Advice Needed - Diving Trip to Philippines in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phil_g

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to this group, and I would love some advice/suggestions if folks have a few minutes to write back :)

I'm looking to make a trip for two weeks in December (~ last 2 weeks of the month) to the Philippines and need some help....basic questions are as follows:

- What locations will have the best diving where I can maximize the most diving into two weeks and minimize traveling around a lot?
- Is this a good time of year to dive the Philippines weather-wise?

What I am looking for:

- Best combination of muck/macro and reef life/larger fish as well if possible
- Budget is no concern, looking for high end accommodations and/or high end liveaboard (if liveaboard prefer a boat that takes smaller number of divers)
- Prefer remote locations as far as way from crowds and large groups of tourists as possible

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some suggestions, and any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Best,
Phil

weather will be great during that period.
for good variety of dives near manila, you can do puerto galera and do a day trip to verde island for more pelagics and maybe hop over to anilao for a few days. high end resorts in galera include out of the blue and atlantis. for anila there is eagle point and acacia.
or, you could go to dumaguete and do dauin (great muck diving) and do a day trip to apo island for bigger fish. high end resorts in dauin include atlantis and bahura.
another option is to go to cebu and dive in malapascua for the tresher sharks and manta. they also have good macro sites there. contact matt reed.
fourth option is go to bohol and dive panglao, balicasag, cabilao and pamilacan for chance of diving with whales. lots of high end resorts in panglao such as eskaya and amorita.
last is sogod bay where you get to dive with the whalesharks and has some macro sites as well although they dont really have high-end accommodations there.
lots of options here in the philippines. most areas have great macro sites for photographers.

The Atlantis Resorts are great! They have two different resorts in differnet locations. Just google Atlantis Resort Phillipines and they come right up. Stayed in both resorts in 2009 and fell in love with the resort, diving, food, and the people in both locations. Also sent a group there last year and they loved it as well. Hope this helps.

We did both Atlantis resorts in December ’08. We did Dumaguete first and then transferred to Puerto Galera. The two resorts are totally different; Dumaguete is very laid back and remote so you will probably spend most of your time at the resort. The diving at Dumaguete is mainly muck unless they are going to Apo. We were there before the Ducomi pier was stripped; too bad it was a wonderful site. Puerto Galera is in the middle to Sabang beach so there are lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance. Both had good diving but I felt the diving was a little better at Puerto Galera, don’t miss the Verde Island trip it is worth the extra money. I’ve never seen as many nudibranchs on a single dive as I did at Verde Island. There are pictures here… Dumaguete and Puerto Galera Philippines - a set on Flickr

Hi Brittney and Jigo,

Thanks to both of you for the fast responses.

For Atlantis would it be relatively simple to book a week at each of their locations with minimal travel time in between?

Does either one of their locations and the two dive locations in general stand out above the other where it makes sense to spend two weeks in one place, or is the diving varied and good at each location so it's good to go to both?

Thanks again,
Phil

Hi Woodiver, thank you, very helpful!

Plan on a full travel day to go between resorts. We left Dumaguete at 7:00am and got to Puerto Galera after 4:30pm. The traffic between Manila and Bantagas can be very heavy and the road was under construction which added to the backup. A number of friends made the switch between resorts on different days and all found it took a full day. We actually left Puerto Galera a day early and overnighted in Manila, we didn't think we would make in time for a 10:30am flight if we tried to do it for Puerto Galera.

Going around Christmas is a great time. We were there for the staff Christmas party, they roasted a couple of pigs, drinks were free and each area of the staff performed singing and dancing routines. Seeing the maintenance staff as the Village People singing YMCA was great!

just fyi, last 2 weeks of Dec (between Christmas and New Years) are peak travel time here. airlines and hotels become fully booked very very early

puerto galera has some really good diving. i have probably made about a dozen trips there. i have not stayed at atlantis but have been inside and it is probably the nicest place in sabang. i usually stay and dive at big apple which is more of a mid-range place.

there is the Sikat bus that leaves ermita, manila at 8 or 8:30 every morning. you usually get to sabang about lunch time and can get one or to dives in that afternoon. I'm sure Atlantis can arrange for special transportation if that doesnt fit you schedule.

diving in subic is interesting if you are into world war two wrecks but visibility there isnt that great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom