Advanced Nitrox with Deco Procedures $

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just curious what the ballpark cost on these courses ranges around ? I realize diffrent Agencies and Instructors will charge diffrently .The only Quote I have been able to get so far is 750.00 Includes two weekends of class and dives 6-8 without gas this is through a TDI instructor . There are 6 of us taking the course just seems a little expensive but if thats the cost so be it . Just wondering if i should shop around a few diffrent Instructors ? As well as speaking to students they have taught to make sure we will be getting a good course and not just a card.

Thx for the help.

I appologize if I have used the wrong forum please move me..

Price sounds about right. Especially in Canadian $ !!

I just looked at the TDI standards for Deco Proceedures (Old copy) It states the max number of students per instructor is 4.

ianr33:
Price sounds about right. Especially in Canadian $ !!

I just looked at the TDI standards for Deco Proceedures (Old copy) It states the max number of students per instructor is 4.

You sir are correct . Was just looking at some of the new literature and 4 is the max per Instructor:wink:

There were 3 classes I could have chosen from for my TDI advanced Nitrox and deco.
1st was $1200nz + gst (12.5%) + gases + boat charter
2nd was $795nz + gases + boat charter
3rd was $ 670nz (about $450us) including accomodation gases boat and food.
Now there is the old saying about paying peanuts and getting monkeys so I was very dubious about going with the cheap option. And the 1st option just seemed well over priced even though it was with the countrys top tec diver.
I self learn very well and have been preparing for this course for the last 6 months and had 20 odd double dives before hand. Already read and understood the course material etc and after doing some research on the instructors went with the cheapest one. It was a very busy 3 days but we all had a great time and didnt feel like we missed out on anything at all.
I did look at this a bit diffrent from others. Some people I know said they would never do such a course so cheaply but I felt I understood the theory quite well, my skills were adaquite and most of all I realised no mater what instructor I chose my training would not end once I finnished the course. I saw it more like a tecnicalty for getting my card and deffinatly not the start and end of training, just the middle part.
YMMV

We have a TV programm here called Target where they hide cameras and film tradespersons as they work and evaluate there services. It never suprises me that the most expencive ones hardly ever do the best job and quite often the cheapest ones do. I gave up judging someones skills by the $$ they charge along time ago. My advice is to research your instructor but most of all prepare yourself.

Thx Packhorse you definetly make some good points. I have in the range of 40 dives on doubles and agree with your statement about middle training ,as well as not going cheap . Just have to do my research on a few Instructors to see which course I can walk away with the best Instruction if that happens to be the most expensive course so be it . That said I think the course is more about a good Instructor than price.

I am currently going through an Adv. Nitrox course through IANTD & it was $300+ books. I have done the classroom portion & the confined water portion. We are waiting until the quarry waters warm up a tad (plus ironing out some scheduling issues) to do the open water portion.

When it comes to this kind of training - I ignored pricing, and looked for quality instructor.

I would rather pay a lot more for a great instructor than shop by price and not get a quality education - that doesn't mean that you can't find quality instruction at a competitive price.

If it were me I would search for the quality instructors where you want to dive, interview them - and then compare your interview notes with there prices. You should also consider that it may take you longer to certify than the minimum standard number of dives. which means the course would cost more in the long run.

There is a lot to learn and it's the beginning move from rec to tec

Many of us here can make instructor recommendations so if your interested - start a thread and ask

Cheers

-s

How long do these courses take to complete? Is it a couple day thing or is it weeks on end? I have 2 weeks off and would like to take the courses. Would this be enough time? Thanks

p1medicshawn:
How long do these courses take to complete? Is it a couple day thing or is it weeks on end? I have 2 weeks off and would like to take the courses. Would this be enough time? Thanks

That really depends on you. My TDI course was in doubles with stage and deco bottles. I took quite a while as I also learned to dive doubles and a drysuit all at the same time. The course will go quicker if you are already very good in doubles. The better your buoyancy control in doubles the easier the class is. I have seen some folks get through this in 4 days, others several weekends.

This isn't the kind of course that you should feel that you will pass the first time through. The best thing is to discuss this with your instructor before you start the class. But be prepared to go longer than the published minimums.

Cheers

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom