• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Advanced Maritime EMS?

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba Discussions' started by George Price, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Bubblesong

Bubblesong Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I think we lost George Price, the original poster!
    I intend to keep taking available local land courses as well, but from what I have seen so far, in my area, there is a skewed focus on Narcan and how to save OD victims. Sigh.

2. Kevrumbo

Kevrumbo Banned

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You're welcome Francesea!

I think the Volunteer Chamber Crew Program along with the optional Emergency Response Diver and Emergency Dive Accident Management continuing education courses are great ways to sample & explore the experience of the entire organizational chain of emergency rescue and care for a diving accident, without necessarily committing as yet to any full time professional or vocational training & certification regimen (i.g. Divemaster; Hyperbaric Chamber/Dive Medic Technician; LA County Baywatch Lifeguard/Paramedic; US Coast Guard Flight Medic; Emergency/Hyperbaric Medicine Nurse, Physician's Assistant, or Physician MD-Ph.D).

Use and apply the basic life saving skills you have learned in a real world and active clinical setting, and you'll be ready knowing what to do and what to expect as a recreational diver First Responder managing a frontline dive accident scene.

(You'll definitely won't be as complacent, uninspiring and cynical as DaleC above)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. Kevrumbo

Kevrumbo Banned

Btw, some of our Chamber Crew teammates were trained in Wilderness First Aid as well and recommended this organization for courses:

NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute

4. DaleC

DaleC Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    "Use and apply the basic life saving skills you have learned in a real world and active clinical setting, and you'll be ready knowing what to do and what to expect as a recreational diver First Responder managing a frontline dive accident scene."

So, you are basically saying what I've said all along though I tend to suggest following a linearly progressive track instead of jumping from EFR to full fledged chamber course with nothing in between. Curious where you think people pick up those basic life saving skills? Did your buddies take the Wilderness F/A course before or after the chamber course? humm...

Thanks Kev, coming from you in comparison I'll take that as a great compliment :thumb:

5. Kevrumbo

Kevrumbo Banned

Many of our SoCal Chamber Volunteers are active divers and boaters as well as Sierra backcountry trekkers, hikers, climbers & telemark XC skiers -so makes sense that they're just as prepared in Wilderness First Aid for that environment as well. And so they come for the only volunteer program of its kind in the US & the world at the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber to specifically learn how to treat critical hyper-acute diving accident casualties.

No matter how you choose to spin it & nitpick it DaleC, you just keep on putting your foot in your mouth. . .

6. DaleC

DaleC Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Well some one sure does...

Hyper-acute diving accident casualties. Does the Chamber actually use that term or are you just making it up?

The only time I've heard hyper acute used in health care is specifically in terms of describing a stroke phase.

7. George Price

George Price Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Howdy Folks,
    You didn't lose me and I'm grateful for all your advice. In all this posting I have learned:
    a. The medical scuba community is very passionate about this subject.
    b. I had not refined my questions very well.
    c. My current EMT status is sufficient once I add long term patient care (+1 hour patient support) and the techniques for diver specific medical trauma.
    I will be taking NOLS Wilderness EMT for my further development, as I am unlikely to be a shipboard EMS provider. Than you all for your input.