Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddies this week who have not posted here, one is 61, the other 70. Our dives have been approx. 2 hrs each. They are using Steel 100s on beach dives..

64, certified in 1981, 800+ dives.Bass Strait, MtGambier sink holes in my youth. Since the travel bug bit, , I have been to New Guinea, New Zealand , Niue, Phillipines, Chuuk, Sunda Straits, Krakatoa, Brunei, Bali, Palau. We (I am a toy boy btw)have dived Bali, Chuuk, Niue, Great Barrier Reef, Coral Sea, Bass Strait, NSW coast together. Since we have been an item she has also been to Raj Ampat and Komodo, and before that Mozambique and the wild coast. We are leaving tomorrow for a live aboard in the Maldives.

It is better to wear out than rust out
Good on you. Thats how to do it! Enjoy your dives all over.

51, been diving for 20+ years. Don't dive enough but frequent NorCal - Monterey/Carmel. Now diving with whole family (in warm water for them and my teenager is dabbling with the cold water).

I feel the weight of gear on beach entries and exits more with age. Flexibility is reduced and I know I should do more yoga and stretching - regardless of diving.

As my older active neighbor says - just keep moving.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
I'm 64 and a late bloomer. I got my OW four years ago and my AOW two years ago. The pandemic put the kibosh on my dive log. I do most of my diving at Lake Phoenix Scuba Park in Rawlings, Virginia during the summer. I've also done some diving in Hawaii, Florida, and Dominica.

73 years old, diving since 1967 (First Certified - YMCA), Diving 3-4 days a week, 2-3 dives a day over 9K dives. I work as Photo Pro and Dive Manager at Turquoise Divers (Subway Watersports) at Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort on Roatan Island, Honduras. I love my job!

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
71 now, been diving for 40 years. Giving it up soon due to arrhythmia issues. Will miss it for sure.

I'm 62. Got cert in 1998. Hard to dive much from Colorado. Even harder when you married with children and working 2 jobs. Now that I'm retired from one job I'm trying to dive more :)

71 now, been diving for 40 years. Giving it up soon due to arrhythmia issues. Will miss it for sure.
Pleasant memories, I am sure. I have the Afib and still dive, however I have self imposed limitations on my dives. Yes, I enjoy making bubbles anywhere the mood strikes me, however I am making the call on this one. I can still enjoy mentoring other divers with the desire to dive. I can’t give up the ‘activity‘ of diving. All of my regards to you my friend.
giantfroginthepool

Back
Top Bottom