aced my dm exams today... yay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Took my DM exams today and aced them. Yay. Surprised myself on part 2, figuring I must have gotten at least one wrong since there were a few questions that were either out in left field or I had to wonder about the wording. I know that had a I done the old version of the course, a perfect score on the exams would have been a bit more to be proud of, but still...
Just had to share. Telling my fellow DMTs at the shop would have felt more like gloating than anything else...

That's a big hurdle. How long did you study for it?

What's left is a whole bunch of practical stuff, though stamina stuff is out of the way, thank God. The list of things I still have to do is probably longer than what I've finished, but i'm not in a rush. I'm having fun with it, which is the point, right? My next dive is on Tuesday helping with a Wreck specialty so I'll be celebrating then, since I'm a wreck fan too.

TMHeimer, you're a fairly new DM, I think, but did you do it with the old program or the new program? I've read old threads about people studying like crazy when there were 8 exams instead of 2. My studying basically consisted of reading the DM manual and doing the knowledge reviews. Went over the KRs this morning with the course director (academics and skills circuit are his responsibilities at our shop), then he asked if we wanted to do the exams right away. Am I bothered by the fact that I really didn't have to study for the exams? yeah, I kinda am. The book goes on about DMs having "professional level knowledge" and being "experts" and so on, but I'm beginning to think that if I want to actually have that level of knowledge, I'm going to have to soak it up from the instructors I'm working with and the course director who's throwing in extra info to prepare anybody thinking about doing the IDC afterwards and I suppose for our general benefit.

Congratulations! I have never aced a PADI exam, because there is always at least one question I want to argue about :)

Yeah, I just got in with the old course before they changed it. Got 150 out of 160 right on those 8 tests. I studied for 7 months (retired-nothing much else to do). The physics was particularly rough, though I only missed one question there. IMO, there was a lot of stuff that was interesting, but questionable that it would really be needed to DM. I am not too familiar with the new course, but know that there is more emphasis on the practical, which I think is a good idea. If you wanted to fill in whatever was dropped from the academics, you could probably just pick up the old materials (ei. Diving Knowledge Workbook) and study the physics section of the Encyclopedia. It's nice to know that stuff--you can pretty much answer students' questions in detail, for what it's worth.

Lynne, there was a question that I looked at and decided that two answers were technically correct, but one answer was more obviously correct than the other, which was apparently the "right" answer. It was also one of the questions that came out of left field.

TMH, I think I'm going to have to peruse the Encyclopedia a bit, as dry as it is, since now that I'm more or less done with the manual, if I'm not on the boat or helping with a class, I'm not going to have much else to do. There used to be a small library of left-behind manuals here at the DM house, including a Diving Knowledge Workbook, i think, and a Guide to Teaching, but it all mysteriously disappeared in the last couple of days. I know who took it so I'll have to see if I can get some of that back, should round things out a bit.

Congrats!!!! The "Diving Knowledge Workbook" that comes with the crewpack for the next step is a great study resource and has lots more info than is covered in the new DM exams.

CONGRATS...... I'm just starting Dive Con and doing the three step way. That is doing the SSI Dive Guide then DM and on to the Dive Con certification all in one swoop. :shocked2: Yikes....... I'd better get off SB and get to studying

Congrats on the exam! The Encyclopedia is great -- it's not a dry a read as it might seem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom