advantages of getting a DM - is it worth it and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
practicing something wrong doesn't make it right over time.
i only partially agree with that. it depends on how perceptive one is of his/her skills and mistakes. that ability is based on prior knowledge and that does not necesserily need to come from an instructor. So, there is process of self-corectness involved assuming an individual knows the right way. also, highly experienced divers that one dives with can point things out for further improvement.

Dibblerr:
Just how good do you need to be, its really not difficult, once you have your bouyancy under control, have learnt & practised rescue skills (self & Buddy) can deploy SMB's and are confident in the water (oh and can be a decent buddy)... Just go diving, that will make you a better diver.

If you are lacking in some area either practise it or get an instructor to help. For recreational diving purposes you can only be taught so much, at some point you need to break away from the fold and go diving...

Just an opinion
Agreed, however, how do you know what good buoyancy is unless you see it? I would venture to guess 90% of all divers have no clue what a diver who is truly in control looks like. I am sure many think they do.....I have seen some of them in action, trust me they don't, including some DMs and instructors. If I got nothing else out of DIR-F it was the opportunity to dive with and observe divers who really do know what buoyancy control is. I thought I knew before watching these guys in action. Years later I still am working on getting close to their skill level....at least I know where I want to be. I don't agree with or follow a lot of the things taught in DIR-F but the diving skills portion of the class was well worth the expense and time.

Most of the DM's who I have been associated with sort of hang around the dive shop and puddle around with a bunch of divers, showing them sea horses, eels and pretty much not paying attention to much else.

i have to disagree with most of the other posters.

I myself am an Instructor without really thinking of the commercial side. Just for fun, and because it made my diving better. I am also not teaching regulary, just some times when I feel like that.

I think becoming a DM has beneath some other advantages (maybe not having to swim with the herd on a trip, btw, a tecnical brevet is here even more worth than a instructor brevet :wink:) the adventage that you (should) develop a sense to detect many problems before they really can harm anyone, and it should all in all increase the diving safety of your buddies. If you often do Instabuddy it's not baad to take the course.

the big difference between DM/Instructor/+ and the levels before ist that with Divemaster you start diving for others. This can also be satisfying, but it is quite a difference

in contrast to that just gaining experience by diving is also not bad. so dive,dive,dive!

Daniel

I learned a lot during my DM course but I would guess it was also partially due to living on a resort island and diving a lot with friends who were instructors and DMs already. We'd dive for fun in the morning and have class in the afternoon.
But I've heard many horror stories of DMs and instructors plowing up quarry bottoms and not having skills. Personally I've not had the experience to see that but as I said, I've only dived tropical.

Mikhail Frenkel:
... i've decided not to take DM class. I will take a dive rescue + CPR class in September since it's a good thing to know and the price is great. I'll dive and get more experience and maybe take Master Scuba Diver class some time in the future.

As you probably know, the Rescue and CPR/First aid are prerequisites to doing the DM course, anyway.

All that, and... Chicks dig Divemasters.

Absolutely true.

If your intention is to go forward and work in the industry as a fulltime DM or move up towards instructor. Then yes do the DM course. You will however not evolve your skills but more your dive knoweldge. Your skills should technically be well advanced prior to you entring your DM course. and the only way to do that is to dive alot and work with more skilled divers to get your trim, your bouyancy, your finning techniques all down solid. Entering the DM world, many will look to you and hope your skill set is superior or ELITE to them so they have someone to look up to.

Imagine if you will, you are working as a DM on a boat. Surrounded by poorly skilled divers whom need a guiding hand. BUT your skill set is that of a rookie aswell and you end up being surpassed by a seasoned diver whom is just out to have fun. His skill set is far superior to yours.

The point is, your skills MUST be set the bar. Your skills is what will make you a better diver. Get all the techniques down right. Take a more advanced training like the GUE-F course where your skills will be tested. anyone can read a book and learn dive theory, no one can master bouyancy, trim, finning style or even gas management by reading a book...get out and train, practice, work out be in the best shape you can be.

You do not have to be a DM to be a good diver. Diving with better divers makes you become a better diver.

Also as a DM you become a glorified babysitter to poorly skilled divers whom should be able to get dressed by themsleves. There is nothing wrong with helping folks out. But having to practically set them up and litterally hold there hands has they struggle to suit up. Then run out of air in the first 20 minutes of diving and you have to get there fat asses out of the water. And if your lucky you get a thank you and a big fat tip...most of the times you get nothing. But a sad story on how they we more in shape a few years a go and do not understand why they go through a tank of air so quickly...( um because you are so fat and out of shape, may be the cause..and them 5 cigarerttes you had prior...:D )

and yes CHICS love DM'S...especially if you are able to help them out...get them in the water, watch over them and treat them well...you will be well --um..rewarded...trust me.

Safe dives.

RoatanMan:
All that, and... Chicks dig Divemasters.
Absolutely true.

They do????????????? :D

I love it when helping out in an OW course that students at first think that the "Dive Master" must rule supreme over the hapless instructors :14:

Cheers.

-J.-

TSandM:
Well, the only problem with "dive, dive, dive" is that issue of having one year of experience fifty times -- practicing something wrong doesn't make it right over time.

So true! These words should be applied to more then just diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom