Adventures in finding a mask that doesn't leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS. I am one of like 3 people whom Dano's Mako Mini doesn't fit, and I do keep coming back to the older Cressi pano -- the one before single-window piece in the front -- as the one that doesn't leak. I can recommend Dano's "fit or your money back" guarantee, or at least the money back part.

How slow do you do your laps? :wink:-- You pull the mask off just by pushing off the wall. Also if you have the snorkel on the side, you pretty much have to go real slow or it'll pull the mask to the side and break the seal.

I do the 1000 yards in about an hour. I'm not a speed demon. Use a kickboard. Masks leak from the bottom when I'm doing laps, just like when I equalize when diving.

Marie..

Order the MAKO Minimus mask. If it does not fit to your satisfaction,. I will accept a return. No risk to you. The mask fits a huge proportion of people and provides un- restricted visibility... Give it a shot!!

Thanks
Dano.

I really hope you can find a mask that works. The Cressida panoramic from amazon that you mention works perfect for me but our faces aren't much alike.

Looking at your avatar your face looks quite broad so maybe a mask without as much curve to the seals when looked at from above. Ie the side seals aren't as long as others. Just a guess from on photo though so go with what seals in the shop.

If it seals well in the shop it should be similar to dive. If the problem only occurs during equalization are you perhaps pulling up on the mask while pinching the nose? Or is your hood interfering with the mask seal? You can also try tightening or loosening the strap a bit.

Good luck

Happens whether or not I'm wearing a hood.

Just keep trying masks. I went through several before finding one that seemed to fit right.

As far as "doing something wrong," I discovered two things. One, I reduced the leakage by loosening the mask strap--just barely enough tension to hold it on my face before entering the water. The other thing I discovered is that I am prone to unconsciously making facial expressions that distort my face just enough allow a little water to seep in. For example, if I see something that makes me think "wow," I might grin. As weird as it sounds, keeping a bit of a poker face has reduced the leakage for me. The more obvious culprits under the "doing something wrong" umbrella include unconsciously breathing through your nose rather than mouth, but I suppose you're aware of that one.

Just keep trying masks. I went through several before finding one that seemed to fit right.

As far as "doing something wrong," I discovered two things. One, I reduced the leakage by loosening the mask strap--just barely enough tension to hold it on my face before entering the water. The other thing I discovered is that I am prone to unconsciously making facial expressions that distort my face just enough allow a little water to seep in. For example, if I see something that makes me think "wow," I might grin. As weird as it sounds, keeping a bit of a poker face has reduced the leakage for me. The more obvious culprits under the "doing something wrong" umbrella include unconsciously breathing through your nose rather than mouth, but I suppose you're aware of that one.

Yep, face contortions, grinning, smiling trying to look over my shoulder (wasn't my buddy just right there a second ago...) definitely makes my masks leak, even the much better fitting one. Haven't figured out yet how to avoid that... but I also think purging has become a partially subconscious act as it does not bother me anymore unless I need both hands for something else...
When I try hard to avoid face contortions, then there is no leak. But my non contortion success rate is limited. If I want to grin I grin. OK, a wet grin then...

What an earlier reply said should be true: If you can put it on your face and create a vacuum with no mask strap, and it stays on your face and doesn't fall off moving in all directions, even with your face pointed straight down, you should be good. I would have someone watch you when you dive to figure out what is going on. If all these masks are leaking like this or even full blown flooding continuously, it sounds like you may be doing something wrong inadvertently.

How tight is your strap? Having a strap on too tight will actually flatten the skirt and create leaks/floods. The strap doesn't need to be tight at all - remember it should vacuum even without a strap.

I always look angry when I'm diving because if I don't then my mask will leak. Also I need to use one of the comfort bite mouthpieces on my regs so that my mouth can be relaxed. If I use a normal mouthpiece then it changes the the shape of my face because I have to hold it down with my back teeth rather than the front. It's silly

How tight is your strap? Having a strap on too tight will actually flatten the skirt and create leaks/floods. The strap doesn't need to be tight at all - remember it should vacuum even without a strap.

Yes. This!

Back
Top Bottom