Advice for Family Florida road trip with some divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was trying to swing Key Largo, but its just too far away. Basically 3 hrs from the conference hotel, so cant drive there and back in a single day. I was thinking maybe we go there at the end of the conference for a couple days before heading home, but it adds another 4hrs to the ride home and additional hotel nights. We were also looking at taking the ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West, spending 2 nights, and coming back. But again it sorta blows the budget up with cost of the ferry plus extra hotel nights. Just have to save the keys for another day. I should start tracking cheap flights from New Orleans to Miami....

Another one who's done Rainbow with American Pro Dive and give it a thumbs up . I dived, my two sons snorkeled and my wife sunbathed on the boat. All boxes ticked
From memory, I think we did swim with the manatees in the morning and then the river in the afternoon

I would also suggest you hit the East coast for salt water diving, and the beaches are different or at least the water is. You can see your feet in it for a start

You probably know this already, but...DO NOT let your snorkeling daughter breath your compressed air!

Ft. Myers is an easy drive from Bonita Springs, and the Key West Express is a ferry that runs from Fort Myers to Key West - it takes about 4 hours each way; departing Ft Myers at 8:30 am in the morning and the return departs at 6 pm at night. It might be possible to do a same-day trip but it wouldn't be ideal; it would be best to overnight on Key West and return the next evening, if that would work for your party?

The non-divers could drive to Fort Myers to drop you off and then spend time exploring and enjoying the Ft. Myers and Bonita Springs areas and pick you up the following evening; see the links below.

It's just an idea, but my husband was an avid skydiver when he was younger - and I had no interest in the sport. We took several trips to Florida to scuba dive and it also gave him a chance to skydive. I would drop him off at a drop zone in the morning and then I would explore the area's sights on my own. I would pick him up at the end of the day and we would have dinner and stay at a hotel together. Your non-divers would have each other for company and maybe they would enjoy a spa day and/or a beach day while you and your son get a chance to dive Key West?

There are also short flights between Ft. Myers and Key West but I think you would still need to overnight but I am not sure.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Bonita-Springs/Key-West

https://www.keywestexpress.net/

Divers AND non-divers could take a hydro-foil to Cuba, get drunk, gamble and smoke cigars, take speed so you don't have to sleep, then return to Fl just in time to drive back home....

Last edited:
@topher10 what did you decide regarding diving during your trip with family to Florida?

Just got back from long but fun trip. We decided to drive straight to Bonita Springs and get to the beach as fast as possible. Wife and kids enjoyed the resort hotel and beach while I went to conference, although I got some beach time also. On the way back we stopped one day at Busch Gardens. Lots of roller coaster rides, but also zoo animals and some shows. It was fun.

Next day we did a manatee snorkel in the morning and drifted the Rainbow River in afternoon. The manatees were neat but not particularly exciting. We knew they would be harder to find and fewer in number since it was summer, but we still got so see several. Worth doing once but not sure I would do again. Might be a different experience in the winter.

The drift on the Rainbow River was the highlight of the trip. Wife and daughter snorkeled and had a blast. Diving was really fun. A very unique experience just floating along in extremely clear water. Fish, turtles, sand boils, springs. I really enjoyed it. My son got a little cold near the end, but the girls were fine and I was also. American Pro was the shop we used and they were easy to work with. I would/will definitely do it again if the timing works out.

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions. Hoping to hit the east coast someday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom