Advice about tech training, please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My concern (and correct me if I'm wrong) was that the emphasis on the team approach and constant team interaction would be hard for a photographer/videographer and for my buddies. Or am I off base with that impression?

I would like to speak as an amateur videographer who dives in both team and not-so-team groups. I bring my camera on every dive (albeit mine is much smaller than yours) and while I am shooting lots of video for my dives I still prefer to place the dive first with video second. And at first it was a challenge in task-loading but the more you do it the easier it gets. With patient teammates it will soon become a non-issue, as you will be able to manage the camera, team, and eventually leading the dive while shooting video/photos and maintaining team cohesion.

Inevitably the camera comes in handy in a team environment: for instance this weekend we were doing training on our second dive of the day and I ended up shooting for both teams. But even on fun dives we can manage to include the camera into the equation. But IMO it isn't fair to make every dive a video/photo dive: the camera can come along but I owe it to my buddies to meet the goals of the dive, even if it means sacrificing an awesome shot. Luckily I don't have to do that too often, since our dives aren't that meticulous but that's where the team approach comes in: we all may sacrifice a little bit but we gain a lot more by sharing the experience and everyone gets most of what they wanted. I'm willing to accept that, because I can always go diving again.

Finally, I leave you with some shameless plugs regarding team diving and videos:

IDH 14 Jan 2011 on Vimeo : Blackwood came over for a visit and since conditions were iffy for shore diving we hopped a boat charter. This was my first time diving in a DIR team with TWO cameras :shocked2: especially since we had never dived together before but it worked out great!

HaTeD Training 5 Jan 2011 on Vimeo : Joined our local GUE crew (Hawaii Technical Divers) for a midweek training dive. Jo, our soon-to-be GUE instructor, was mentoring two pre-Fundies divers on skills while my Fundies partner Bruce and I decided to work on ascents and descents since he had just replaced the dump valve in his drysuit. We ended with a quick trip to the Buddha statue then hung around with a bunch of turtles while we watched the Fundies guys work on their skills before turning the dive on cold.

Makaha 11 Nov 2010 on Vimeo : This was a Big Dive for myself and my friend Murphy. He's not GUE, but still an awesome diver and I really enjoyed this dive. We traveled almost a mile round-trip underwater to visit a site that's normally enjoyed from a boat. We visited a lot of the caverns and met some friendly turtles, as well as scared some recreational divers when we emerged from a shadowy lava tube right behind them in our doubles and my drysuit :wink:.

Peace,
Greg

Mike, the GUE classes are typically schedule on demand. I would give Bob Sherwood a call directly on his cell phone. You can find his phone number on the GUE website or his shop All About Scuba website. If you have enough buddies to schedule a class, he'll do so. If it's just you, he can potentially help you find other people to buddy with the put together a class. He does many of his classes at Dutch Springs if that is convenient for you, and he will also travel all over the country and abroad to teach. He can also rent you gear for the class like doubles if you need it. Good luck and have fun!

P.S. - if you can't find his number or have questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Mike, the GUE classes are typically schedule on demand. I would give Bob Sherwood a call directly on his cell phone. You can find his phone number on the GUE website or his shop All About Scuba website. If you have enough buddies to schedule a class, he'll do so. If it's just you, he can potentially help you find other people to buddy with the put together a class. He does many of his classes at Dutch Springs if that is convenient for you, and he will also travel all over the country and abroad to teach. He can also rent you gear for the class like doubles if you need it. Good luck and have fun!

P.S. - if you can't find his number or have questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Terrific, thanks so much... I'm out at Dutch a lot (have a season pass).

Very excited about moving on with my training....!

Mike

Thanks Doctor Mike for asking the questions, I am currently doing TDI avanced nitrox and decompression procedures here in the Solomon Islands where they are the only entry tech options. I am a photographer and once back in NZ lster this year, may explore GUE. Good luck with your path.

Alison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom