Advice needed: Coco view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What bad experience did you have in Coz? Have you thought about Dominica? Hope to go there in the fall.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

charlenek:
I'm going to look into BIBR some too and see.

Hmm. Okydoky.

I'm attracted to the idea that the people of Roatan might actually be nice and geniune instead

True, but you will meet precious few real live Roatanians. They come in three flavors. 1) The Cayman Cousin types, 2) The Mainland Spaniards, and 3) The Blacks (Garifuna Islanders and transplants). There is a well established social pecking order, but all are friendly and comodious in the tourist zones as well as the countryside. The "cities" on the island... well- that's a different kettle of fish. No problems during the day, but avoid Coxen Hole and heavily populated neighborhoods after hours. Nothing for the tourist to worry about. lots of cool folks to meet, alas no real remaining "island culture" per se.

My fantasy vacation: 2-3 days of really good diving,

Roatan is the ticket.
1-2 days hiking/kayaking/exploring the island,

Tobago, Grenada, Los Roques, Bonaire

2-3 days laying around doing nothing.

My basement will do... or any island.

Oh and eating and drinking every night, but not like up 'till 2am (I'm not in college anymore!).

West End Roatan, Cozumel, Jamaica, Western Bahamas

And we're allergic to children.

Try them without the Barbecue sauce. That's prolly what's making you break out. Or... go to CCV where any kiddies who arrive are summarily Broasted. They're delightful with lemon.

One thing about the small dive boats. We do that 'cause we like to stay with the dive master since I figure they know A LOT more than we do. But we hate when there are like 15 people following the dive master. That's pointless and some dodo is always kicking you in the head or pushing you out of the way.

That's a great motto: Stay with the DM lest ye find nothing... and absolutely true. I think you need a better group of 15 divers. I have never had a problem in Roatan. One can always be the last person to get in line for a look. Occasionaly photographers must be reminded that there are other people diving, but it goes pretty well. Pick your resorts based on the quality of divers it attracts.

Also, my husband sometimes takes a few minutes to get under, he can get panicky if rushed, so we like smaller groups who can be a little understanding (like it's better if he can get in first etc).

Your husband might not be this way, but I often find that people who "need to get in first as they are panicky if rushed", well- they're the ones who are the last ones in. Once again, I don't accuse your buddy- but I see it a lot. Pre-dive panic and rush can be avoided if the diver gets into gearing up before you leave the dock. Avoid drift dives, avoid current dives. Check in advance to see if they offer moored dives exclusively.

Any other thoughts? I'd love to hear them! Thanks.

BTW, I'll remember to keep my husband away from FIBR :wink:

For any one of a number of reasons, but trust me on this one- the college aged topless sunbathers are the least of it. Although he might trip, stumble and fall whilst not looking at them.

Bad experience in Coz was really the result of bad luck. Bad weather, cancelled dives. When we finally did dive it was okay, but not great. Probably just bad luck. Also, I think we had really good luck on big island Hawaii, so that comes into play.

Now, I'm looking at Bonaire too. But I will say that I think Roatan seems like it's um, slightly more affordable. And I do love the good deal. I hate going to places that are basically thrid world countries and paying 1st world prices for food and drinks. I should be nicer and more generous, I know, but the service and quality are seldom up to par.

BIBR sounds pretty good. Anymore personal feedback on that? Food quality? Shore dive/snorkel rating? Distance to West End? Amount of kids/family?

Thanks!

Charlene

My Coco view experience.

1.) Be very careful, the bread pudding will make you slap your Momma, it is damn near deadly good. Rebecca got a pan made just for me the day before I left, so I had to share with my dive group. Next time I will try to get one sooner so I will have more time to eat it and won't have to share.
2.) Did I mention that I liked the bread pudding? I'm really not a bread pudding freak, it's just that they make it better than I have ever had in my 41 years.
3.) Had an over the water Cabana. Not near the water, not on the water, but OVER the water. The room is about like a motel room, only it has wood floors, they are not real fancy. Also there is an empty area in the back so there is plenty of room for whatever. We took some parachute cord with us to use as a clothes line, and there was plenty of room for that and our gear and everything else. This is the good part; there is a little back porch with a couple of wooden lounge chairs, a small table, and a hammock. Out beyond the back porch is the reef, that's right, you lie down in a really comfortable hammock and listen to the surf. I never in my life had a more relaxing place to stay, no traffic, no TV, no phone, no hassles.
4.) The diving would have been better if we hadn't gone during the rainy season (next to last week of Jan. this year). I only got seventeen dives due to not feeling like going out a few times, equipment issues, or experience/buoyancy problems (I stirred up so much silt at the Prince Albert on a night dive, I felt that I should leave before someone swam over and cut my air hose.). Next time, we'll go during the spring or fall and do some real diving. (Somewhere I heard that someone had the record with seven dives a day for two or three weeks, or something like that)
5.) Plenty of room on the boat, and during one particularly choppy exit, we all came up through the center of the boat. Marcos, Nester, and Gringo made a great dive team. We got neither nagged, nor orphaned. Hopefully we'll get the Yellow boat again.
6.) Critters for Elly May (the wife)- Pancho the dog and Backstrap the deer, the humming-bats, the parrots, the Moray eels that come out to eat ham and fish. (come to think of it, they might have had another name for the deer, but that's the one that stuck with me) She did pet the deer and the dog, but I couldn't convince her that the eels liked a good chin rub, go figure!?
7.) This place may be too laid back for some people. The folks that ran the place and the folks that stayed there were all very friendly. I never heard a cross word, or a voice raised in anger. Not even any back-stabbing or self-aggrandizement from the staff. Our dive group was the icing on the cake, I'm not exactly what you would call a Social Butterfly, but I found some new family members while I was there, they were the best and I felt more at home than I do at home.
8.) After you pass through customs upon entering, the Coco view staff is RIGHT THERE to make sure there are no fumbles or screw-ups, or even people wasting your time trying to sell you a time-share something-or-the-other. This is repeated when you leave. It's like when you were a kid and an adult held your hand as you crossed the street.
9.) The food was good, I ate better there than I do at home, and we also took the Gio's trip and had the sweetest lobster I have ever tasted, a monster crab, and a Jalapeno steak for <$50.00 including drinks and tips.
10.) However...Coco view is not a fancy place, but if you are a redneck or a hillbilly, you probably never had it so good, and probably won't again until you go back. (Cajuns don't count because they can get better food)
11.) $1415.00 for Air Continental from Houston IAH, All inclusive lodging/diving, Unlimited Nitrox. Our only other expense was exit tax, soda waters, and tips. (Last year, around May, Roatan Charter sold "Endless Summer Specials" for around 1150, including air from IAH with TACA, we'll be watching and hoping for a repeat.)
12.) Patty runs the dive Op. and we got expert help with all of our gear issues from her and everyone that we encountered at the dive shop. We owe Patty a few DPs too.

It sounds to me like you might want to NOT go to an all-in resort in Roatan for what you are looking for. Why not stay in the West End or West Bay area? There are any number of good places to stay and several good restaurants and bars. Multiple dive ops for those 2 or 3 days you want them are right there. I have stayed at Bananarama in West Bay and Lost Paradise in West End. Both were good and I would recommend either. There are many other lodging options that look good but those two are the ones I have tried. I dove for two weeks last year with the Bananrama folks (even when staying in the West End if that says anything about them). Two good boats, one small and one large, and the biggest group we dove with was a total of 8. Several days it was us and the DM.....very nice!

I have to agree with Roatanman, there isn't a lot to do there other than diving when compared to other islands. If you dive the first couple of days after you arrive, I'd be surprised if you didn't keep diving.....it is spectacular! Good luck!

overandover:
My Coco view experience.

1.) Be very careful, the bread pudding will make you slap your Momma, it is damn near deadly good. Rebecca got a pan made just for me the day before I left, so I had to share with my dive group. Next time I will try to get one sooner so I will have more time to eat it and won't have to share.
2.) Did I mention that I liked the bread pudding? I'm really not a bread pudding freak, it's just that they make it better than I have ever had in my 41 years.

Okay, but did you LIKE the bread pudding?

Tres Leche Cake.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Any opinions out there West End vs. West Bay? How far apart are they? Where is the shore diving/snorkeling better? What about restaurants/bars? Where is Half Moon Bay in relationship to these two?

Opinions on: Bananarama, Pura Vida, Paradise Inn? And Luna looks like an option again, for me at least.

Charlene

I have stayed a week at each, West End and West Bay, last year. I like both but there are a few more restaurants in the West End area. Bananarama is nice and a good dive op for sure. I stayed the second week at Paradise Inn and loved it.....but I still dove with Bananrama......go figure.

Half Moon Bay is near West End. I didn't shore dive or snorkel in the West End but did both in West Bay. You can easily beach dive Mandy's Eel Garden in West Bay. I'm going March 11 to the West End. You will enjoy either one........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom