Advice for going from DM to Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benzo19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I got certified as a DM last year with the aim of using it as a way to sustain a small income while travelling but looks like this is a more realistic goal at an instructor level.
I work remotely and can do as long as I have a spare 5 hours each day and have done so with no problems even while keeping a full time job, my only issue doing this while travelling is getting a decent wifi signal where I stay or (in this case, work). Eventually this will support me full time but at this stage I need to do paid work for 6 month a year leaving me the rest of the year to travel but I had a few queries to ask experienced instructors, dive operators or people in the same situation.
I've contacted a few dive schools with these queries but they seem to tell me whatever I want to hear (perhaps in order to sell an instructor course) so thought I'd ask the community instead.

1. What is the best way to get work after your instructor course?
2. Should you do your course at a place you want to apply for work at when you are certified?
3. Can I do an instructor course, get certified then come back and look for work as an inexperienced instructor in 8 month's time? And if not
4. Is there any other course between DM and OWSI that will further me towards instructor qualifications, are cheaper (and will allow me to get a stack of dives in as part of the deal (I saw Assistant Instructor but not sure how worthwhile this is to do)
5. How feasible is it to 'work seasonally' (e.g. work in the high season, go home the rest of the year)

I need to make the right decision now as the falling Australian dollar has sunk my expense budget. I hope I've explained my reasons for wanting a career in diving clearly, I would assume many professional would question my commitment to teaching and with these other commitments at hand but I am more than able to carry my weight in a team while managing other goals as well.

Thanks a million

There's no best way, but physically being there when the employer needed an instructor helps a lot. This normally means being there, doing the rounds with a small 1-page CV and playing the waiting game. You can look at the PADI employment boards and apply also. Some countries (duch as SE Asia) do not advertise often as there is such a large number of transient instructors in the country. People walk in and walk out.

2. Should you do your course at a place you want to apply for work at when you are certified?
Talk to the operator about your desires to work. They may like the 'cut of your jib' and indeed hire you afterwards. There is nothing wrong with training with others though to broaden your scope.

3. Can I do an instructor course, get certified then come back and look for work as an inexperienced instructor in 8 month's time?
Yes. I don't think you'll be penalised in any way for 8 months. It is a long time to go without diving though, so make sure you get wet at every opportunity.

4. Is there any other course between DM and OWSI that will further me towards instructor qualifications, are cheaper (and will allow me to get a stack of dives in as part of the deal (I saw Assistant Instructor but not sure how worthwhile this is to do)
In PADI, no. The sequence goes DM, AssInstr, OWSI. The AssInstr is what it sounds like.

5. How feasible is it to 'work seasonally' (e.g. work in the high season, go home the rest of the year)
It's very feasible. When Egypt was 'steady', many instuctors worked high seasons alternatively in Egypt and the Maldives. Thailand has defined high seasons- some instructors move from the gulf to the western coast in different monsoon seasons.

I need to make the right decision now as the falling Australian dollar has sunk my expense budget. I hope I've explained my reasons for wanting a career in diving clearly, I would assume many professional would question my commitment to teaching and with these other commitments at hand but I am more than able to carry my weight in a team while managing other goals as well.

You're being smart- many instructors would say "Don't give up your day job".

That's great advice supergaijin, I've been asking around here and it looks like the Assistant Instructor is the go. It's half the price and everything counts towards the OWSI when I get fully certified so there's no disincentive not to do it all in one hit. And free diving!

I always picked a location first, and then e-mailed every dive centre in that area to gauge responses. Be aware that in the dive industry the majority of employers like to meet the applicant in person first. Also be aware of the dive jobs offered on the PADI website, for example, many are genuine and fine, but when you see the same company posting again and again that they need instructors, you have to ask yourself why such a high turnaround of staff...

This can make life much easier, as during the IDC the shop can get to know you. Many Course Directors have lots of contacts in the dive industry too and can help with employment advice/openings.

3. Can I do an instructor course, get certified then come back and look for work as an inexperienced instructor in 8 month's time? And if not

For sure. It'd maybe be an idea to try and work somewhere for those eight months where you can get lots of experience rather than doing this at a tiny remote island with very few students passing through.

Be aware that from an employers point of view there is not much practical advantage of being an AI over a DM, not the way dive centres tend to work in Asia anyway. DMs are hired to guide and conduct Scuba Reviews, and OWSI (and higher) for teaching, and maybe guiding and Scuba Reviews too.

Very feasible. I know many instructors who work like this. Koh Lanta in Thailand is one such island where the work is very seasonal. Many instructors work there from November through to May, then return home for a few months and come back again the following year. Others work for that time on Lanta, then head off to a different location with a different high season for a few months before returning for the following high season.

In my experience it's Networking with people you know.

I don't think that matters as much as having experience diving in the local conditions.

Yes. Landing the first gig is the hardest. See #1

AI is pointless if you're going to become and instructor. Some specialties you should really have. Nitrox is an obvious one. Go through the list of standard specialties and pick ones that you think you might want to teach and/or are things that you find a challenge yourself (navigation comes to mind as something I've seen rookie instructors struggle with).

In Australia it shouldn't be too difficult. I can't really advise you on this. In our local area there isn't enough guided diving to fill a thimble so working seasonally means volunteering to help out and maybe breaking even if you're lucky.

R..

Doing AI then going on to OWSI will cost you more money, and is really only a good option if you don't have the time/money to go straight to IDC. It can also only be done through a PADI (if you're going PADI) 5 star resort I believe

It can also only be done through a PADI (if you're going PADI) 5 star resort I believe

That is true. AI can only be done at a 5 Star (or 5 Star IDC) by an IDCS or higher.

although I don't have any advice for you, congratulations on finding a way to live the dream!

The person who will be doing my IDC recommended not doing the AI. He said there isn't much difference between DM and AI. It will cost more in the long run to become an instructor if you do AI first and you probabably won't be terribly hair able as an AI.
Just do the IDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom