accumulators & pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepB

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

i am working on some homebuilt projects, and i stumbled upon a question:
which accumulators have problems with preassure?
can i put them under preassure up to 11bar?

regards
DeepB

Normaly are accumulators placed in some tanks, enclosures which give them constant pressure on any depth (if of course , enclosure is proper constructed ) which it is the same as on the surface +1,01bar.

11 bar ? Hmm , accus direct sorrounding with water ?...could be but power cells can't contain :
- gases , air and enclosure must be very solid build!

Problem it is that if you can imagine power cell is basicly made from two or more electrodes ,as sandwich , with electrolyte between them.
Between cell's is constant distance which define all sort of things and specially voltage.
If pressure compress these cells together too much , they go to short circuit , might wit explosion!

I try to explain simply :)

Hi,

thanks for the response, and i know the basics about accumulators.
i was thinking of a lead acid battery, because it is the simpliest.
i am not quite shure if some of them only consist of one cell.

in the beginning 11bar surrounded by air, only in later stages of my project maybe surrounded by water.

regards
DeepB

DeepB,
you can use 10-20$ seald acid or gel 6V/12V batteries for motocycles/alarm systems or UPS, islolate the posts with Liquid Electrical Tape or silicone and your portable batteries are done. As they are filled with acid/gel they will resist the pressure. Get a old one in the local scooter/motocycle shop, isoltate both post's and have a dive with them to verify that.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom