Advanced Open water diver looking for Malta recomenmdations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, my name is Pete. I've been diving for 4 years now and recently got my fiancé certified as well. My fiancé and I are traveling on a European cruise in November and will be diving in Malta on 11/6/2018. I am looking for divers who have decent recommendations for diving there. I have seen plenty of videos and nothing has grabbed my attention thus far. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I am assuming you will be depth restricted, (20m?).

Malta is a mix of scenic and wreck. A number of the wrecks where intentionally sunk, some of the others are war casualties, Malta suffered significantly during the second world war, the country and its citizens where awarded the George Cross.

Although there is not much of it left the wreck of the HMS Maori it is shallow (16m) and located 100m from the shore in Valletta, this is a war casualty from February 1942. Its pretty, with a good selection of life, a nice shore dive.

The north of the Island, Cirkewwa, is probably the busiest diving area, its closest to the big tourist hotels (although the whole of the island is a tourist area). This is the area most people are taken to dive, especially if they are newer divers.
The wreck of the Um el Faroud is a nice dive (intentionally sunk after an accident in the dock yards), but probably too deep.

What type of dives are you interested in?
The Mediterranean, is not as prolific with life as the Red Sea or Caribbean. It doesn't have any coral, and has been heavily fished.

On a side note - the Valletta harbour cruise is worthwhile (I recommend the smaller boats/operators).
Medina is a must see, Fontanelle tea rooms is worth a visit (the cakes are excellent), if you visit, and you get a great view of the Island. Its also very pretty at night.

Gareth J thank-you for the response. I'm advanced open water so I'm certified up to 40m. I was interested in the Tuna farm dives they have there but have not found a dive shop yet to confirm that option. We are diving here because our cruise is stopping at various points (See attached itinerary) in the Mediterranean and this seemed like the best option. Should we dive at a different port? We would just like to make the best of what we've got. I've watched some of the videos on the various wrecks and little marine life in Malta and none seem too extravagant. I know not to expect too much but I figured I could ask for some advice and possibly find something worth the effort.

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 38
I guess part of the issue is that if you dive, you are potentially going to miss some of the sites of Malta.

I assume the ship will be running organised trips to various places on Malta (probably at extra cost :)). I would also expect the ship to dock in Valletta itself, this is where most cruise ships go I believe.
The Maori would be viable, actually being just outside the Valletta walls in St Elmo Bay. Which would minimise travel. Potentially allowing you to work around other excursions.
There are a number of dive centres just outside Valletta that might be able to help, although I don't know any of these personally. I have used Divemed in Marsaskala.

I don't know what the Tuna farm is like as a dive, never having done this. It would also be a boat dive.

Enjoy Malta, and the cruise.

Gareth

@Gratzerp35 , while you're in Kotor, try and arrange diving at Mamula island, Poseidon city or Blue cave. Unfortunately, I can not provide you with any dive shops there, since all my diving there is done during my club dive trips. Weather limited options are Dobrech and Mamula.

@Gratzerp35 - Since it's just a 1 day stay I would miss the tuna dive. Its mainly diving in a large net with adult tuna circling about defecating along the way. Try to arrange a dive trip to Gozo (20min ferry), you should be able to make 2 dives. Dwejra or Reqqa point for superb scenery, or MV Karwela or MV Cominoland, both average wreck dives. If time permits a second dive; you can also opt for nice shallow sites, Mgarr Ix-Xini, Xlendi bay.

Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom