Active diver re-certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replying to my own post...

I don't know if an annual rescue refresher would be practical as a requirement for club membership, but I would definitely participate if it were offered. It would be a benefit both for the person doing the refresher, and for other members of the club.

I think that rescue refresher would be more worthwhile than basic re-cert for most active divers, because BOW skills are...well...basic. Rescue skills are more high level and so need more maintenance.

I'm with you when you do a cpr refresher I would also do a rescue refresher.

A few more details, we're semi land locked in Ga the closest place to get in the water is 3 hrs away, and then that's seasonal. This club also wants you to go on 3 dive trips a year with them. I myself do an equipment/buoyancy/skills poll session before every dive trip. My feelings are if you are an active diver with verifiable log book or computer. doing OW pool every year is a little unnecessary. This includes the swim float portion also. I was just wondering if I was over thinking the situation.

TS&M the pool session would only cost $10

it wouldn't necessarily work either -- i know at least a few of the charters down here will make you either take a refresher or hire a guide if you've been out of the water for a certain period of time. for some of the sites I can see their point such as the Spiegel.

but required trips - like out of state? i see 2 issues right off the bat -- money & if you work - vacation time off.

I hope I don't get flamed ofr only readng the first and last page of this thread but it is good timing as to the subject as I just signed up for a refresher pool dive since I have not been wet for 4 years. While in my head I still remember everything I wanted to take this opportunity to get familiar with things again.

As far as the original poster question, no, I do not think I would join a group that required me to do a refresher course yearly. Suggested maybe but not required.

Jeff

I am not able to dive much in the winter and enjoy pool dives. I also like to practice some skills on occasion both in the pool or lake but being graded every year on mask clearing and snorkel skills...not unless the trips are 1/2 price.

The trips are mandatory? What are they going to do, drug you and kidnap you? Or just charge you full price.

Either way the pool session is strike one and "mandatory" trips are strike 2 and 3.

As an active diver (25 dives a year) would you join a club that wants you to do an OW pool certification every year?

No. I wouldn't join a club that expected any more out of me than dues and diving.

As an active diver (25 dives a year) would you join a club that wants you to do an OW pool certification every year?

I'm going to give this a BIG HELL NO! And are you taking part in such a club, and if so why?

If I lived somewhere where the nearest open water was three hours away, I think I'd consider $10 to get in a pool and blow some bubbles would be a bargain. Our local pools charge $25 an hour for a LANE. And getting to refresh your emergency procedures would be a bonus.

The group expects you to do three trips a year with them -- trips where? Is the group making money from these trips? Are they trips to places you want to go? I can see the benefit of having known people (who have had to keep their skills sharp :) ) to travel with, if you are going to do the types of trips that are involved anyway. It sounds as though you have to travel to ocean dive at all, so if these trips are ones you would do anyway, why not?

On the other hand, if somebody profits from them and you are required to do them, what's the benefit to you of belonging to the group at all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom