Advice needed donning/doffing BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been volunteering at the Seattle Aquarium and this Sunday do my checkout dive to move into the diver program. All the skills are pretty basic. The only one I struggled with was taking the BC off and on in water.

Have Single 80 on Halycon plate with a 19cf pony, necklace my octo but not running long hoses.

One question is are you disconecting your drysuit inflator hose and reconnecting it as part of the drill. Any other advice welcome.

Bob I see you in the six gill video every Tuesday on my floor shift.

mjh:
I have been volunteering at the Seattle Aquarium and this Sunday do my checkout dive to move into the diver program. All the skills are pretty basic. The only one I struggled with was taking the BC off and on in water.

Have Single 80 on Halycon plate with a 19cf pony, necklace my octo but not running long hoses.

One question is are you disconecting your drysuit inflator hose and reconnecting it as part of the drill. Any other advice welcome.

Bob I see you in the six gill video every Tuesday on my floor shift.
Six gill video :confused:

Contact me if you want to get some practice with the don/doff skill ... I'll be happy to hook up with you to work on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A bunch of people who were doing the October orientation did a "skills dive" to work on the tasks that were going to be tested. One of them was don/doff in the water, and it was a good learning experience. I'd say, take your time, clip things off if you need to. When you and your rig are weighted correctly but inflated enough to be bouyant I'd say disconnect everything, as if you were going to have to toss it into a boat and climb up after. Everybody said they had plenty of time to do the drill, it's not like it was rushed. Just make sure you are very attentive to yourself and your buddy at all times, good communication is a major brownie point on this skills test.

Thanks for the help and offer of. Went out yesterday and practiced. Main thing I learned was I had "dialed in" my harness a little too much. Added a little more slack to my shoulders and no problem. Must say I really, really have come to hate snorkels.

Bob they run a video of one of the early six gill dives off the end of the aquarium pier, I could swear I see you in the background as surface support. If not you then you have a twin bother out there.

mjh:
Bob they run a video of one of the early six gill dives off the end of the aquarium pier, I could swear I see you in the background as surface support. If not you then you have a twin brother out there.
Scary thought ... but it wasn't me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I believe he is referring to Guy Becken.

mjh:
Thanks for the help and offer of. Went out yesterday and practiced. Main thing I learned was I had "dialed in" my harness a little too much. Added a little more slack to my shoulders and no problem.

Hint on harness removal if you find it a struggle (for boats and skills!)...

Re-thread the right shoulder strap about 3 inches looser than you normally would, then thread a pinchclip into the strap (both male and female bits) below the D ring with the slack loop between the halves.

Then, when you want to remove the harness easily in the water you just open the clip and hey-presto! 3inches of slack! And because you just put the clip over a slack loop, there's no break in the webbing and no chance of loosing it if the clip fails.

Cheers
Si

Thanks for all the advice the check out went fine, did the over-the-head don/dof. To my chagrin did forget to re-attach my drysuit hose until reminded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom