Advanced Wreck Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Egg et al;

I got into diving just to get into the wrecks. I want to do some of the biggies: Scapa Flow, Truk, the Saratoga, and the U-Boats of of the Carolinas.

PADI's rule's for the Wreck Spec Course are kinda bizarre (I took the class portions a month ago and will do the dives in the next few weeks). First they require all the correct stuff (double lights, cave reels, etc...). The rules state that penetration is acceptable - to a 130-140 linear distance and not past the light zone.

The linear distance is the depth plus the distance into the wreck itself. For example, if the wreck is at a 80' depth, PADI allows for (140-80=60') a 60' penetration.

The light zone means that at any point in the penetration, you should be able to turn off your dive light and still see light from the natural environment. And yes, this means no night penetrations as well.

I am not sure if these rules are from dive experts or lawyers.

I too, wish to take a more indepth course and I will wait until I hit 75-100 logged dives. Egg, I still love the wrecks and there is enough to see on the decks and in the wrecks that have fallen apart (great photo ops!). Much of the thrill is in knowing the history of the wreck and then seeing it up close and personal.

Oh, and don't be afraid to dive wet in some less warm water. I am comfortable in 42F water with a 3/2 7mm, but make sure you wear a bibbed hood.

Regards to all;

Hey Onterio Diver, which part of Onterio are you from? I dive with some guys from Sault Ste. Marie Onterio once in a while.

Mike

I'm out of Toronto Ontario.

If you are out of Marquette MI, you might be interested in the Marquette. She is/was a two masted 140', schooner that went down off of Hope Island outside of Penetanguishene. She went down in 1867 and is in 30-40' of water. She is a collapsed wreck with the hull about 60% intact and upright. I dove on her 6 weeks ago. It is an excellent novice dive on a very pretty wreck, and no opportunity for penetration. If you don't know how they built ships in the 1860's, you'lll have a good idea after diving this wreck. If you can get up here Sir Egg, the Penetang area has some great wrecks as does Tobermory, both areas are best if using a charter boat.

(as I cleverly tie back into the thread about novice wreck diving <G>)

Regards all;

Old wrecks are great. There's a wreck up here called the Sandusky (brig) in the Straits of Mackinaw that sunk in 1856 and sits upright and intact in 80' of water. The bow sprit and rigging are there, anchors, a wood stove are interesting. The Straits are awesome with about 20 intact wrecks within about 20 miles of each other. Kind of spoiled up here with all the intact wrecks.

Take care.

O-D,

A very ambitious list! And a fun one! Let me say a few words about Truk...

I dove there this year and it was a blast. Three of the guys I dove with were very experienced wreck divers--they have been diving for over 30 years and have done inumerable wrecks in the Northeast US--the rest of us were mere novices compared to them. The DM guided us, but you were free to roam about on your own should have chosen to. The three guys mostly stuck with the group--a "loose" group--but occasionly would divert and do some deeper penetration.

I usually did the "minor league" penetrations with the DM and we were never really far from an "escape hatch", but I did one of the "unsanctioned" ones with the "pros from Dover" (See Mash, the movie for this reference.). While we were only doing an engine room and I never lost sight of the hatch it was deeper than I had ever gone into a ship. And it was great. But I was happy to be along with those experienced wreck divers and to see how closely they kept track of each other. I was also very happy to feel that spare light in my pocket...

But, what I really wanted to say was that most of the diving on Truk does not require sophisticated wreck diving experience since the dives are guided and intended for "average" divers. The diving is deep--usually the min is 80' and many of the dives take you to 120-150'(or deeper, if you want). So, you need to be adept at air management in a deep environment to maximize your experience.

The water is warm, too! The best time to go, I think, is in Feb-Mar in terms of water temp, weather, visibility (algae bloom can start in late Spring), etc. So, when you feel confident about your deep diving capability, think hard about Truk: you really do not need to be an advanced wreck diver. Finally, there is a book by Klaus Lindemann, Hailstorm, The Dive Guide, Pacific Press http://www.hailstormx@aol.com, that is extremely helpful in understanding what to look for and what you are looking at.

I will await the slings and arrows....

Joewr

The answer is yes, if you want to go "DIR", you would have to buy all Halcyon gear, no ifs, ands, or buts. That is what DIR is all about, a marketing ploy for Halcyon. Also, contrary to their claims, "DIR" is not an "upgrade", and "DIR" divers are not superior to everyone else.

Originally posted by BetterLateThannever
Hey Frog,

One thing I have been wondering about; if a previously non-DIR diver wants to take a GUE/DIR course such as the one mentioned above, will he/she be required to completely re-gear to DIR specs or will they teach you in the gear you already own, ie; Zeagle Ranger BC versus Halcyon BPw/wings?

etc.,etc.,

I beg to differ. In fact, any non bungied wing and BP will suffice. Halcyon simply makes the best constructed wing on the market, and they do so because no one else would meet the challange. The same can also be said about EE's lights.
You're right about DIR not always being an upgrade. Most times it's a significant downgrade. Instead of buying some convulated expensive piece of equipment, you get a cheaper, simpler, more streamlined gear configuation that will grow with you and never need replacement as you get more advanced.
You are also right about DIR divers not always being superior to all others. If you don't have it between the ears, DIR doesn't mean squat. However, couple experience, good training, and DIR and you have an excellant combination for virtually any type of diving.

Mike

Padi wreck diver course may include penetration at the instructors discretion. Penetration, if included, is limited to a 130' linear distance to the surface and still being in the light zone.

You should talk with the instructor offering the course to check if penetration will be included as part of the course.
If it is, then there are strict standards that must be maintained for this dive. This includes a maximum of 2 students per wreck diving instructor. Any more than 2 regardless of how many DMs or non wreck certified instructors is a violation of standards.

I found the wreck course very interesting and thorough, but I had an excellent instructor. As always, the quality of the instructor is vital.

DiverDave

Bob Decker at Olympus in Morehead City, NC runs an Advanced Wreck course for both PADI and NAUI ... 4 dives, line handling, penetration, but less than 130 linear feet to surface ... good solid basic wreck knowledge ... he does not require wings and bp as yet but explains why they are a better rig and discusses DIR and other tech set ups

Greg you think DIR is a marketing ploy so everyone buys grear from Halcyon? What a strange statement i know plenty of DIR divers without ANY Halcyon kit. Some of Halcyons kit is not DIR either, but they dont choose to tell you that. 'Fact' is there wings are nothing short of awesome, period. Not a flame by any means but i felt that i had to correct you on that point.

Who said DIR divers are superior to everyone else? hmmm. In my experience it doesnt matter what kit configuration or mindset you choose to follow/create, you will still be convinced that it is the 'right' way to go, otherwise why would you employ it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom