 5 min bike ride to Fontana.
Bike or taxi is better (NO SCOOTER PLEAAAAASE}

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom