Advanced Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shop around for a course that will give you academics and as many dives as possible. YMCA's Silver Advanced is an example of what I mean. It is an excellent course that will take you through different experiences and turn you into a much better diver. You'll learn the theory and practice of advanced diving while in class and while making the required 10 dives. OTOH, YMCA's AOW course isn't worth taking. It's merely 5 dives with very limited academics. I refuse to teach that class and I don't recommend similar courses from other agencies either.

While you can take your Advanced class right out of OW, you'll get more out of it if you make approximately 25 dives between OW and the start of your advanced course.

Thats what I thought! I thought I'd probably do better if I ahd about 25 dives under my belt before venturing off for 'more plastic. I have been thinking about GUE's DIRF class next...

By the way, if this is who I think it is, thanks for the nice wrist slate. I write my NDL times and depths on it in conjunction with my bottom timer when I dive. Sweet setup...

Thanks again!

I know I went from OW and then a week later was doing AOW with 5 specialties, I believe it is up to how comfortable you are with your diving and the skills you have learned.

Rich :mean:

I took my AOW almost right after OW. Some people feel they would like a few more dives under the watchful eye of an instructor than the five dives on the OW course for PADI. It may help you gain more confidence and feel more relaxed under water.

It did this for me. Although I must say that in my case, this class turned out to be nothing more than more dives with an experienced buddy. In other words, my "instructor" did'nt instruct.

Suffice it to say that first and foremost you should spend some time researching and finding an instructor that will actually teach you better diving techniques and how to improve. Until you find a competent instructor through research or a trusted recommendation you might as well read the AOW book and go diving within your comfort zone with an experienced buddy.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom