Doffing/donning gear underwater with long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any tricks to deal with this, too?

More practice. It's a familiarity thing....

Not sure why the SPG is causing a problem - what length HP hose do you have it on? Mine runs straight downwards, behind the wing, so it doesn't get in the way at all.

Long hose can be pesky. Again, familiarity through repetitive practice helps.

I sometimes dive from very small (not for diving) boats, which means donning/doffing kit in the water is preferential. If the water is rough, I sometimes prefer to descend 1-2 meters and put the kit on - where it's tranquil. Same on ascent - if I'm under the boat, complete my stop/s and stop again at ~2m to remove kit, before surfacing. For that reason, I do find it a usable skill.

I guess in an emergency, I would probably not be so gentle trying to get my arm out, and just pull it through pretty hard.

Slow = fast.

Slow and controlled, with tactile sensitivity, is generally going to get the job done faster.

You think it's tough with the gear you had on? Try it in sidemount. This is a skill my decompression students must complete, even those is sidemount. Most of them end up cursing me after that dive.

You think it's tough with the gear you had on? Try it in sidemount. This is a skill my decompression students must complete, even those is sidemount. Most of them end up cursing me after that dive.

Why curse you? Do you insist that they cannot remove the cylinders first?

Can't find it now, but there was a video on YouTube where a diver in full BP/wing/long hose did a doff and don midwater by "chicken winging" one arm out of the harness (left arm I believe), and then essentially "rolling" out of the gear. The don was the same movement in reverse. Very elegant.

Flip the BC over your head, it's a lot easier; works for Jacket, back-inflates, and Bp/W's. Wrap your hands around the first stage when doffing; around the tank or backplate/backing when donning. If you're using a hog harness you'll have to rest the backplate on your head until you slip your arms out/in.

I like the sound of this in theory, I'll have to try it!

Ditch all those redundant gauges. A reliable computer and compass is plenty; likewise a bottom timer, depth gauge, and compass will do too. There's no need to load yourself up with so much redundancy for open water diving. Clip off your redundant gauges in a pocket if you really want them with you. When doffing or donning gear, turn all your gauges so the face is on the inside of your wrist.

For now, the computer is my redundancy. I've always used gauges and tables so far, and the computer is brand new - this was my first time ever wearing one underwater (I figure a pool is better than the ocean!). The bottom timer is also new piece for me, it's an old (1970's princeton tectonics) analog wind up timer, which I was planning on replacing my watch with.

Tie a bolt snap to your long hose so you can clip it off when it's not in use. Coil the long hose (like you would a lasso or garden hose) as best you can and then clip it off when you go for a ditch and don (right shoulder D-ring). Clipping going up into your D-ring will be easier when the hose isn't around your neck (ie your boltsnap gate is facing out away from your backplate/BC backing)

That's how I do it on the surface, but I didn't think of it underwater.

When going for the ditch/don, breath off your backup. You should be able to flip the bungee necklace over your head even while breathing from your backup. If you're wearing a snorkel, be sure to tuck the mouthpiece into your necklace before you take it off, otherwise be prepared for a mask clear.
You should be able to flip your BC over your head without wrenching your backup from your mouth.

Again, sounds good in theory, and I won't have to worry about forgetting to take it off! ...and I lost too many snorkels to the wrath of Poseidon to keep bringing them with me, lol!

Here's the procedure for how I do it
- hover horizontal in midwater
- unbuckle
- back kick out of your BC slightly
- pull your arms out of the harness
- grab your BC and either flip it or roll it depending on how much hose you have to play with (I usually do a diagonal flip/roll)

I was trying to do the back kick in the pool as well. I move slightly backwards, and a lot downwards - let's just say I need a lot more practice with that!

Also, keep your SPG on a short hose and clipped to your waist D-ring and you shouldn't have a problem with it.

It's on a 22" hose and clipped to my left waist. I felt like it was cheating if I looked at what I was doing, so I was going on feel to get me through it. Sometimes the spg hose somehow ended up over my arm along with the harness - which as you can imagine, feels pretty awkward.

More practice. It's a familiarity thing....

If for no other reason at all, I think familiarity is enough reason to be able to do this smoothly. Just the motions of manipulating your rig in different ways is probably good practice so you're (maybe more) comfortable in a freak situation.

Not sure why the SPG is causing a problem - what length HP hose do you have it on? Mine runs straight downwards, behind the wing, so it doesn't get in the way at all.

22 inches. It sounds like I run mine the same way while I'm wearing it, but when it was off, it wasn't quite so neat, lol. But again, perhaps this was because it's a new skill with a new setup, I wasn't looking, and in free water. All the more reason to keep practicing!

I sometimes dive from very small (not for diving) boats, which means donning/doffing kit in the water is preferential. If the water is rough, I sometimes prefer to descend 1-2 meters and put the kit on - where it's tranquil. Same on ascent - if I'm under the boat, complete my stop/s and stop again at ~2m to remove kit, before surfacing. For that reason, I do find it a usable skill.

Good point!

Slow = fast.

Slow and controlled, with tactile sensitivity, is generally going to get the job done faster.

Wise words.

Tough, ehhh I dunno - but an annoying PITA. And I kid you not, when I was doing this in the pool, I was wondering how the hell guys can do this with large multi-bottle rigs and lots more gear and instruments. Tough is a good thing though, it means you have areas to improve!

I was trying to do the back kick in the pool as well. I move slightly backwards, and a lot downwards - let's just say I need a lot more practice with that!

I think the best way to learn the back kick is the way my husband did it. He got in the pool with a kick board and no gear at all, and worked on learning to swim backward just with his feet. When he could swim laps that way, he added fins. When he could swim laps THAT way, he put on his scuba gear and had a back kick. Took a couple of weeks.

Took me six months to learn it by trying it underwater from the get-go.

We've taken students in a snorkeling/free diving class and had them swimming backwards in five minutes. The gear just gets in the way at first.

Why curse you? Do you insist that they cannot remove the cylinders first?

They can do it anyway they choose. But it is easier with the cylinders in place. After all, the steel cylinders are a good portion of their ballast. :wink:

HenrikBP:
Can't find it now, but there was a video on YouTube where a diver in full BP/wing/long hose did a doff and don midwater by "chicken winging" one arm out of the harness (left arm I believe), and then essentially "rolling" out of the gear. The don was the same movement in reverse. Very elegant.

When I was diving backmount I was able to doff and don my rig midwater. This was with doubles. I could probably still do it if I tried but I would want at least one practice run.

Just had to go through this down in MX every time we got back on the panga. I take basically the same approach as AJ. It's not a big deal with some practice, but I did find I was getting a bit of water down my neck each time I pulled the rig over my head to doff it. Not sure if it was a technique issue or just something that happens with a neo neck seal...

I take the necklace off and breath the long hose through the entire thing. Then its 'up and over' with the tank, and everything ends up in front. Reverse the process for putting it back on. I'm always sure to toss the longhose out to the side when putting on the waist strap, then I put the bungee on, followed by proper longhose routing and a double check to make sure its not trapped under the harness.

If you need to hand your kit up to a boat or something, coiling and clipping off the longhose works well for keeping everything somewhat manageable.

I think donning and doffing is a skill one should possess if entanglement hazards are a potential threat, though one can always doff a rig, clear it and swim it up off the back in a pinch. Usually redonning takes practice, premeditation and familiarizing oneself to the kit by feel only. It doesn't need to be pretty - just functional.

Put your rig on the couch, tangle everything up wear a bulky jacket and blindfold yourself. Practice putting it on. Reaching behind your head you should be able to tell which hose is which and trace them out to reposition as needed. Not every skill need be practiced in water first.

If, after practice, one still cannot doff and don it may be time to look at the kit. In that case I recommend the Hawaiian pack. I can doff and don that puppy all day.

PansSiren, if you can't back kick you can still use your arms to shimmy the BC up and off you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom