Adaptive techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakerPride

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for some ideas on how to adapt my procedures. I am a Marine Corps Vet and had serious back injuries which I have for the most part recovered from. But several times now since returning to diving I have aggravated my lower back while suiting up. I use a Halcyon Pinnacle 30, the plate is 12 pounds, then I have another 12 pounds ditchable. Combined with a single AL80, argon bottle for my suit, regs, canister light, and several other small accessories, it is getting to the point where I am barely able to suit up by myself, not to mention if I am diving doubles. I also use a DUI TLS350 suit. So between the bulk of my gear and the reduced mobility on land of my suit, I keep straining my back getting suited up. It has ruined 2 dive weekends now. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I dive the Lake Superior wrecks and cannot imagine how hard this is going to be as I get older.

I can't begin to offer medical advice on strengthening your back but I hope you are being provided for in that regard.

On the practical side a few things come to mind.

1) Diving with less ambitious gear for instance. Argon, can light and doubles may be making the difference between having a nice dive and a painful weekend. An additional step back may be going wet when and where that's comfortable or making sure your garment and accompanying weight are at the minimum for the conditions.

2) Getting help as you gear up and get in and out of the water.

3) These exercises can be helpful with over all mobility and may let you get places with your arms that you are forcing your back for now. I can now swat a fly anywhere on my back.

Diving as a whole is an adaptive endeavor so just extend that to your challenges.

Thank you for your service.

Pete

I have not checked out side mount yet, that may be an option. I have also considered a rebreather, although I have never hefted one so I haven't a clue what the weight comparison would be.

Pete, I actually have that book, and do those stretches daily! I have a lot of scar tissue covering my back so those stretches keep me limber enough to reach my iso on doubles. As far as less ambitious gear, I don't know. I need my light in lake Superior, I could go to a 7mm wetsuit but temps at most the wreck depths are only 45-50 degrees so that would really limit my depth and time. I appreciate the Thanks too.

Justin

I have some serious back issues, and I dive doubles with a dry suit and can light and sometimes deco bottle and scooter, too. I NEVER try to manage everything at once. I've very careful with the doubles, and try never to let them get below hip height if I can manage it -- and if they get there, I get help to lift them to where they need to be.

Once I have everything put together and put it on, I stand carefully, avoiding hyperextension of the low back, and I walk carefully. I have stashed the rest of the heavy equipment at (or preferably IN) the water, and I take on the extra weight as late as I possibly can.

In your case with Great Lakes diving, can you stage anything in the water? You might even be able to put on the doubles there, if the surface isn't rough and there isn't too much current.

Back
Top Bottom