Ads bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ads inconvenient

Ads annoying

Ads pestilence

But not, ads bad.

1658237868256.png

Short answer is that Apple won't let any non-webkit browser on their phones, so standard plugins don't really work on them. Any browsers on iphone are just branded skins over webkit, without support for most browser plugins.
For anyone on a more open ecosystem, I strongly suggest that you use ublock origin, the non-sold-out free and open source adblocker.

Actually..... the cost of running an internet forum is not epic. Based on the amount of ads that I see on SB, I'd say that this forum probably makes more money than they spend.. The moderators, like divemasters, are basically free labor on most forums. Plus, the owners and mods probably travel and dive for free on scourges and invasions. But that's all totally cool with me because I like the site and all that it has to offer.... :)
I mean, wouldn't surprise me if the owner made money.. it is Scubaboard Inc, not Scubaboard non-profit 501c3. Which is perfectly fair. You take a risk, spend money and time on maintenance and modding and other crazy stuff, you should get compensated. My only fear/problem is that almost inevitably the ownership of these kinds of things sells out and/or changes, and all that previously public info that we're all providing goes dark, or requires a subscription, or whatever.
For example, take Trailforks, a mountain biking app where people could access and map out all sorts of trails. After many years of committed contributors giving trail reports, sending GPS logs, commenting, etc... They locked it behind a paywall. Technically all that IP belongs to Trailforks! Point is, lots of relationships solely rely on pinky promises. Which is ok.. But guarantees are even better. I'm rambling, but I guess the point is that people often give free labor (moderating, populating forums semi-needlessly, etc.) because there is an assumption that it won't ever get locked away and sold (or lost/ransomed/etc accidentally!).

I'll make some time this weekend to catch up on the supporter issues, although I'm drowning in work....

To all those who are annoyed:
Some of the people who have spent loads of time on making SB possible, are now dealing with family issues. And family issues are way more important than the annoyance of a couple of ads, that pay the SB bills. And I'm not talking about one single person, but several. Remember that all those moderators are also human beings, dealing with issues they never asked for. Just be a bit considerate.......

Back
Top Bottom