Advice for 8 days of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eugene_k

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi fellow divers, a first timer to Philippines asking for an advice for a last minute diving trip. I seem to have done enough homework to ask for help here.

I figured that out of 12 full days Dec 24 - Jan 4 I plan to spend two days in the beginning and two days at the end for sightseeing in Manila and around and getting to and from dive destinations. This leaves me 8 days for diving which I thought I could split between two general locations and one day of travel in between them.

Location 1: either Puerto Galera or Coron.

Location 2: Some location in the Visayas. I am lost between so many options there such as Padre Burgos, Bohol island area, Damaguete area, Moalboal, Malapascua.

My constraints:
- I need to spend first 3 days at one place so my son can finish his diving certification (I myself can do most any recreational dive).
- I am after dive site quality but also appreciate beauty and some fun activities above water. I also enjoy freediving and would value a location where I can go snorkeling the arrival/departure day or even take a rest day.
- I have not booked anything besides a flight to Manila so if some location gets fully booked around New Year I might look elsewhere.

Questions:
1) Does this make sense in general or should I stick to a single area?
2) Which location to start from so my son can certify and see some nice stuff?
3) I'd like to dive Apo reef. Do I need to book a liveaboard or it is enjoyable enough as a day trip from either Puerto Galera or Coron? In general, is it better to stay in Puerto galera or Coron given my constraints.
4) Where to stay and dive in the Visayas? This seems to be particularly hard choice for a Philippines first timer.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your input,
Eugene

Padre Burgos would be an excellent choice - either for your entire 8 days diving or in combination with either Bohol or Malapascua. Padre Burgos is a very peaceful location with 3 well established dive shops to choose from where your son can get his certification, and there is an excellent choice of dives - macro, walls, muck dives and pristine reefs. Whale sharks are now being seen reliably and other operators, in addition to the dive shops, also offer great uncrowded whale shark watching tours including reef snorkeling and dolphin watching (only snorkeling is permitted with the whale sharks).

Travel from Padre Burgos to Bohol is relatively quick, but it will take a whole day to get to Malapascua. Given that Christmas and New Year will interfere with the timetables and lots of locals will be travelling to see families, you might be best advised to stick to 1 location.

I think you will be able to find a decent instructor for your son at any of the locations you mentioned.

In my opinion I think Coron may not be the best place for your son as it is mostly wreck oriented and he may not be able to enjoy them after his certification.

If you would like to stay relatively close to Manila you can split your time between ANilao and Puerto Galera(possibly do APO REEF while in PUerto Galera).

It is easy to travel between any of the following Visayan locations listed below.

A. Bohol Alona/Cabilao/Anda
B. Cebu Malapascua/Moalboal
C. Negros Dauin/Apo Island(not apo reef)

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the your APO Reef Logistic questions.

Cheers,
Roger

I would probably try to spend my dive time in one location instead of spending time traveling in between. While I'm sure there are exceptions, I'll bet transferring will almost always be more time and trouble than you'd expect, especially over the holidays. Also if you tightly schedule and have only 3 days where your son is getting certified, and something goes wrong (instructor problems, ear problems, congestion, etc.) that it takes an extra day or more, that will mess up your plans. Might also be nice for him to continue diving with the same folks for a few days after his OW dives, get settled and get used to the routine one place. Just pick a place where you can get to other distinct dive locations or a variety of diving on boat trips.

1. To save you money and time from travelling, the best bet is Anilao and Puerto Galera.
2. But you need to arrange your accommodation FIRST.
3. Christmas is NOT a good time to learn diving as every staff will be occupied.
4. Most resorts in Anilao do not have their own BOAT!!!!!! So diving is less flexible eg. boat go out for two dives and then back to the resort.
5. No such problem in PG as the sites are pretty near. I am more inclined to suggest PG over Anilao for you son certification. All the resorts in PG have their own resident instructor.
6. Stay well clear from the fire work if you treasure your eyes and fingers/hand.

Hi Eugene,

Some good advice above... first and foremost, start emailing people about accommodation as soon as you finish reading, if you haven't already! For example on Malapascua I think you would struggle to find a room anytime before the 2nd of Jan. If you showed up and wandered around you probably could, but if I was you I'd like to have something booked before I arrive. PG may be easier due to large numbers of places there. But also as Centrals said instructors may be booked up already.

I also think your time is quite limited and definitely traveling at that time is a pain in the backside, so sticking to PG - which fits most of your requirements for activities, snorkelling, and so on - is probably your best bet.

Good luck and enjoy.

Matt.

I would agree with the comments to book rooms as soon as you get things figured out. Christmas is busy in the Philippines. My first question would be how old is your son, and how comfortable is he in the water? That has a big influence on my recommendations.

If you come to Coron, you could dive the wrecks while he is doing his open water course. The reputable shops won't do their open water training dives on the wrecks. But there is still quite a bit for him to see on the reefs nearby.

From Coron town, there are only liveabords to Apo Reef. However, you could transfer to the north side of Busuanga and dive Apo reef from there on day trips. Another option would be to take the trip down to El Nido, and Puerto Princessa. From Puerto Princessa fly back to Manila.

Also, there is now a direct flight from Coron to Cebu. If you want to dive in a different part of the Philippines.

Plan a few potential itineraries and send a couple emails to the dive shops. My biggest recommendation is to get in touch with the instructor that will be teaching the course. Call him/her if you can. I said age was important earlier. There is a big difference in teaching a 13 year old and a 23 year old. If your son is younger and smaller make sure the shop has smaller sized wetsuits, gear, and maybe even smaller (lighter) tanks. Go with the one that makes you and your son feel the most comfortable.

If you need any more help, let us know.

Patrick

I am really impressed how responsive people on this forum are. Great and important info. Thanks a lot!

Based on input from this thread I decided to start from Puerto Galera as it sounds like a place with good probability of finding an instructor for my son in this bisiest time of year and with many diving options. I plan to spend there at least 4 days. My son will come with a PADI OW referral so he will only need 4 dives in 2 days to certify. This should leave time for some fun dives.

I decided to not spend time traveling from Manila north so it gives me 11 days for diving and traveling.

I gather, as the first option, I could stay the whole time in the same general area. I understand staying around Puerto Galera and Coron, and perhaps to Anilao too, requires very reasonable amount of travel (I practically never travel this time of year preferring a more shouldery season so I have no clue).

I still haven't fully gave up the idea of exploring Puerto Galera + one Visayan area, around Bohol for example, as the second option. Here how I am imagining my schedule then:
Dec 24 - rest day in Manila after arrival
Dec 25 - travel to Puerto Galera and get set for dives and certification (I plan to start calling for dive shops and accommodations immediately - would appreciate good advice)
Dec 26-29 - diving
Dec 30 - get to Manila (maybe the night before), fly to Tagbilaran or Cebu, and settle say around Alona (Is it reasonable to get there in one day? Any better options for this high season?)
Dec 31-Jan 3 - diving
Jan 4 - travel back to Manila to fly out next day.

Does this second option sound too crazy?

---------- Post added December 20th, 2012 at 01:19 AM ----------

To answer about my son. He is a big boy - 24yo, 6'5"==195cm tall :) so finding a wet suit for him can still be a challenge. I got him to do discover scuba in Caribbean some time ago and he was calm, confident and organized underwater. He'll arrive with a PADI OW referral.

Thank you, folks, again for all the helpful input. I'll start calling around for accommodations and diving/certification.
Would appreciate more input, of course.

Eugene,

reading your itinerary seems work well on your schedule, restrictions and purpose. Get in touch with Jonathan Venn of Blue Ribbon in Puerto Galera. Bohol is very lovely to dive in too. But you must already book the accommodations and not hope much on it as you have a couple of days left.

Anyway, have fun and travel safe.

I spent 9 days in Puerto Galera this October at the "Blue Ribbon Dive Resort" and it was excellent. Very nice resort and their staff is friendly and professional.

The ferry and bus from PG back to Manila leave early morning and arrive at Manila around 13:00. You may be able to catch a flight to Cebu on the same day but most likely will need to spend the night at Cebu. I think there are also flights from Manila to Tagbilaran, which will get you closer to Alona beach and perhaps save some time.

For the Visayas, check out "sea explorers". They have operations in several locations around the Visayas and can arrange everything for you (hotel, dives, transport). I spent almost 2 weeks with their "Island Hopping" plan last year and had a wonderful vacation. My choice there would be Alona beach and/or Dauin (for Apo island). You can travel between these two locations on their dive boat and still dive on the way which is really convenient.

Eran

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom